Dining pkgs -buy before or wait till on ship

sailnsee

On this note, is there any additional perk for doing Specialty Dining on Embarkation Day? I know 'elsewhere' they've offered a discount or BOGO for that.

Often. The most we got on Embarkation day was 40% discount. I've heard of others getting bogo. I guess it depends on supply and demand.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

I don't know what ship you are on - this may not apply to S class - but on M class be advised that the Sushi on Five restaurant is considered a specialty restaurant and as such, you must eat there as well as Qsine and Tuscan Grill. That alone was enough to steer me away. What we did was waited until we boarded and worked with one of the specialty maître d's to develop our own 'package' of three - twice at Qsine and once at Tuscan. I think we got 20% off, which was the best that was being offered on that particular cruise (it was on Millie).

I strongly object to Sushi being considered Specialty, but then I strongly object to them doing away with Bistro so I admit I am not objective about it.

Edited by phoenix_dream

Since the sushi is pretty much priced individually, how do they price it as part of a "specialty restaurant" package. Can I order as much as I want as I can do in Qsine?

As far as buying in advance....my advice is to only do that if you want to dine at a specific time or specific day. If you are flexible, wait until you get on board....maybe the third day when the restaurants are hurting for patrons and see what they offer. We have had 2 for 1 deals....and many 30-33% off offers. If we get a reasonable deal, we'll dine in one of the specialties...if not, we don't care. I don't think we've ever been on a cruise where we didn't get some irresistible deal...and maybe we ate earlier or later than normal, but the price was right. The specialty restaurants are all good (exception being silk harvest) so It's just a question of what the upgraded meal is worth.

Since the sushi is pretty much priced individually, how do they price it as part of a "specialty restaurant" package. Can I order as much as I want as I can do in Qsine?

As far as buying in advance....my advice is to only do that if you want to dine at a specific time or specific day. If you are flexible, wait until you get on board....maybe the third day when the restaurants are hurting for patrons and see what they offer. We have had 2 for 1 deals....and many 30-33% off offers. If we get a reasonable deal, we'll dine in one of the specialties...if not, we don't care. I don't think we've ever been on a cruise where we didn't get some irresistible deal...and maybe we ate earlier or later than normal, but the price was right. The specialty restaurants are all good (exception being silk harvest) so It's just a question of what the upgraded meal is worth.

No clue as to what they included Sushi as we were totally turned off by that being included and did not pursue it. I have also been on ships with 2/1 deals or as much as 30% off. But on our last two cruises, 20% was the max - you just never know. It varies a lot by how sales are going.

Edited by phoenix_dream

It has been reported that Sushi on 5 is limited at $30 pp as a part of a package. I don't eat any seafood so I'm not reporting from personal experience, but rather what others have said.

Noticed one other point to comment on - if you book a package, you can only reserve the first dinner. You have to wait until you are onboard to book the remaining meals. So not really much of an advantage in that respect. If you REALLY want to reserve a specific time, you need to book individually and not with a package.

• 2 weeks later...
Are they likely to offer any discount to a solo traveller who is flexible on which day they went ?

Not looking at a package, just one or two nights in the Tuscan Grill.

If there was a BOGO offer, could a solo buy that and go on two separate days to the Grill?

Just bringing this back to the top in case anyone might know.

Thanks

Noticed one other point to comment on - if you book a package, you can only reserve the first dinner. You have to wait until you are onboard to book the remaining meals. So not really much of an advantage in that respect. If you REALLY want to reserve a specific time, you need to book individually and not with a package.

From the Celebrity site...

"When booking your package, you will select a time for your dinner the first night in a specialty restaurant we've selected for you. Upon embarkation, you will be contacted by one of our Maitre D's to arrange the rest of your reservations. Or, you could simply go to one of our specialty restaurant reservation desks to reserve the rest."

We have the 3 night specialty dinners, and don't want any of the dinners to be seafood. If we contact Captains Club, perhaps they can delete this option from our package? Otherwise I'm cancelling and booking after boarding. Does anyone know if this is doable?

Edited by oceangoer2

"When booking your package, you will select a time for your dinner the first night in a specialty restaurant we've selected for you. Upon embarkation, you will be contacted by one of our Maitre D's to arrange the rest of your reservations. Or, you could simply go to one of our specialty restaurant reservation desks to reserve the rest."

We have the 4 night specialty dinners, and don't want any of the dinners to be seafood. If we contact Captains Club, perhaps they can delete this option from our package? Otherwise I'm cancelling and booking after boarding. Does anyone know if this is doable?

Just checked the site and found Sushi on 5 isn't mentioned in their advertising for Reflection:

"This specialty dining package includes one dinner Murano, one dinner in Tuscan Grille, one dinner in Qsine and one dinner in Lawn Club Grill."

Edited by oceangoer2

We have the 3 night specialty dinners, and don't want any of the dinners to be seafood. If we contact Captains Club, perhaps they can delete this option from our package? Otherwise I'm cancelling and booking after boarding. Does anyone know if this is doable?

No, they will not make adjustments. I am not sure of the status of Sushi on Five on all the ships but eventually they are converting them all is my understanding. I would not rely too heavily on their website being current but perhaps other Cruisers could give you the most current information

Just bringing this back to the top in case anyone might know.

Thanks

Generally speaking the buy-one-get-one will only be offered the first night although I guess it is possible that it could be offered other nights just not likely. I would never pay full price as they almost always offer some kind of a discount on some of the nights. I don't know specifically if any differences for single Cruisers so I can't speak to that