Chops Upgraded Steaks

tgloersen

Hello all, super exited about our cruise coming up in just over 3 weeks on Oasis, first time on this class ship so should be a cool experience.

My question is, for the people who already had a Chops dinner, are the upgraded steaks (the ones you pay extra) worth it?

I don't mind paying as i'm on vacation, but was hoping to get an opinion from one that has tried them.

On a side note i did notice the general price increase to $42, but i booked when it was still $39 whoopeee!

Thanks to all!

TG

They are better steaks than in the Main Dining room. Of course that is not saying much. OTOH, they are not as good as a great land based steak house. Because they are cooked using electric grills (no open flames on a ship), they are good, but not great.

Hi and thanks for the reply, but just to clarify, we will be eating at chops, and on the menu there are upgraded steaks for an additional cost above the (now $42/pp) cover charge. Just wondering if anyone tried these?

The taste of any food is so subjective, and as such, what I like or dislike you may think completely opposite. While I don't wish to place a pre-concieved notion of your future visit to Chops, you did ask. :) We've tried the standard menu steaks and have paid the upgrade steaks. To be honest, we didn't care for them. I believe the biggest issue is they are not char-broiled and therefore to us they are bland in flavor.

Our upcoming cruise in a couple of weeks, we have elected to get our steak on for the week while on land in Aruba. Adventure departs very late in the evening on the Aruba stop so we've made reservations at El Gaucho.

But please do try to keep an open mind and enjoy your visit to Chops! and your cruise!

The taste of any food is so subjective, and as such, what I like or dislike you may think completely opposite. While I don't wish to place a pre-concieved notion of your future visit to Chops, you did ask. :) We've tried the standard menu steaks and have paid the upgrade steaks. To be honest, we didn't care for them. I believe the biggest issue is they are not char-broiled and therefore to us they are bland in flavor.

Our upcoming cruise in a couple of weeks, we have elected to get our steak on for the week while on land in Aruba. Adventure departs very late in the evening on the Aruba stop so we've made reservations at El Gaucho.

But please do try to keep an open mind and enjoy your visit to Chops! and your cruise!

Hi thanks, this is response is what i'm looking for, all opinions count, and i realize it is subjective, just trying to get a feel if i should spring for the dry-aged steaks or stay with whats included.

Earlier this year on the Serenade I got the dry aged porterhouse. Like you, I said "heck, I'm on vacation...." as I had never had an aged steak before. If you have never had an "aged" steak, they have a particular flavor that is different than a "normal" steak. I personally would not order the aged steak again, as the filet is just so good (at least to me). As an aside, you must absolutely try the grilled black peppercorn bacon. If you are really hungry, you can pay an upcharge and get an extra 9 oz filet. They also have a steak called the tomohawk (I believe), that you need to at least ask about just to see how ridiculously big it is. Will be on the Freedom in 9 days and can't wait to go back to Chops.

I have not personally tried the upgraded steaks at chops(the normal steaks are pretty good but honestly liked the steak in Giovanni's better) but almost all the reviews I have seen on the boards say it's not worth the extra money.

Edited by Lordnlkon

We cruise on average about every other year and usually do a land vacation in between. We cruise in October during our anniversary time and we have enjoyed Chops the times we have ate there on cruises just to have something different on the cruise for our anniversary. Is it better than a lot of the upscale land base steak houses, like Ruth Chris, Morton's, etc...... No I wouldn't say that. However when I compare the cost of let's say Ruth Chris which a lot of people want to compare Chops to, then Chops isn't bad in that aspect.

Here is the prices for typical dinner at Ruth Chris for what we would normally order at Chops for $35 or $39 or $42 a piece for the two of us. This is without desert and drinks added into the price:

Shrimp Cocktail x2 - $38

8oz Petit Filet (Me)- $39

Lamb Chops (Wife)= $41

2 Soups of The Day - $18

2 Caesar salads - $19

1 Mashed Potatoes - $9.50

1 Baked Potato - $8.50

1 Broccoli - $9

1 Roasted Brussels Sprouts - $11.50

1 Dipping Trio (Sauces) - $7

Total - $200.50

To me, dry aged steaks don't taste so much better than "wet aged" steaks to pay an upcharge. The quality of the Chops steak & sides compared to MDR is worth the charge, IMO. Although I've found Giovanni's to generally have the best filet on the ship, and I love Italian food. Especially when its all-you-can-eat lol.

Hi thanks, this is response is what i'm looking for, all opinions count, and i realize it is subjective, just trying to get a feel if i should spring for the dry-aged steaks or stay with whats included.

Good decision.

As mentioned, they are not flame seared...you could

do better on your own backyard grill.

I had the upscale NY Strip....waiter suggested medium, not

medium rare. It is a thick steak and needed the extra heat.

Also, the 'reduction' sauces are bland and add no flavor....but

they are cheap for the chef to make.

Ordered side of mushrooms and left off the sauces.

Good, but not like Mortons or Ruth Chris steakhouse on land.

I will be in chops soon..ordering the usual regular filet with

mashed potatos and lots of real butter, not the mix they make

with anchovies. Oh ya, and mushrooms on the side.

:D

Edited by Rocket3D

Hi and thanks for the reply, but just to clarify, we will be eating at chops, and on the menu there are upgraded steaks for an additional cost above the (now $42/pp) cover charge. Just wondering if anyone tried these?

Can't comment on the Oasis, but, I just had the aged porterhouse ($18) on the Empress. It was a excellent:), high quality, steak. IMHO well worth the upcharge.

I have never tried Chops or the extra fee steak. My son and DIL were on Allure last month. Son had the extra fee steak and was not impressed. (He is a bit of a steak snob). DIL had lobster and she said it was very good. I read reviews from other people on the same cruise who found the steak to be very good. Who knows what you will get.

I think it depends on what you are used to and what your expectations are.

If you are used to dry aged prime from say Luger (or an offshoot) or Keen's, it's not for you.

I don't eat at Morton's or Ruth Chris, because it's not as good as Luger or Keen's or Wolfgang's.

Tried the upgrade at Chops once and it's not even to the level of a higher end steakhouse chain like Morton's so I won't be doing it again.

I don't expect much from the MDR steaks, it's a cruise ship and it's "free" so I don't mind that they are mediocre but if I'm paying extra and about the same amount I'd spend at a high end steakhouse then I expect much better.

Earlier this year on the Serenade I got the dry aged porterhouse. Like you, I said "heck, I'm on vacation...." as I had never had an aged steak before. If you have never had an "aged" steak, they have a particular flavor that is different than a "normal" steak. I personally would not order the aged steak again, as the filet is just so good (at least to me). As an aside, you must absolutely try the grilled black peppercorn bacon. If you are really hungry, you can pay an upcharge and get an extra 9 oz filet. They also have a steak called the tomohawk (I believe), that you need to at least ask about just to see how ridiculously big it is. Will be on the Freedom in 9 days and can't wait to go back to Chops.

Can anyone else confirm about the tomahawk? I know NCL recently added that to their Cagney's menu, but have never seen that on a Chops menu. Would love to have it if they offer it!

They are better steaks than in the Main Dining room. Of course that is not saying much. OTOH, they are not as good as a great land based steak house. Because they are cooked using electric grills (no open flames on a ship), they are good, but not great.

she's referring to the ones in Chops that you pay an additional fee for ON TOP OF the seating charge. like Kobe or Wagyu.

I have never felt the need to pay for them as I find the included options more than adequate for the venue. I figure If I am going fork out $200 for a piece of Wagyu, I am going to have it in a land based restaurant where the potential for fresh versus frozen let alone cooked properly over open flame is greater.

Concerning the tomahawk, you have to make a special request to see it. Its not on the menu. I forget the specific additional upcharge but thought it was $50-$75. I just happened to see the waitress showing a different table and then asked "what is that?"...

Prime Tomahawk Ribeye :D

From Wassi's Meat Market in Melbourne, FL

They average around 3 pounds, meat alone sells for around $50 - $60 each :eek:

7022726_orig.jpg