Oh no, another dress code question!

Adammara

Dress Code is rarely a problem on board so the discussions here are more theoretical and deal with minutiae. if you forget to bring a jacket to dinner, the assistant maitre will remind you sometimes. As to formal nights, if you've got a tie, jacket and slacks you can pass and the tie can be pretty loose around the neck and top button unbuttoned if you really do not like constricting clothing. There are no shoe or sock police. There is a significant number of passengers who view the QM2 as transportation on the TA runs as they do not like to fly. Hope this helps.

Agree

also you will see during the late late evenings in the Bars Bow ties undone hanging down from the shirt and jackets on the back of ones chair. With The Passengers thoroughly enjoying themselves. (The Clothes Police have retired to bed by then):D

Edited by Pennbank

Crikey, Keith, please take it easy on prospective passengers! The older ranks of rowers are hanging up their oars and we need to fill the ranks. :D

Happy Shavuot,

Salacia

Indeed, I can see the younger Australian would be Cunarders cancelling their bookings on QM2/QV/QE. Think of all the alcohol revenue Cunard would miss out on, as us Colonials are partial to plenty of adult beverages, tis a hot country.

This could be our first and last Cunard voyage then, we shall see. Traditionalists, I promise to wear a blazer on non formal nights and on formal nights a dark business suit or Tuxedo, I actually have both. Have to see what I can fit in the 20kg max weight suitcase as have to fly home from HK. I could have million sets of chopsticks in the said case.

Edited by NSWP

... Have to see what I can fit in the 20kg max weight suitcase as have to fly home from HK. ...
Hi NSWP,

I know many of the UK "fly-cruise" Mediterranean Cruise trips use Cunard charter flights with a strict upper limit on luggage weight.

In my ignorance I assumed that Cunard would simply book seats on a scheduled flight for Hong Kong-Australia passengers following their cruise. But you're saying Cunard use a charter flight, with tight luggage allowance, instead?

I hope you have a great time with Cunard,

Best wishes :)

Hi NSWP,

I know many of the UK "fly-cruise" Mediterranean Cruise trips use Cunard charter flights with a strict upper limit on luggage weight.

In my ignorance I assumed that Cunard would simply book seats on a scheduled flight for Hong Kong-Australia passengers following their cruise. But you're saying Cunard use a charter flight, with tight luggage allowance, instead?

I hope you have a great time with Cunard,

Best wishes :)

G'day Pepper, no charter flights for us. We bought the QM2, Sydney-HK as cruise only, direct from Cunard, 16 days, with free balcony upgrade to sheltered balcony, deck 5 for us @ AU$3200 which is around 1900 quid sterling, also got US$100 obc each plus I got US$250 defence force (retired) obc. Happy with all that. We booked our own flight home, on Qantas, HK to Sydney, Post cruise we are having 3 nights at the Novotel Hotel, Kowloon, HK.

I know Cunard and your P &O do the fly cruises a lot, but not here. Qantas uses ye olde Boeing 747's on the HK-Sydney route, 20 kg max per passenger. We can handle that, just have to take light clothes, save for formal gear. It will be tropics all the way.

We probably have enough Qantas FF points to apply for an upgrade to Premium Economy, which gives us a 30 kg baggage allowance, plus better seat, more space and nice catering and drinkies. Might go for that.

Thanks for your interest and happy voyaging to you m'lady.

Edited by NSWP

Hi NSWP

G'day Pepper, no charter flights for us. We bought the QM2, Sydney-HK as cruise only, direct from Cunard, ... Qantas uses ye olde Boeing 747's on the HK-Sydney route, 20 kg max per passenger. ...
I am surprised. Must be a Quantas thing.

Over here in the UK on scheduled flights with BA and Virgin et al. the free allowance per economy passenger is a little more generous at 23kg I think... However you can easily take 2 cases in economy if you wish (merely paying a small amount (recently I was quoted £60) for the second case).

I am amazed that Quantas don't do something similar.

A "max" of 20kg is very tight indeed for a scheduled flight; some passengers must really struggle.

