Are you thinking of giving up on NCL?

spanishguy1970

I've sailed NCL, Royal, MSC and Carnival. I can Honestly say that I never had a bad cruise, though i do have my favorites. I would never say never about cruising any particular line. They all have their pluses and minuses.I'm booked on the Sky for march, and am thinking about the Escape for 2018.I'm also going on Princess for the first time next Dec.

I have been on over 43 cruises and my last 4 have been on NCL and all on the GEM. I happen to love the ship and truly love Cruising Freestyle. They have so many different options, you can do everything or nothing. You have the choice. I think they have a lot to offer and I can remember back in the day almost 20 years ago even 15 years ago NCL was not in the game, but now with all their new ships and the refurbishing of the older ones, I was so impressed and put my deposit down for 2 more cruises. Looking forward to their new Private Island in Belize and sailing the Escape.

I've never sailed NCL so I can't speak to giving up on it quite yet; I'm on the opposite side of wanting to give it a try.

I've read some comparisons between Royal Caribbean (the only line I've sailed) and NCL, and so I've started to read the NCL boards. I have noticed the large amount of threads regarding the constant changes and cutbacks and nickel and dining; however when I see that the NCL cruises are still 3 times LESS expensive than RCL, I just can't seem to convince myself that any of the complaints matter much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No giving up. Just getting warmed up! After a 20 year break from cruising, we sailed on the Epic for a western Mediterranean cruise this year and immediately booked the Sun for South America next year.

Oh South America would love to do that. I know there is one that goes to Brazil.

We started cruising in 1978 on Princess "Love Boat", and have over 40 cruises. We are going on NCL TA in Oct on the Jade, which is our 3rd NCL this year, and probably our last on NCL. We are top level on Celebrity & RCI, and have been on Carnival, Princess, Holland, Cunard & Disney.

We always enjoy ourselves, but too many cut-backs and lack of customer service. Won't go into details here, but last 3 problems were changes that were not to have affected us (we confirmed price, package, etc before sailing, had e-mails confirming, etc, but they still wouldn't honor). Always bring copies of whatever you have received!

As for price, we have received better deals on Celebrity for what we consider a nicer ship. Plus, NCL used to cruise to Mexican Riviera, but cutting back there.

I just got back from a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on Getaway (9/4 sailing), and I had a blast for a lot less money than I would have paid on any other cruise line. I had specialty dining every night, UBP, and a spa balcony for less than $1,400. And that's sailing as a solo. Plus I got $200 off my shore excursions.

Spice H2O was excellent. (Although I'm going to start a campaign to get more umbrellas back there.) The thermal suite was excellent. The food was excellent. The ports were awesome. The crew were warm and friendly as ever. And Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet were fantastic. My Getaway cruise was everything I want in a vacation for not very much money.

I have two more Norwegian cruises booked, and I bought two Cruise Next certificates, so that makes at least four future Norwegian cruises.

Not giving up on NCL, but it has lost it's "preferred status" with us. From now on, it's price and itinerary with no consideration given to how great NCL is/was. We are, for the first time in 4 years, actively looking at trying other lines.

I agree, My three favorites are Princess, NCL, and Holland. I have reached the highest loyalty levels on all three lines. I currently have two cruises booked with NCL.

With that said NCL was always my first choice, but in the last 5 cruises it isn't what it once was only my opinion. Where they have lost me is their customer service. We have had a couple of issues and will now call them customer no service.

lengthy I know but if the intinerary and price is right I will sail them again. But for know it is at least number three on the list.

I've cruised 7 times, all on NCL, all have been excellent. I can count on on one hand the number of complaints I've had (nothing to write home about either).

I'll try other lines in years to come, but for now I love NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'd like to try another line for my next cruise. I turned away from Carnival after 3 cruises and have sailed with NCL 4 times. The lack of discounts or perks for Latitudes Silver members for my upcoming NCL Mexican Riviera booking has kind of turned me off.

I've never sailed NCL so I can't speak to giving up on it quite yet; I'm on the opposite side of wanting to give it a try.

I've read some comparisons between Royal Caribbean (the only line I've sailed) and NCL, and so I've started to read the NCL boards. I have noticed the large amount of threads regarding the constant changes and cutbacks and nickel and dining; however when I see that the NCL cruises are still 3 times LESS expensive than RCL, I just can't seem to convince myself that any of the complaints matter much.

I see you posted this again. Other than the Liberty out of Galveston Thanksgiving week being 3x more expensive is that true for all sailings? Definitely not

Bill

I would love to see more southern Caribbean itineraries from Florida, that's for sure!

I'm about to embark on my 28th NCL cruise and agree completely about southern Caribbean itineraries. I primarily sail from Miami as I live close by and wish there were more port choices than St. Thomas, Nassau and Tortola.

Tracy

We have been loyal to NCL and I have thought that we should stay loyal to NCL.

When we found out that a seven night cruise on the Epic next summer should cost more than $1000 more than our twelve night cruise on the Breakaway last year we started to think about alternatives.

Our TA gave us MCS Meraviglia as an alternative and we have booked that. A Yacht Club suite on Meraviglia cost more than $3000 less than a Haven suite on the Epic. That's much for seven nights!

We have only cruised DCL & NCL, but I love Freestyle cruising. Cagney's and other specialty restaurants are a great experience for us - I much prefer that over Palo, which was grossly overrated for breakfast and dinner IMO. That and considering I can get a NCL suite for the price of 2 DCL insides, I see it as no contests.

Of course nothing is perfect, and there are things NCL can improve on (see line on wait for kids club), but with NCL I have loved not only the staff but my fellow cruisers. On DCL I ran into so many entitled cruisers who felt they could stomp over anyone they wanted bc of the price they paid. On NCL everyone I spoke to was kind. Of course, I may have a different opinion on my February Haven sailing, so maybe ask me then hahaha.

Not giving up on NCL, but it has lost it's "preferred status" with us. From now on, it's price and itinerary with no consideration given to how great NCL is/was. We are, for the first time in 4 years, actively looking at trying other lines.

This sums it up for us as well.

Don't prefer any line, I look for cruises with ports we haven't been to Southern is top of the list.

Value/perks to me is what I take into consideration also. NCL has that right now. Unfortunately the southern route ( ABC ) islands are are more prevelant on others. So I am looking at others!

My biggest issue with NCL is trust. I have no faith the product I book is the product I will receive. Things change on a dime.

That said, they have also raised prices to the point where other lines can often match and BEAT the overall value I get on NCL for similar cruises.

I have not totally given up on NCL. I USED to love their product. I'm wishy washy now. I will not be purchasing any more fcc's for the moment. I DO plan on purchasing a Princess one while I'm in the Panama on them, provided I am happy with their product.

With prices so close between various lines, I am now looking around. Change can be a good thing. I'm not writing ANY line off at the moment. It is time to look around and experience some variety. Perhaps Del Rio has done me a favor. At the least, in a few years, I'll have a better idea as to whether NCL is still a value to me.

Nope. Not giving up on NCL or any other cruise line. I love cruising. I like NCL for freestyle dining, casual dress code and their entertainment. I like other cruise lines for reasons of their own. If NCL offers us what we are looking for in a certain cruise (our wants are different for every cruise we take), at a price we are willing to pay then they will be our choice. They are not always our choice (about 25% of the time to date) but they have done nothing that would eliminate them from my short list of cruises to choose from if they end up on it.