Goodbye "Modern Luxury"

chamima

We toured the Royal Palace while we were in Stockholm on a Baltic cruise this year. There was one large restroom which both sexes used. I did not hear anyone question it or comment on it, they just did what they had to do and left. It was a non-issue there so why can't it be the same here?

First, I have to say I really liked this commercial, I thought it gave a beautiful representation of what travel should be. It made me want to book another Celebrity cruise!:D

Secondly, I have not read the entire thread, but how did this evolve into a debate about toilets?:D

Sherri:)

First, I have to say I really liked this commercial, I thought it gave a beautiful representation of what travel should be. It made me want to book another Celebrity cruise!:D

Secondly, I have not read the entire thread, but how did this evolve into a debate about toilets?:D

Sherri:)

I am the OP.

My original post was to bemoan the loss of even the attempt at Luxury. (Not to comment on the commercial at all - just Lisa Lutoff-Perlo's explanation of the direction she is taking Celebrity .) :(

Most threads take on a life of their own. It's kind of funny to watch. :p

I can't imagine Celebrity would give up their position as the 'more premium' mass market line. At the same time, if they held the status quo and made no effort to change things and shake things up occasionally, they would be sitting on an aging customer base that likely doesn't have that many more cruising years ahead of them.

I'm sure there is a significant group that feels a bit slighted by a company they feel they have been so loyal to over the years, but reality is they cannot survive on maintaining their legacy customer base.

I thought the new ad conveyed an important message. Traveling is an amazing opportunity in life. Get out there and try it.

I am the OP.

My original post was to bemoan the loss of even the attempt at Luxury. (Not to comment on the commercial at all - just Lisa Lutoff-Perlo's explanation of the direction she is taking Celebrity .) :(

Most threads take on a life of their own. It's kind of funny to watch. :p

Kind of scary too how they can evolve from your original post into toilets!

What I can't understand is why they don't try to 'sell' Celebrity cruises as the brand that focuses on 'rest and relaxation..... '.

When anyone new comes on this board asking how X compares to other cruise lines, none of us focus on the now redundant 'luxury' or the fact that they cruise to lots of places and offer opportunities to experience new cultures we all say how relaxing it is, how you can always find a quiet spot, how much we enjoy activities being there but not thrust upon you....

With RC being the 'activities' brand why not just market X as what it is a good mid priced cruise line that offers opportunities to relax and unwind...

I buy the new one but I make sure I let it be known why I did.

That's your democratic right - or am I not allowed to say that in case it's misconstrued :rolleyes: :D?

Chemmo,

Splendid idea, but what would X then do with the marketing budget :eek:? Suggestions please on a postcard (perhaps it's better keeping to the handwritten method as the IT section possibly wouldn't be able to handle all the ideas - now there's a perfect place where the diverted money could be spent. On the other hand, some may prefer to use it on the toilet transformation instead) :D.

Sorry, just trying to keep humour and 'having a good time' vacationing at the forefront of our minds ;). Bet you're glad you're not sailing with me on your next cruise :D? I do agree with your 'unwinding' suggestion; think it's an excellent idea.

"Sailing Beyond Borders" promises nothing, so if you think the food or service is not up to snuff, too bad, Celebrity promised nothing. Modern Luxury at least intimated there was something special to be found on board, no matter how undefined that something might be.

As far as unisex bathrooms are concerned, five bathrooms in our house and not one of them is open to a stranger, especially strangers who stand on toilets and peek over walls, as already has occurred in several Targets in Texas. BTW how many cubicle doors meet the surrounding walls perfectly, leaving no open space between? And finally, for those who proclaim gender neutral bathrooms work in their homes: yes, but one toilet, one sink, and friends and family, right?

Edited by BosoxI

I am the OP.

My original post was to bemoan the loss of even the attempt at Luxury.

We are on the Solstice right now, about to sail out of Papeete, Tahiti. Contrary to some comments, the food has been pretty good across the board, and this is the best staff of all our dozen or so X cruises in the past 6 years. They are friendly and engaging, the officers are out and about and interacting with passengers. It sure doesn't feel like a cruise line that is declining (and the Miami Djs have been long gone, since at least our Silhouette cruise in March).

We just got off the Solstice in Honolulu. We did not experience any loss of luxury. Yes, marble floors, granite counter tops, individual cloth towels in the bathrooms, snappy service, spic and span clean, great food to please almost any palette, ship's officers out and about and more than ready to converse about anything. True luxury as it has always been when cruising with Celebrity.

Redjetz, say hello to my pal Iwahan, the men's attendant in the bathroom at Ensemble Lounge. He hands you a cloth towel when finished washing hands and then opens the door for you - now that is luxury! Tell him I said to get to work in his office (it's an inside joke). Also a big Hello and thank yous to Maria and Alexandra in Al Bacio! My wife asked for some cherry croissants with her tea and Maria said that were out for the morning. Three minutes later, Maria comes back with a big smile on her face and a plate with four cherry croissants on it. We were dumbfounded and asked where did she find those? She said, "don't ask because I never brought them to you" (wink, wink).

