Grandeur Ship Enhancements

Thanks, Bob. I was hoping something might have been leaked. I guess we have to wait and see.

Only enhancement booked in that I know of, is the scrubbers for the funnels to provide cleaner air and less pollution. This will be required by future laws that take effect in 2020 but Royal Caribbean are doing all ships way before then. Anything else hasn't been announced yet, but some sister ships are in before her and will get the same treatment so keep an eye out for them.

• 3 weeks later...
A new cruise director would be great!

The Grandeur is getting a new cruise director in October after Paul Rutter leaves. Someone new to Royal Caribbean named Bobby. Don't know the last name. Just read this on the cruise director's thread.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Grandeur is getting a new cruise director in October after Paul Rutter leaves. Someone new to Royal Caribbean named Bobby. Don't know the last name. Just read this on the cruise director's thread.

Gwen [emoji3]

This is the official bio on the Zuiderdam's current CD, just in case some of you have yet to sail post-Dane...

"Bobby has been a part of the Entertainment Industry for over 26 years now. Most recently he was seen on the M/S Amsterdam as the lead male singer for Holland America Cruise Line. As far as cruise ships go, he has performed all over the world for Cunard, Norwegian, Disney, and Crystal Cruise Lines as the lead singer, as well as Company Manager, and singer/dancer. Bobby comes from Dallas, Texas, but calls Orlando, Florida home. For the past several years he has worked for Walt Disney World in Orlando, singing and dancing in the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue, at Fort Wilderness in the Magic Kingdom, and has also been a part of "The Voices of Liberty" at Epcot, Disney's top vocal group. Bobby holds a BA Degree from Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas, and got his start as a featured soloist with the Natchez, Mississippi Opera Company. From there he was one of the 3 back-up singers for Andy Williams in Branson, Missouri. A year later, he was hired by Jean Ann Ryan Productions, and spent several years working for Norwegian Cruise Line as the featured male singer. While he was in Dallas, he taught K-4 Music, and had the honor of singing with The Vocal Majority, an International Championship Men's Barbershop Chorus. Bobby has literally traveled all over the world singing and dancing, and is excited to call the M/S Zuiderdam home!"

A bit of info on Bobby Broughton. That was about 10 years ago, he seems to have been doing other things since then. I don't know if he's a fill in for Paul's vacation or a new permanent CD, and I don't know if it's a 2 or 4 month contract.

With regard to enhancements, it's possible there won't be anything major. All ships are required to undergo a drydock about every 2 1/2 years to inspect the hull; they usually do some other things then but not necessarily.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off and heard from crew that Grandeur is going to Charleston for drydock instead of Freeport because of damage from Matthew. Grandeur also got a little damage from Matthew on deck 10. Brian

Edited by bearnuts

This thread worried me a bit as we're just now starting to look at a May sailing and have learned from experience we don't like sailing the week before or after a drydock. Based on her sail dates, the dry dock is April 24 - May 12 (ish).
Why (asked the April 17th to April 24th Grandeur cruiser)???

Just got off and heard from crew that Grandeur is going to Charleston for drydock instead of Freeport because of damage from Matthew. Grandeur also got a little damage from Matthew on deck 10. Brian

Interesting, thanks for the update.

That is not what was said at the Captain's Corner on 11 Nov (I was there). Michael Landry (Hotel Director) and the Chief Engineer and Captain said that deck 10 will be repaired from it's damage done in March 2014 (we were onboard for that cruise also). Also, they said the ship is going to Freeport. No mention of damage from Matthew to deck 10 and I didn't see anything different than what was already there from 2014. They also said they don't know yet what will be done to the ship beyond the standard thruster, etc work and painting below the water line as well as repairing deck 10. A team came and inspected the ship and made recommendations back to HQ in Miami and they need to work with their budget and decide what will be done. After that, they will let the ship know in the next couple of weeks what work will be done as they start work as soon as they head out for drydock.

Edited by BND

Why (asked the April 17th to April 24th Grandeur cruiser)???

As the other response said, they start tearing stuff apart before the actual dry dock starts, and RARELY complete everything by the end of dry dock. It's not a big deal, you will just see crews around on the ship, and sometimes they get a bit in the way.

I just read recently that carpet and bed/bedding will be updated and also the possibility of adding a new restaurant. I really don't know where they'd put it. Also it was said, at the Top Tier Event, that the Grandeur will be leaving Baltimore sometime in 2018. They will replace the Grandeur with another ship, but don't know which one. Can't be any larger than the Vision class, because of the bridges it has to go under. I just hope it is not any smaller.

Gwen [emoji3]

I just read recently that carpet and bed/bedding will be updated and also the possibility of adding a new restaurant. I really don't know where they'd put it. Also it was said, at the Top Tier Event, that the Grandeur will be leaving Baltimore sometime in 2018. They will replace the Grandeur with another ship, but don't know which one. Can't be any larger than the Vision class, because of the bridges it has to go under. I just hope it is not any smaller.

Gwen [emoji3]

Oh, no! We are booked on the Grandeur in April 2018. I hope it doesn't leave until the fall. I don't want to go through the hassle of changing ships

and re-booking.