Disembarking/Customs for non-US citizens is awful and lengthy.

In case it helps someone who is planning a flight right after getting off the ship, I wanted to add my experience with getting off the Liberty once we reached Port in Galveston.

We opted for a late disembarkation time. We were given number 24 and left our rooms a little after 9am (poor room attendants were trying to get in and things cleaned up for the next cruise). As per the information we had received the night before, we went to the Star lounge with a proposed disembarkation of 10-15am. That all went smoothly and in fact, around 9:45 they were telling everyone that they could get off the ship.

We walked to the 1st floor and off the ship and found our luggage all within 10 minutes. Easy peasy. We then joined a pretty fast moving line that was aiming into the area where the Customs officers were. Again, everything was moving along very speedily. A lady who works there just kept shouting loudly for all US citizens to move along and feed into lines 1-8 to go through customs. I'm not a US citizen. The 3 children with me are and I have my green card, but a British passport. So I asked her where do you go if you're not a US citizen (because she wasn't saying anything about that only 'All US citizens go to lines 1-8) and she directed us to a separate line, where we stood...and stood.. and stood. In 45 minutes we moved maybe 15 feet. The family in front of me were also mostly US citizens but were travelling with some in-laws who, like me, had their green cards and were legal permanent residents but were not citizens. The gentlemen asked several people who worked there why people with green cards had to go in the lines with people who were neither US citizens nor permanent residents and each time was told that was the way it was.

I've traveled in and out of the country extensively by car and air but not by sea and have never had to stand in a line like this. The entire ship had disembarked and we had still only moved maybe 30 feet ... and had about 100 feet more to go. They had 2 lanes open and it was unbelievable how slowly they moved. Finally, about 15 minutes after lines 1-8 had been empty, they opened them to us and of course everyone from the back of the line surged forward to the empty lanes. The entire process took 1 hour and 50 minutes and we only had to move about 100 feet. Once at the customs desk they checked everyone's passport and facial features and fingerprinted me (not my US children). But this is what had been taking so long. The fingerprint scanner wasn't very efficient and it took 3 attempts to get mine to read right. My kids were pretty fed up with me (mum, you've been here since 1990, why aren't you a citizen? Mum, can we go through the US line and wait for you outside? Whhhyyyy aren't you a citizen?) I felt like I could have applied for citizenship in the time it took to get through that line. It's sort of becoming incentive for me before I go on my cruise next October :rolleyes:

Anyway, I wanted to forewarn everyone who is not, or is travelling with someone who is not, a US citizen that this may be a problem for you if you book a flight out of town too soon after you plan on getting off the ship!

Every time I've disembarked in a US port it has been a nightmare for non US residents. Waiting 3hrs last year in Miami standing in a shed and not once did anyone apologise for the delay. Just some irate US border agency woman shouting loudly random unhelpful things. This year after many trips I think will be my last due to the unwelcoming reception. Ironically the best port was at New York where I was probed, scanned, finger printed etc. But within 30 minutes..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FYI--On one of the roll calls for a cruise next year, there has been a big discussion about "global entry." This is a program [it costs $100 to apply--but lasts for 5 years] that makes you a trusted traveler. There are special "short" lines at airports and [some] cruise terminals for this. You apply on line and then go for an interview.

If you travel very much this could be worthwhile for you. It gives you a TSA pre-check at airports, too.

I do not have this [so can not give a personal experience]--but, those on our roll call swear by this. DH and I are thinking of applying.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Well crap. I'm a green card holder (Canadian passport) and my husband and kids are citizens. Sailing out of Galveston at the end of this month. Standing in the customs line with a baby for 2 hours sounds like an epic nightmare.

Of those who just went to the regular line, where did you debark? Hoping I can try this out in Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FYI--On one of the roll calls for a cruise next year, there has been a big discussion about "global entry." This is a program [it costs $100 to apply--but lasts for 5 years] that makes you a trusted traveler. There are special "short" lines at airports and [some] cruise terminals for this. You apply on line and then go for an interview.

If you travel very much this could be worthwhile for you. It gives you a TSA pre-check at airports, too.

I do not have this [so can not give a personal experience]--but, those on our roll call swear by this. DH and I are thinking of applying.

We have global entry and love it. We are US citizens but it is available for non US citizens also. you get TSA precheck for all your flights (you enter your trusted traveler number in your airline profile). For cruises, we also take the card they give you. We had global entry in Port Everglades. Even our 3 year old granddaughter has it! Makes traveling with her easier.

Wonder how they handle senior citizens who no longer have fingerprints. I had to be printed 3 times for a FL government issued card and each time I had no fingerprints. They finally had to do an FBI check on me before they could issue my card.

They explained than many/most women over 70 no longer have fingerprints, and they said it was due to all of the cleaning products we use over the years.

As an Aussie, we have the same problems with the US border control. The Americans we were travelling with to St Petersburg did not believe us that the Russian border control people were more polite and nicer to us that the US ones were.

