Taking food back to cabins

thano13

Actually I see how I worded the original post. My bad grammar. And yes I was thinking about food getting cold , especially if the cabin is far. Thanks for the tip. I do think I'm not too far from the buffet. I'm under the kids club area?

Yeah, you're close, but I wouldn't worry about the food getting cold as much as I would worry about people breathing on it in an elevator... or wafting my food through a group of mouth breathers when leaving the buffet. Use a cover!

I thought you could order a continental breakfast without charge in the morning?

I would watch out for the Food Police though! If your caught with food going to your

room they will send you to the Smoking Section to eat it! That area really stinks, so don't be caught! Have a good cruise!

I think money is part of the reason, but I also feel it is because to go orders can really mess up a restaurant's kitchen if they are busy, spillage from folks taking it back to their cabins and then those plates in the hallways with 1/2 eaten food on them.

I totally agree.

Spillage is messy and a safety issue -

We have a small bistro which has an adjacent garden - I've seen people decide to lift plates half way through dining and go outdoors. We TRY to tell them to wait we will take it all for them - but they go ahead - and sure enough - before we know it there's a pot of tea on the floor - or an oil spill - or some salad leaves - little things which can cause issues. For us, its all about the person carrying the goods - Spillage = danger =liability =lawsuit.

Buffets provide trays - and for one to take foods from the buffet is somewhat easier and safer.

To carry dishes and plates from a serviced restaurant - If everyone does it - before they know it there will be an accident.

And what gives one person the right to do so - and not another. You might be stable on your feet - but is the next person carrying a plate of Buffalo wings and dip?

I also imagine the problem lies in the flatware being returned to its kitchen location. Each restaurant will have crockery unique to them - it will all not go behind the scenes to the same dishwash station - kitchens lose track of crockery and silverware which has disappeared to cabins.

Personally I think the only things that's acceptable to be taken from a restaurant is perhaps a cheese plate if its been properly wrapped by the server or food which has been prepared in a proper "2go" box.

Corridors of food waste - = UGH!!!

Actually a friend told me continental breakfast is complimentary at room service. A limited menu and before a certain time? I'm in the Jewel.

Express Room Service Card from the Jewel last month. Items available on the complimentary menu vary by ship. But the idea is the same,,, you can get a complimentary continental breakfast delivered. If you want hot food delivered, there is a $7.95 charge per delivery (regardless how much you order).

But,,,, also consider that other than the bed or the floor, there is not a flat service big enough to put a room service tray down on the Jewel.

Jewel1.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

I totally agree.

Spillage is messy and a safety issue -

We have a small bistro which has an adjacent garden - I've seen people decide to lift plates half way through dining and go outdoors. We TRY to tell them to wait we will take it all for them - but they go ahead - and sure enough - before we know it there's a pot of tea on the floor - or an oil spill - or some salad leaves - little things which can cause issues. For us, its all about the person carrying the goods - Spillage = danger =liability =lawsuit.

Buffets provide trays - and for one to take foods from the buffet is somewhat easier and safer.

To carry dishes and plates from a serviced restaurant - If everyone does it - before they know it there will be an accident.

And what gives one person the right to do so - and not another. You might be stable on your feet - but is the next person carrying a plate of Buffalo wings and dip?

I also imagine the problem lies in the flatware being returned to its kitchen location. Each restaurant will have crockery unique to them - it will all not go behind the scenes to the same dishwash station - kitchens lose track of crockery and silverware which has disappeared to cabins.

Personally I think the only things that's acceptable to be taken from a restaurant is perhaps a cheese plate if its been properly wrapped by the server or food which has been prepared in a proper "2go" box.

Corridors of food waste - = UGH!!!

There are no trays in the buffets, but I can see why they don't want people walking up to restaurants to get food to go. On land, it's worth the hassle because restaurants make money on takeout. On the ships, it's just more food to produce. I'm guessing that if you eat at a table and ordered, you might be able to carry it out of the restaurant.

Yes- sometimes the buffet is so hectic it's great to sit on the balcony with food and a drink to escape the mayhem! Uninterrupted views and no problems finding a table. At night though I do like to go to the MDR. My next cruise is on the Sun in just under 6 weeks and they have a much more relaxed attitude! [emoji1]

Karoo have a great time on your cruise and please, please post a review, comments, pics, anything after. We are sailing on the Sun in January and I've turned into a "Sun" junkie.:D

The policy makes sense for a couple reasons:

1) They just aren't staffed nor have the room for a bunch of folks to walk up and request take-out.

2) The buffet has plastic plates, the restaurants have glass, if they allowed it some idiot would take it to the pool deck and then drop it and break it.

We have never done it on NCL, but on RCL we most always have lunch by the pool from the buffet. We have also taken a fruit plate back to the cabin from the MDR, our waiter gladly wrapped it for us. I don't recall if it was switched to a plastic plate or not.

