Pizza question

theriac

So whenever I watch a travel show such as Rick Steves, Rudy Maxa or Anthony Bourdain they all seem to order a full pizza for themselves as do the people they are eating with. Sometimes it gets folded up to eaten on the street.

Is this common to do? It seems like so much food to get, but I'd hate to order it wrong.

I also know there is places they weigh the food which is easy to figure out. I'm just curious especially in Naples or Rome when it comes to ordering a real pizza if I should order my own or we should split one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Depends.

In restaurants, individual round pizzas are pretty common.

But, at least in Rome, plenty of stand up places are serving the thick-style pizza "al taglio". you are charged b the size of the "piece" you select. The pizziolo will cut your slice to order. Pricing is by the kilo. Order "un etto" and it'll get you about 1/4lb of pizza.

Anthony Bourdain has never ordered and eaten an entire pizza at Pizzarium ;) Find his episode in Rome where he goes there. Now, he and Mario Batali HAVE ordered an entire pizza at Emma Pizzeria; so have I :D

I know I named Anthony Bourdain but I just meant shows like those 3 broadcasters produce. From his show is where I saw that pizza is by the size you want and charged by weight.

I guess I'm more curious about Naples where it seems like they give you an entire pizza from the different shows I've seen from there.

If you order pizza in a restaurant you get an entire one meant for one person, although if it's an appetizer two may share it. They are the size of a large plate or a charger plate.

I have never seen pizza in Italy that looks like what we have in the States. Pizza al taglio more closely resembles what we would call a Sicilian pie here, thicker and rectangular in shape. Individual pizzas are extremely thin, small and round and are always (in my experience) sold to be eaten sitting at the table with a knife and fork (at least initially, because when they are hot they are too soupy to be picked up by hand). In some places you can order these for take out.

Edited by euro cruiser

Pizza in Europe doesn't have the volume you see in the US. 2 or 3 toppings is the most, the cheese, sauce and crust are less volume. Not that they don't taste great- they absolutely do have great taste. But if you are expecting 10 toppings, thick crust, and it will stuff you, that just doesn't happen.

I agree- they are sized to be a fair meal for one, or a light meal or appetizer if split between two.

Edited by CruiserBruce

When in Naples (or Sorrento, etc.) order an insalata caprese to share and a pizza each for main course. Or, an insalata each followed by a pizza to share. Or best yet, an insalata each and a pizza each... :D

BTW - make sure the menu says that the caprese (and the pizza) is made with mozzarella di buffala.

Edited by marazul

Generally if it's going to be sold by weight then you'll walk up to a counter where there will be a selection of pizza on offer. You'll order by type and weight - there's quite a few of these counter style restaurants in most Italian cities (and in fact, there's one near where I work in London as well).

If it's a sit down thing with a menu, then it'll be an individual round pizza.

I know I named Anthony Bourdain but I just meant shows like those 3 broadcasters produce. From his show is where I saw that pizza is by the size you want and charged by weight.

I guess I'm more curious about Naples where it seems like they give you an entire pizza from the different shows I've seen from there.

The Anthony Bourdain show that had the pizza (The Layover) was done at one of my favorite pizza places on earth, Pizzarium. I make it a point of stopping there for some pizza and suppli each time I am in Rome! Always something unique there to try - not your nanna's pizza toppings! The pizza is baked in big rectangular trays. You point out what you want, the server has the scissors and will move them up the pizza until you say that is the right size.

Pizzarium is right outside of the Cipro metro station on Via della Meloria. It's a tiny place (but now twice the size it used to be, you can fit 10 people in there instead of 5).

Most pizzas at restaurants across Italy are about large plate size and designed for 1 person. They are rarely cut in slices, and meant to be eaten with a fork and knife. The dough is often proved over a couple of days and toppings are minimal resulting in a light tasty pizza perfect for 1.

The OP mentioned "folding up" which is actually a New York City thing. Some of us would argue that NYC has the best pizza on earth. Having had more then my share in both places my vote goes to NYC. The Italian immigrants took an Italian idea and brought it to a new level.

Hank

That's a worthy quest! And it mentions Slidergirl's Pizzaarium.

Not surprisingly, 7 of the 20 are in Naples.

I'll vouch for the yumminess of the potato and mozzarella pizza!!! And, I'll take any veggie "slice" that has rocket (arugula) on it - love that spiciness up against what else is put on top.

One more website that I will recommend is Katie Parla's site (just do firstnamelastname.com). She is a frequent contributor to big-time travel magazines, but her blog site is full of up to date places to go.

Edited by slidergirl

When in Rome, you can go to Pizza Hut and get Individual, medium, large pizzas.

So order based on your appetite!

Fortunately, no you cannot. This is one atrocity that we have not yet inflicted on Italy (like Starbucks, but that's supposedly about to happen in Milan). You can find them in Germany, France, Spain, Greece, Belgium, etc.

https://order.pizzahut.com/international

So whenever I watch a travel show such as Rick Steves, Rudy Maxa or Anthony Bourdain they all seem to order a full pizza for themselves as do the people they are eating with. Sometimes it gets folded up to eaten on the street.

Is this common to do? It seems like so much food to get, but I'd hate to order it wrong.

I also know there is places they weigh the food which is easy to figure out. I'm just curious especially in Naples or Rome when it comes to ordering a real pizza if I should order my own or we should split one.

Honestly, we were not at all impressed with the pizza in Italy. I'm spoiled, I guess. But do not be afraid to ask questions of the staff. They are accustomed to answering questions. I found all the Italian wait staff so helpful and happy to answer questions.

Honestly, we were not at all impressed with the pizza in Italy. I'm spoiled, I guess. But do not be afraid to ask questions of the staff. They are accustomed to answering questions. I found all the Italian wait staff so helpful and happy to answer questions.

To each his own. Hopefully, you weren't looking for American-style pizza. I'll take a well-made Margherita over anything I've found in the US.

Whose pizza in Colorado has you spoiled? I've got some friends who live in Aurora and then in Breckenridge, so I'd like to tell them of a good place if it's nearby...

If you have ever sailed on a Princess ship with both Prego's and Alfredo's, Pregos on the Lido deck by the pool is New York style pizza, Alfredo's restaurant has more of a Neopolitian style pizza. Haven eaten and loved New York style pizza all my life, I now prefer the thin-crusted Neopolitian pizza with minimal toppings, sweet marinara sauce, a little fresh cheese, and lots of basil. More and more places here in the US are using wood-fired ovens for their pizza. They make the crust so nice and crispy!

• 2 weeks later...
To each his own. Hopefully, you weren't looking for American-style pizza. I'll take a well-made Margherita over anything I've found in the US.

Whose pizza in Colorado has you spoiled? I've got some friends who live in Aurora and then in Breckenridge, so I'd like to tell them of a good place if it's nearby...

I'd like to know the answer to that as well. I am in Colorado Springs and haven't found anything great in pizza, except one place in Old Colorado City that does brick over pizza that is excellent. reminds me of Italy.

Unfortunately, they are on the other side of town so I don't get there often.

Lois