As an Aussie, we have the same problems with the US border control. The Americans we were travelling with to St Petersburg did not believe us that the Russian border control people were more polite and nicer to us that the US ones were.

You should have gone to Mexico and then walked over the US border. They would have given you healthcare, welfare, and allowed you to vote.;)

Wonder how they handle senior citizens who no longer have fingerprints. I had to be printed 3 times for a FL government issued card and each time I had no fingerprints. They finally had to do an FBI check on me before they could issue my card.

They explained than many/most women over 70 no longer have fingerprints, and they said it was due to all of the cleaning products we use over the years.

Cleaning products? What are those :confused: :p I guess I'll have my fingerprints for life. Hahahaha

My worst immigration/customs experience by far was in Sydney, Australia. I'd checked on the form that I was carrying medication so I was directed to a very long line with two plane loads of people who had just arrived from Asia. Almost an hour later I had barely moved at all. I was just about to faint (goodness knows what that would have done for me) when an immigration officer saw me standing there and asked why I was in that line. I told him I had medication with me. He asked what I had and I told him I had my thyroid meds. He rolled his eyes and had me step out of line and head to the exit door. Made me wonder why the first guy to ask what I had didn't do the same thing. At any rate, my next trip to Oz will have my flying into Melbourne instead of Sydney in hopes of better results.

Edited by Cruzin-K

So far Global Entry is only available at Port Everglades, not in Galveston. And it is based on your US passports, I don't believe that others would be eligible for the program....although we received a letter that there was a similar program available for entry into Great Britain.

Edited by Coralc

We cruised out of Galveston a couple years ago. What frustrated me was, after moving very slowly through a very long line, we got close to the customs area only to find lines 1-8 for US residents and 1 line for non US residents. It took our line well over an hour from the time we could see the agent until,we actually got to him. There was only about 10-15 groups ahead of us. Finger printing and whatever else they had to do really slowed things up for us. Why only 1 line for non US residents . I would not think there were 8 times more US residents than residents from the rest of the world on our cruise.

Well crap. I'm a green card holder (Canadian passport) and my husband and kids are citizens. Sailing out of Galveston at the end of this month. Standing in the customs line with a baby for 2 hours sounds like an epic nightmare.

Of those who just went to the regular line, where did you debark? Hoping I can try this out in Galveston.

Go through the US line with your husband and children. You'll be fine.

So far Global Entry is only available at Port Everglades, not in Galveston. And it is based on your US passports, I don't believe that others would be eligible for the program....although we received a letter that there was a similar program available for entry into Great Britain.

Global entry is available to US residents that are on GC's. Do not need US passport. Correct Galveston does not have Global Entry.

Just for future reference, if you are traveling with US citizens and have a green card, you can go through the citizen line, this applies for airports too.

All other ports I agree. However our experience at Galveston is that as soon as they see a non US passport they move you to the non citizen line. YMMV but Galveston is not good for non US Citizens, even for those with GC's.

Edited by Spurschick

Just for future reference, if you are traveling with US citizens and have a green card, you can go through the citizen line, this applies for airports too.

I think the CBP agent processing the passport would have processed the OP's passport together with her US children. The OP should just have looked/asked for her children's line.

I never knew this existed. I'm a Canadian citizen and travel with my us citizen husband and Canadian children. I've always gone through the only customs line I saw. Once in NY, once in Ft lauderdale and last week in Tampa. I fill out the declaration form for US citizens claiming nothing on it as it doesn't apply to non US citizens and I go through with everyone else in the herd and never was told anything about a non US line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have global entry (nexus) and we went from picking up our luggage straight to customs (one family was ahead of us). Well worth it. The wait to hop in the airport shuttle was much longer than the customs line.

(This was at port Everglades)

I never knew this existed. I'm a Canadian citizen and travel with my us citizen husband and Canadian children. I've always gone through the only customs line I saw. Once in NY, once in Ft lauderdale and last week in Tampa. I fill out the declaration form for US citizens claiming nothing on it as it doesn't apply to non US citizens and I go through with everyone else in the herd and never was told anything about a non US line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Each port is different. Some ports I've seen everyone is in one line. As others have mentioned, Port Everglades one of the terminals has a GOES line and a separate suite line which bypasses the regular line as well.

The last time we were at Galveston there were lines only partitioned by lines on the floor, and each line had a number screen above the immigration officers desk with a brief sign that said US or Non US. It was very basic wording.

I know Galveston is undergoing a renovation. I don't think the arrivals area is complete yet (please correct if I am wrong). I hope it improves once it is complete.

We have a mix of US citizens and Green card holders in our family also. We always all get into the regular US citizen line together as a group and have never had a problem.

When I was using a green card I used to go in the "Aliens" line but any officer checking the line would always redirect me to the US citizen line and usually at the station the officer there would say "Welcome Home". This was at multiple airports but especially at "home" airport, DFW. Now a US citizen:D so no more trouble.