Guys question - How to pack a suit

acp1119

For all the guys out there (or their women who pack for them), do you use a suit bag to pack your suit (tux)? My husband has a nice one that also has zipper compartment for shoes and stuff and he wants to use it. It's not as convenient to carry as a roll along suitcase. So what's your thoughts.

Thanks, Angela

My thoughts:

If you're driving to the port - suit bag is great idea - But you'd need to carry it through the boarding process because if you don't, what's the point?

If you're flying to the port - definitely not unless you're first class. It can't go in checked luggage without getting stuffed in a transport box and if you carry it onto the airplane you'll need to stuff it in the overhead if you are in coach. First Class, they'll hang it up for you.

For our anniversary cruise, we flew in so I folded my suit into my full-size checked luggage and it looked fine once on board.

Edited by WVBill

We used a garment bag once for suit and two cocktail dresses. We found it was a pain in the neck to deal with (in addition to our 2 other suitcases and a carry on) with little advantage. Both my husband's suit and tuxedo are tropical wool and easy to fold. The jacket is folded in half along the middle back seam and then the bottom of the jacket is folded up enough to fit the width of the suitcase. Pants are folded along natural crease and then in half about at the knees. Any wrinkles hang out in an hour or two.

Our suitcases have a hanger section with some retaining straps in the lid with a zipper cover. Just place on a hanger and fold it up to fit in the zippered area. When you arrive just re-hang in the closet. Never had a problem. The shirts and ties we fold and place into zip lock bags like we do all the rest of our clothing.

I use a dry cleaning plastic bag for the jacket. Fold in half putting the pants in the middle like a sandwich. Then I lay it flat in the checked bag between layers. It always arrives with minimum wrinkles if at all that easily hang out before the 1st formal nite.

We have this too. Its a dream for suits and cocktail dresses. It also has 2 side compartments for shoes.

I thought it was funny. We priced the bag at Macy's (always high of course) and a couple of other places and then discovered it was vastly cheaper to order it directly from the manufacturer's web site! I think it was something like $150 - $200 cheaper that way. Just shows how much the stores mark things up.

As someone who lives on the road pack in travel pro Carryon. When you get to your room hang it. If it still has wrinkles after a couple of hours, steam it in the shower for 15 minutes and hang overnight.

Edited by MrMan

Thanks everyone. Hopefully all your posts will convince my husband to pack it in the suitcase and forget the suit bag. I think the suit bag will just be a pain. And also maybe now he won't pack his suit, just a sports coat. But everyone here is just great. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully all your posts will convince my husband to pack it in the suitcase and forget the suit bag. I think the suit bag will just be a pain. And also maybe now he won't pack his suit, just a sports coat. But everyone here is just great. Thanks again.

One more suggestion. See thumbnail. I may be about to purchase this carry-on:

http://www.josbank.com/bankroll-garment-bag?CAWELAID=430003740001887593&catargetid=430003740002627824&cadevice=c&gclid=CKT1n4TclM8CFQeTfgodPgEPiQ

Cheers!

Unknown.jpeg.88ec40d0ea0c5e4f5576e08906dc6aed.jpeg

Put pants on bottom of suitcase long way with waist at top, let excess hang out of bottom. Layer in opposite directions until all in. Put shirts and other soft stuff on top. When almost full, fold over the bottom lengths of pants onto the filling of clothes. We travel with our own pillows so dress pillow in jacket and any formal shirts, taking care with arms and put on top/ Always arrives in fine shape.