Debarking and Flight Times

Ref2551

Well, you may be arriving at 7 am but you will not be disembarking then. The first passengers can usually self-disembark about 30 minutes after docking. I think a noon flight is a comfortable cushion and since the airport is only minutes away, grab a taxi and you should be good to go. :)

For a presumed international flight, it is only a little tight but easily doable.

How much you will need to move quickly depends on the day of the week and which ship you are on. If on the Allure/Harmony of the Seas which start disembarkation before 6:30, no need to be one of the first ones off the ship. But if your ship does not start disembarkation until 8:00 (as Princess often does) you may want to either do self-carry or be in the very first timed group.

You will be fine. Normally we go for a flight 11 or after from FLL.

Years ago, one of the best tips I learned on Cruise Critic was when entering the luggage terminal, hold up some cash and grab a porter.

He will get your luggage quickly, through customs and hail you a taxi in no time.

There is no need to carry your own luggage off.

Works like charm every time for us. :)

We are returning to Fort Lauderdale at 7 AM on Nov. 18th, our return flight time has been changed to noon. Will this create a problem with regards making it to the Airport on time?

You will be perfectly fine. Do the "self disembark" and you will still have PLENTY of time. We did the self disembark our of Ft. Lauderdale twice....both times, our flights were at 9:45. We were at the airport a little after 7. Noon is VERY do-able. Don't listen to the nay=sayers.

You will be perfectly fine. Do the "self disembark" and you will still have PLENTY of time. We did the self disembark our of Ft. Lauderdale twice....both times, our flights were at 9:45. We were at the airport a little after 7. Noon is VERY do-able. Don't listen to the nay=sayers.

The so-called "nay-sayers" points are entirely valid as we do not have the complete story from the OP:

Are they on an international flight? (Assuming yes as they are from Canada)

What day of the week? What time of the year?

Which ship/cruise line are they coming in on? Many do NOT start disembarkation anywhere near early enough to be at the airport "a little after 7" as you were able to.

ETA:..and hasn't even been firmly established that they are flying home from FLL in the first place.

Edited by fishywood

I don't understand why the airlines request people arrive earlier for international flights. It takes exactly the same amount of time to check in and go through security as it does for domestic.

A couple of times overseas, we've had to go through an extra security for flights returning, but still had plenty of time.

I don't understand why the airlines request people arrive earlier for international flights. It takes exactly the same amount of time to check in and go through security as it does for domestic.

A couple of times overseas, we've had to go through an extra security for flights returning, but still had plenty of time.

I think it had to do with the fact there are now things that can go wrong with an international flight and having extra time gives you that cushion to deal with the potential glitches.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

The so-called "nay-sayers" points are entirely valid as we do not have the complete story from the OP:

Are they on an international flight? (Assuming yes as they are from Canada)

What day of the week? What time of the year?

Which ship/cruise line are they coming in on? Many do NOT start disembarkation anywhere near early enough to be at the airport "a little after 7" as you were able to.

ETA:..and hasn't even been firmly established that they are flying home from FLL in the first place.

Their flight is at NOON. Which by the way is what the cruise lines suggest.

I think it had to do with the fact there are now things that can go wrong with an international flight and having extra time gives you that cushion to deal with the potential glitches.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

What sort of "things" could cause the passenger to need additional time to check in and get to his/ her gate? I just can't think of one.

On international flights more (or, at least, different) documentation is required - not just a photo ID like a license, but demonstration that the passenger is eligible to enter the destination country: the airline is not interested in being responsible to fly someone not eligible back to point of origin.

Also, it just makes sense to have a little more wiggle room--- if you miss a domestic flight, the odds are pretty good that there will be a later one to the same destination -- not so likely on an international flight. The old rule applies: the more inconvenient missing a flight will be, the more important it is to make sure you do not miss it.

Pudgesmom, in addition to the two replies before me, on international/overseas flights you might be more likely to have extra suitcases (I know we certainly do!). It takes time to weigh them and tag them at the check-in counter. Well, even if you don't have more than one bag, there are sure to be couples and families ahead of you in line who are not packing lightly! :p All of this takes time, too.