We probably have enough Qantas FF points to apply for an upgrade to Premium Economy, which gives us a 30 kg baggage allowance, plus better seat, more space and nice catering and drinkies. Might go for that.

I would. Premium economy can be great value, if chosen carefully.

Thanks for your interest and happy voyaging to you m'lady.
(Incidentally, not a "m'lady" :D ).

Have the most fantastic time on board my favourite ship, QM2. Bon Voyage :)

Edited by pepperrn

Have just completed a return crossing from Southampton to New York and back. (Review to follow) 3 formal nights on each leg. I did comply with the dress code but, a very big but, could not detect any difference in the so called ambiance on any of the six evenings. Out I was late sitting in Britannia, back any time in Britannia Club. Menus at dinner no different, bars too crowded for pre-dinner drinks, and too many (polite) photographers. Lot of people looking uncomfortable and overdressed. It strikes me that it is a bit like the emperors clothes, nothing there at all!

Have just completed a return crossing from Southampton to New York and back. (Review to follow) 3 formal nights on each leg. I did comply with the dress code but, a very big but, could not detect any difference in the so called ambiance on any of the six evenings. Out I was late sitting in Britannia, back any time in Britannia Club. Menus at dinner no different, bars too crowded for pre-dinner drinks, and too many (polite) photographers. Lot of people looking uncomfortable and overdressed. It strikes me that it is a bit like the emperors clothes, nothing there at all!

Hope you had two wonderful crossings! One of life's great pleasures is a TA on the QM2.

I do agree that there is not much difference in the ambiance of formal vs informal nights on a QM2 crossing [at least there was not on the one voyage I have under my belt]. However, one must remember that Cunard is a more formal line in general so even on informal nights people are often dressed up more formally than even "formal nights" on other lines. Jackets are always required for men in the evenings so it makes the atmosphere feel a bit elevated in formality even on nights when no tux is required. That said, I personally feel the ambiance on Cunard is wonderful, especially in the evenings [whether formal or informal] as the sense of civility and old-world charm permeates throughout the ship.

I don't recall seeing many "uncomfortable and overdressed" people on our voyage though. I felt that most of the passengers chose Cunard, at least in part, BECAUSE of the dress code.

Your experience on board indicates that your experience was rather empty...as if you were treated as simply a Number. I'm sorry for that disappointment. Would you consider please trying again, please? Or can you recommend a better ocean liner for a trans-atlantics crossing? -S.

Edited by Salacia

Have just completed a return crossing from Southampton to New York and back. ... I did comply with the dress code but, a very big but, could not detect any difference in the so called ambiance on any of the six evenings. ... Lot of people looking uncomfortable and overdressed. It strikes me that it is a bit like the emperors clothes, nothing there at all!
Hi Number34,

I am sorry to read that your transatlantic crossings on QM2 were so disappointing with regard to the evening dress-codes.

I have to say that I've yet to see "lots of people looking uncomfortable and overdressed" on board, as you did. Maybe I've been luckier on my crossings and cruises with Cunard? Certainly I never feel "uncomfortable and overdressed" in the evening.

Maybe they merely looked this way to you, because of your own feelings towards wearing formal clothing?

For example, on a NCL thread that asked if anyone missed the abandoned formal evenings on NCL you said,

I don't, that's why I like NCL. My Next trip is on QM2 and I have to take an extra case with tuxedo etc as otherwise I cannot go to all bars and restaurants in the evening. A real pain in the ...

Is it possible you were thinking that your fellow passengers onboard QM2 shared your feelings?

Many choose Cunard, and a traditional transatlantic crossing on liner Queen Mary 2, partly because of the dress-codes. I know that includes me.

There are many cruise lines out there who do re-positioning crossings, and who have, as you've discovered, more relaxed dress-codes (or none at all). Those many cruise ships attract some passengers, just as Cunard attracts others.

It would be a very boring world if all passenger ships were like NCL or Carnival. That would give people no choice at all. They might as well build 200 identical white-hulled cruise ships with rock-climbing walls and flowriders, and be done with it (pretty much what NCL, RCL et al. are doing of course).