I have only done two cruises and both were on Disney (and both were a few years ago), but I am looking at other cruise lines now that my daughter is older. Am I understanding you guys to say that Norwegian does not allow food outside the restaurants at all? I'm not concerned with taking food back to the room. I am wondering about taking food to other parts of the ship. The Disney ships have a grill and a pizza place right on the pool deck. People go get food and take it to their loungers or tables that are there on deck to eat. You can take the food anywhere you want. My family did this every day for lunch. We never ate lunch together. Each person just grabbed a burger, taco, sandwich, etc., when we got hungry and took it to what ever part of the ship we were headed to. I spent almost every day sitting around the family pool, watching the movies playing on the big screen and people watching. As I got hungry, I walked over and got food or ice cream or fresh fruit, filled my drink, and was back to my seat in 5 minutes to eat while I continued enjoying myself. I never did it, but there were so many people who actually went to the buffet and brought full plates back to the pool deck and sat at their loungers to eat. The trash cans on deck had a place on top similar to what you see at fastfood places on land to return trays, plates, etc. Would this be allowed on Norwegian? If not, does anyone know if it's still allowed on Disney or any of the other lines?

I have only done two cruises and both were on Disney (and both were a few years ago), but I am looking at other cruise lines now that my daughter is older. Am I understanding you guys to say that Norwegian does not allow food outside the restaurants at all? I'm not concerned with taking food back to the room. I am wondering about taking food to other parts of the ship. The Disney ships have a grill and a pizza place right on the pool deck. People go get food and take it to their loungers or tables that are there on deck to eat. You can take the food anywhere you want. My family did this every day for lunch. We never ate lunch together. Each person just grabbed a burger, taco, sandwich, etc., when we got hungry and took it to what ever part of the ship we were headed to. I spent almost every day sitting around the family pool, watching the movies playing on the big screen and people watching. As I got hungry, I walked over and got food or ice cream or fresh fruit, filled my drink, and was back to my seat in 5 minutes to eat while I continued enjoying myself. I never did it, but there were so many people who actually went to the buffet and brought full plates back to the pool deck and sat at their loungers to eat. The trash cans on deck had a place on top similar to what you see at fastfood places on land to return trays, plates, etc. Would this be allowed on Norwegian? If not, does anyone know if it's still allowed on Disney or any of the other lines?

You will have no problem doing the same on NCL. What you can't do is walk up to the hostess at a sit down restaurant and place an order to go.

There were fewer trays along our hallway during this year's one & only cruise with NCL on the BA, except that on 3 different nights, those plates, dishes & cups, etc. remained on the carpet floors all night long and were never picked up ... until after 8 AM when housekeeping begin their routine.

Well, might be fine to ban food to go with and fees for room service late night, but nobody clearing them as hazards, for real ... probably saving money for the cruise line.

One just simply doesn't get that same old "home away from home" feeling these days, IMO. Feel free to disagree.

sent via Nexus 5X with 7.0 Nougat via Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

There were fewer trays along our hallway during this year's one & only cruise with NCL on the BA, except that on 3 different nights, those plates, dishes & cups, etc. remained on the carpet floors all night long and were never picked up ... until after 8 AM when housekeeping begin their routine.

Well, might be fine to ban food to go with and fees for room service late night, but nobody clearing them as hazards, for real ... probably saving money for the cruise line.

One just simply doesn't get that same old "home away from home" feeling these days, IMO. Feel free to disagree.

sent via Nexus 5X with 7.0 Nougat via Tapatalk

People don't know that they should leave them in their cabin. If they did that, there would be no issue with stuff in the hallways

People don't know that they should leave them in their cabin. If they did that, there would be no issue with stuff in the hallways

Maybe they should let passengers know via a short note in the Freestyle Daily. I haven't really seen plates in the hall ways recently, but on my last cruise my neighbours left plates with leftovers out each night and some mornings, they would also put it close to my door, so I'd move it back closer to their door as I didn't want people to think I was the messy passenger!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by karoo

...my neighbours left plates with leftovers out each night and some mornings, they would also put it close to my door, so I'd move it back closer to their door as I didn't want people to think I was the messy passenger!

The proper course of action there is to make a big fuss tripping and falling and generally creating all manner of commotion.

Like this girl...

[YOUTUBE]FijU_4T7YuU[/YOUTUBE]

The proper course of action there is to make a big fuss tripping and falling and generally creating all manner of commotion.

Like this girl...

[YOUTUBE]FijU_4T7YuU[/YOUTUBE]

[emoji3][emoji1][emoji106][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ha! Ha! Although we did have quite a few scooters in the hallway too! So I was waiting for them to complain.

Edited by karoo

where does it state this? I have always heard that they want you to put it in the hallways. do you have where they state this since it sounds like you know their policy?

where does it state this? I have always heard that they want you to put it in the hallways. do you have where they state this since it sounds like you know their policy?

I have been told by deck supervisors on a couple of occasions that they prefer the trays/dishes remain in the staterooms and not on the hallway floors.

The safety issue should be obvious.

The new CEO? Del Rio stated that he didn't like plates left in the corridor as it made the ships look messy/untidy. That was his reason for trying to introduce the rule- earlier last year, 'no taking food back to cabins from any venue' This rule was overturned due to passenger dissatisfaction. However recently the 24hour fast food restaurants on some ships have brought the rule back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo