What to wear!

shortstop95

First time Princess cruiser - wondering about dress code for dinner. We like to get dressed up (typically tux and cocktail dress on elegant nights on Carnival). What is the norm on Proncess? We are doing a 5 night on the Royal Princess. Is there an elegant/formal night on a five day? Dress code for specialty restaurants?

Any input is appreciated!

Should not be a formal night on a 5 day cruise. Dress code on all other nights is pretty much open except in the Nain Dning room where they frown on shorts, tshirts and other beach style attire. Zsame for the specialty dining rooms. You will see all sorts of dress in both though.

When we first starting cruising in '94 our guys went all out. They did the tux, we did the long dresses or gowns. That was over 20 cruises ago!! Now the guys do the suit and we do the fancy slacks with a fancy top. In the main dining room guys usually wear slacks with a nice shirt. I choose to wear capris with a nice top. It is up to the individual and what your comfortable with. There is a dress code for no shorts, tank tops. I've seen both in the dining room and nothing was said to the wearer!!! Once I saw the wearer being told that shorts weren't allowed. There will always be the person who thinks rules don't apply to them. Heaven help the person who has to sit with the guy in the tank top, that would definitely ruin my appetite!!

Happy cruising and I'm sure you'll look fine in whatever you choose to wear.

Carol

Edited by Carol P.

Yes! It may have been the same maitre'd that we had on the Golden a couple of years ago.

We always change for dinner, I wear a cocktail dress (you may feel overdressed in a gown for "dress to impress" night on 5 day) & my DH wears Dockers or black dress pants & button down shirt.

We are currently on the Grand and they only said "no shorts." My son went to dinner last night in a dark gray t-shirt and jeans. I've seen lots of jeans, with some fashionably ripped. Tonight is formal. We'll see how that goes.

Denise

On a "regular" night - not a formal night - I had someone make a comment about my shirt. Apparently he didn't think it was nice enough. I told him it was a Tommy Bahama and cost over $120 and I thought it was plenty "nice" enough for the MDR on a non-formal night. He said that was, "wrong on so many levels". I hate snobs.

I wear a suit for formal night but other nights, especially as this was a Mexican Riviera Cruise, I don't have a problem with a nice Tommy.

First time Princess cruiser - wondering about dress code for dinner. We like to get dressed up (typically tux and cocktail dress on elegant nights on Carnival). What is the norm on Proncess? We are doing a 5 night on the Royal Princess. Is there an elegant/formal night on a five day? Dress code for specialty restaurants?

There will be 1.

There's a formal night on a 5-day cruise. Most passengers dressed up nicely, most men in suits. Saw a few tuxes.

Yes, according to the Cruise Answer Place on the Princess website (and I strongly suggest the OP take a look at it as there's a lot of good info here), there is a formal night on 5-day cruises:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/dining_nightlife.jsp

On a "regular" night - not a formal night - I had someone make a comment about my shirt. Apparently he didn't think it was nice enough. I told him it was a Tommy Bahama and cost over $120 and I thought it was plenty "nice" enough for the MDR on a non-formal night. He said that was, "wrong on so many levels". I hate snobs.

I wear a suit for formal night but other nights, especially as this was a Mexican Riviera Cruise, I don't have a problem with a nice Tommy.

What a tool! Tropical shirts, no matter the brand, are great for smart casual dining. that's what my hubby wears (along with slacks) and he never has been told they're not nice enough. He also wears a regular suit on formal nights (he doesn't have a dark suit but this was the suit he bought for promotional interviews at work over the years so it's not a cheap suit).

There will be 1 formal night for your tux and cocktail dress. Smart casual at MDR and specialty restaurants.

I have never done five nights, but I think there's one.

Tux will be about 10%

Dark suit and tie maybe 70-75%

Enjoy yourself exactly how you describe it!

Have fun! :)

Tropical and Batik Tribal print shirts are perfectly fine on smart casual nights. I can't believe someone commented on it. Over the years I wore my cheap print shirts that I purchased at the end of the summer season and I blended in with all of the other men wearing them. I don't have much use for them living here on Long Island so I'm not willing to pay Tommy Bahama prices just to hang in my closet. Although I have to say living in the Northeast you can pick up some nice end the the season sales on Tommy Bahama.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I tend to wear those same type of shirts on a cruise. I'm pretty sure that if that happened to me my reply back to the guy probably would have been "wrong on so many levels". :D

I would agree with you about snobs, although, this guy sounds like he was simply boorish.

Edited by ar1950

On a "regular" night - not a formal night - I had someone make a comment about my shirt. Apparently he didn't think it was nice enough. I told him it was a Tommy Bahama and cost over $120 and I thought it was plenty "nice" enough for the MDR on a non-formal night.

What an idiot that guy must have been! To say that to your face? Who does he think he is?

Did you find out what name he posts under here? :)

Edited by pablo222

On a non formal night, DH wears docker's and a tropical shirt or golf shirt.

I wear a nice capris, nice top and sandals.

Formal, dark suit for DH, for me, black Palazzo pants and a dressy top.

Don't over think it. Most lines are more casual now. ;)