However, thankfully, not all passengers are identical... or want to have an identical cruise or crossing every time they board a ship. Some are looking for a cruise line that stands out from the crowd. One with proper libraries, intelligent guest speakers, a line that treats passengers as adults. And with traditional evening dress-codes.

Best wishes and many happy sailings for the future with whichever line you choose :)

Edited by pepperrn

... I don't recall seeing many "uncomfortable and overdressed" people on our voyage though. I felt that most of the passengers chose Cunard, at least in part, BECAUSE of the dress code.
Well said Bostonjetset, I agree with both your observations above, thank you :)

On the Cunard Site it states:

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.

Informal (Jacket Required):

Evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent. No jeans or shorts.

Regarding Informal the only stipulation regarding trousers is 'no jeans or shorts' so from that those wearing chinos are following the dress code.

I also notice it does not mention any type of required shirt, so again those choosing to wear a polo are not breaking any written Cunard dress code.

I understand that many would never want to wear a polo or chinos and that it their choice but as far as I can see chinos, polo and jacket are acceptable by Cunard rules.

Never saw pax who looked "uncomfortable" in their dress style. Perhaps you dislike the formality of Cunard. It's why pax choose this line. We like the formal style of "Oceanliner" travel. Perhaps you might prefer to choose a less formal line in your future.

Not too sure if I've understood one or two comments in your posting, "Britannia Club menu no different":confused:

Flambé desserts table side

Premium cheese board table side

additional always available menu ( a' la carte)

not to forget, intimate restaurant & flexible evening dining time.

Lots of guests looking uncomfortable ? maybe it was you who was a little out of your own comfort zone.

Never saw pax who looked "uncomfortable" in their dress style. Perhaps you dislike the formality of Cunard. It's why pax choose this line. We like the formal style of "Oceanliner" travel. Perhaps you might prefer to choose a less formal line in your future.

I don't think it's quite accurate to say "it's why pax choose this line". There are many reasons why people choose Cunard other than the formality. It may well be that to some it's the main reason, but to others it's just a little inconvenience nessesary to sail on the line of their choice.

David.

I don't think it's quite accurate to say "it's why pax choose this line". There are many reasons why people choose Cunard other than the formality. It may well be that to some it's the main reason, but to others it's just a little inconvenience nessesary to sail on the line of their choice.

David.

I'd second that, the alternative to flying and decent victuals is what counts.

Seeing other lines go downhill, we choose Cunard for several reasons, Dress, Food and Service, and all were excellent. Interesting thread on Celebrity at the moment, it would appear that khaki pants and a sweater are acceptable in the restaurant! Not the line for us any more.

When I posted my chino question, never expected it last this long,we are now back and busy planning the next cruise (and no chino's going!).

Seeing other lines go downhill, we choose Cunard for several reasons, Dress, Food and Service, and all were excellent. Interesting thread on Celebrity at the moment, it would appear that khaki pants and a sweater are acceptable in the restaurant! Not the line for us any more.

When I posted my chino question, never expected it last this long,we are now back and busy planning the next cruise (and no chino's going!).

Dress code threads tend to take on a life of their own as you can see !

Great information but your No 8, No corkage fee, is surely incorrect? To take wine to the restaurant there is indeed a hefty corkage fee :)

Oh, can you not take it into the restaurants? I didn't know that. Sorry. I normally enjoy my drink on the balcony :)

On our recent Southhampton to New York crossing, we noticed that while most people followed the dress code, there were a surprisingly substantial number who did not. Especially in the public rooms (non-dining areas). We found the ship to be very warm. My partner literally was sweating in the Britannia restaurant and removed his jacket during dinner several nights. Ditto for the theater. I do not know if this ruined the ambiance for other people or not, but surely dripping sweat isn't attractive either. Common sense has to prevail sometimes.

On the last night, and to a lesser extent the first night, the dress code went out the window. Casual clothing was the majority. We sweated it out in our informal attire, considered changing clothing but our bags were already packed for disembarkation.

I think the ladies have a distinct advantage. We can wear shoulder baring dresses and toss on a shawl, to easily adapt to the temperature variations.

We also appreciated how many people made an obvious effort to dress up for the Roaring 20's event. Very fun to see!