Documentation for boarding help!

xxjulzxx

We are cruising in 17 days and my boyfriend just realized his US passport is expired. He was born in China, but is a US citizen.

He has his original Certificate of Citizenship with the raised seal and his drivers license - will that be enough to get on board?

I called Carnival and they said it would be enough but ultimately it's up to Homeland Security and gave me their number. I call them and they said it's up to Carnival!? :confused:

Curious if anyone else has ever had this come up?

Thanks for any help!

Personally, I would never leave U.S. soil without a passport. Pay the extra dollars and you can have a passport expedited in less than a week. I know the passport is not mandatory as per CCL. If he got hurt or sick and had to go back to the U.S., he would have some serious problems.

If you could swing a four hour trip to Atlanta between now and when you leave, it might give you peace of mind for you guys to go and get a new passport for him. I think if I could make a quick, overnight trip, I'd be at the agency when they open one morning and have it in hand when I left.

Here is the link that I found for the agency in Atlanta. Hope this helps!

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/atlanta-passport-agency.html

Up until our last cruise DW used her Naturalization Certificate and drivers license without a problem at all. This presupposes that you are on a closed loop cruise, leaving and returning to the same US port. While there is time to get the passport before the cruise as others say it is going to be pricier than normal for expedite fees etc. If you decide to go the non-passport route I would recommend bringing the expired passport as it would make the process easier should you miss the ship or have to return for an emergency. Ultimately you have to decide if you are comfortable with the slight risk involved.

Born in China? Is the birth certificate in English and does he also have a US Citizen born Abroad form? They will be unable to assist if this is a BC from Foreign hospital, they can not interpret the laws or know you are a US Citizen based on your parents citizenship. If he was born in China he will need more than a Chinese Birth Certificate .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Born in China? Is the birth certificate in English and does he also have a US Citizen born Abroad form? They will be unable to assist if this is a BC from Foreign hospital, they can not interpret the laws or know you are a US Citizen based on your parents citizenship. If he was born in China he will need more than a Chinese Birth Certificate .

He would be using his Naturalization Certificate which he received when he became a US citizen (that' how I read the original post anyway).

He would be using his Naturalization Certificate which he received when he became a US citizen (that' how I read the original post anyway).

Yes, exactly.

Ok thanks! We are going to try to get the passport renewal expedited but wanted to make sure if it was not an option that he could still board with his other paperwork.

Yes, exactly.

Ok thanks! We are going to try to get the passport renewal expedited but wanted to make sure if it was not an option that he could still board with his other paperwork.

Glad to see you made a great decision!! As you well know you have to be careful of some of the posters on CC. When it comes to ICE, nothing is a "Slight Risk"

All the Best

Michael

Glad to see you made a great decision!! As you well know you have to be careful of some of the posters on CC. When it comes to ICE, nothing is a "Slight Risk"

All the Best

Michael

Millions of people travel every year on closed loop cruises with documentation other than a passport with no issues at all and all but the smallest number of them come back on the same ship they left on, so whether you like it or not yes, the risk of having to leave the ship for some reason for most people is slight. Everyone needs to make the decision of what documentation to bring based on their individual travel needs and if they do that then yes, it is a great decision.

Oh, and the agency involved in clearing passengers is not ICE, it's CBP.

Yes, exactly.

As an FYI - my DH expedited his passport last Wed and it was received yesterday (6 calendar day turn around). Should not be a problem.

Unacceptable identification allows the passenger to wave goodbye as the ship sails without him/her

Right? People think they can just "stay on the ship" and not get off in ports when it comes to documentation issues, but they fail to realize they will be turned away at the pier and not even be allowed to board in the first place. It is up to each passenger to have the proper documentation before getting on the ship.

Glad to see you made a great decision!! As you well know you have to be careful of some of the posters on CC.

Agreed. Many are passionate about things but that doesn't always make them "correct". :o

We are going to try to get the passport renewal expedited...

Excellent decision and of course, it's the best decision. Now he won't have to worry about it for 10 years and the whole world is opened up to the two of you! PLEASE come back to this same thread and let us know what happens. Enjoy your cruise.

Right? People think they can just "stay on the ship" and not get off in ports when it comes to documentation issues, but they fail to realize they will be turned away at the pier and not even be allowed to board in the first place. It is up to each passenger to have the proper documentation before getting on the ship.

Agreed. Many are passionate about things but that doesn't always make them "correct". :o

Excellent decision and of course, it's the best decision. Now he won't have to worry about it for 10 years and the whole world is opened up to the two of you! PLEASE come back to this same thread and let us know what happens. Enjoy your cruise.

I know you don't like my answers but the OP asked if BF's Naturalization Certificate and drivers license would be enough to get him on board and the correct and legal answer is yes, if he is on a closed loop cruise those two documents are sufficient to get him onboard this CCL cruise and if for some reason the passport renewal isn't processed in time he will still be able to go and enjoy his cruise with the OP. As I've said over and over again travel documentation is not a one size fits all proposition for everyone and travelers have choices when it comes to which documents to use. What is best for you may not be best for the next person.

The OP never even brought his birth certificate up so not sure why you are going on about it. Nor did she bring up his parents. For all you know they could have been born in the US and moved to China when he was born. For all you know, they could have been on vacation and out he popped. OP never said he was a citizen board abroad. Just they he was born in China and was now a US citizen.

I know many people, including my parents, myself, my brothers and tons and tons of people that are US Citizens born abroad. I have never heard about the Born Abroad form. What is it and why do we need it?

Many people become Naturalized Citizens every year. This is not a new procedure. You and 9,999 of your closest friends get together in a big room and swear to uphold the laws of the US. Then row by row you walk to a table and pick up your citizenship paperwork and leave. That's it. It states you are a now a citizen. No need to produce any other document to prove it - except maybe a passport which is needed for travel.

Edited by notentirelynormal

The OP never even brought his birth certificate up so not sure why you are going on about it. Nor did she bring up his parents. For all you know they could have been born in the US and moved to China when he was born. For all you know, they could have been on vacation and out he popped. OP never said he was a citizen board abroad. Just they he was born in China and was now a US citizen.

I know many people, including my parents, myself, my brothers and tons and tons of people that are US Citizens born abroad. I have never heard about the Born Abroad form. What is it and why do we need it?

Many people become Naturalized Citizens every year. This is not a new procedure. You and 9,999 of your closest friends get together in a big room and swear to uphold the laws of the US. Then row by row you walk to a table and pick up your citizenship paperwork and leave. That's it. It states you are a now a citizen. No need to produce any other document to prove it - except maybe a passport which is needed for travel.

A Consular Report of Birth abroad is issued to US citizens born in a foreign country that derive their citizenship from a US citizen parent or parent(s). It proves you are a US citizen and not a citizen of the country that you are born in.

Actually I originally read it that way. I was thinking "US Citizen born abroad" and had their Chinese BC. Obviously that was not what they wrote However, for your reading enjoyment here is the information that is needed when you have a US Citizen born overseas.

COPIED DIRECTLY FROM THE US State Dept. Gov website:

Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. If the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name.

According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school, among other purposes.

The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child. Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States. By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Actually I originally read it that way. I was thinking "US Citizen born abroad" and had their Chinese BC. Obviously that was not what they wrote However, for your reading enjoyment here is the information that is needed when you have a US Citizen born overseas.

COPIED DIRECTLY FROM THE US State Dept. Gov website:

Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. If the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name.

According to U.S. law, a CRBA is proof of U.S. citizenship and may be used to obtain a U.S. passport and register for school, among other purposes.

The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child. Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States. By law, U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

And an original CRBA may be used to establish citizenship for a closed loop cruise along with a government issued photo ID for those 16 and over.;)

And an original CRBA may be used to establish citizenship for a closed loop cruise along with a government issued photo ID for those 16 and over.;)

Yes exactly and if you read CC for very long many people "born" US citizens just bring their BC (from the hospital in Germany) because in their mind they know they are US Citizens and don't understand they need the CRBA to actually prove it!

(But this has nothing to do with the OP's case as I misread that first post)

Edited by JVilleGal