Now that I am back at home, it is take the trash, make the bed, walk the dog, sweep the floor, and clean my own toilet. Already I am yearning for more of that Celebrity luxury!

Really liked the ad. Clever, beautiful with a bit of controversy...hence it got attention and thus this discussion...mission accomplished.

And I do think most cruises I've been on are luxurious. I've had butler's and the largest cabin (@ the time... it was 6,000 SF w balcony) and smallest (inside 147 SF). Regardless, the ships themselves are typically pretty luxurious with marble floors, linened tables, onyx counters on the bar, gorgeous leathers...random musicians throughout. that is luxurious to me. Happy cruising and let's keep it all in perspective.

Nice job Celebrity.

Just curious, what cabin at sea was 6000 SF even with the Balcony? Even the largest Haven suites with 3 bedrooms I thought were only 3000sf?

Kind of scary too how they can evolve from your original post into toilets!

What I can't understand is why they don't try to 'sell' Celebrity cruises as the brand that focuses on 'rest and relaxation..... '.

SNIP..

Because the demographic they are reaching out too is not looking to relax but for exploration and adventure in a refined way, not necessarily with "activities". There is a big difference between the activities and family atmosphere of Royal Caribbean and what Celebrity is marketing and think Millennials would like.

Regardless, these are marking slogans, nothing more, nothing less. Sure, they _should_ match what the theme of the brand is doing, but in reality they have ONE goal and that is to boost profits (through sales, brand awareness, marketing, etc).

Finally, I think LP is doing a FINE job. I see two primary complaints on the Celebrity Boards.

1. Price

2. Service is not what it once was

How do you expect, with rising costs (and fuel is still up from 20 years ago) for prices to be the same? If you look at the cost to cruise, it general it is STILL relatively flat over the same 20 years compared to inflation. Prices can't remain relatively flat overall while offering the same service.

30 years or so ago, a coach seat on an airplane was much like what we call "First" here in the U.S. domestically. Prices are about the same, but what is offered is much less, while you pay for all the extras. To get what you did back then, you now need to pay more (probably about the same when inflation is accounted) to get a "First Class" seat for what service was then. True First and business class now are FAR better than they were then, just as the luxury lines are in reality, FAR better than they were then. Bigger (much bigger) cabin, Balconies where once an outside was considered luxury, more choice and ability to still cruise and spend less.

Good job LP, thanks for the choices and leaving it up to me how to enjoy my vacation on Celebrity!

Happy sailing and safe journeys,

Jenna

P.s. I am not sure why so many are affraid of gender neutral restrooms. These have been around for thousands of years, in homes, and abroad since the Romans. Illegal behavior, is illegal anywhere.

Edited by need2bespoiled

I have to say, in this age of austerity and economic woes a phrase like "modern luxury" is so passé and I'm glad to see the end of it. I don't want my friends to think I'm enjoying luxury, they should believe that I'm a redistributing a slice of my (meager) wealth and the kids' inheritance across the high seas to peoples who have to suffer the curse of living somewhere sunny with great views. How about something like,

"
Not nearly as good as you fondly remember it, but it's still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick".

or,

"Our tours might be expensive, but a small proportion of the money goes to help the locals pay off their loans to the IMF and the World Bank."

I can't believe that marketing agencies charge millions for this sort of stuff. I'm giving it away for free. :rolleyes:

As a "Suite" guest, I just want to respond to the few people who said that the luxury had been taken out of Celebrity "except for the suites".

Over the last few years the perks in booking a suite have dwindled, so that someone booking, say, a Royal Suite received 3 complimentary specialty restaurant dinners, classic beverage package, etc. Which is great until you realize that, through the old Go Big Better Best promotion and/or the dining packages the same perk was available for a nominal price, less if you booked onboard. So the "value added" is watered down.

Michael's Club is still a perk, but now that we get the Beverage Package included MC is redundant and, where 2 years ago there MC was not very crowded so 1 waitress/bartender was sufficient, now it's not enough. So that "perk" is useless. Luminae is great, but I'm waiting for the day X treats it like just another specialty restaurant and opens it to the entire ship.

So while the suites may not have been affected in the same way, there has been a reduction in benefits of booking a more expensive cabin. Celebrity is taking a new direction. So are we....

As a "Suite" guest, I just want to respond to the few people who said that the luxury had been taken out of Celebrity "except for the suites".

Over the last few years the perks in booking a suite have dwindled, so that someone booking, say, a Royal Suite received 3 complimentary specialty restaurant dinners, classic beverage package, etc. Which is great until you realize that, through the old Go Big Better Best promotion and/or the dining packages the same perk was available for a nominal price, less if you booked onboard. So the "value added" is watered down.

Michael's Club is still a perk, but now that we get the Beverage Package included MC is redundant and, where 2 years ago there MC was not very crowded so 1 waitress/bartender was sufficient, now it's not enough. So that "perk" is useless. Luminae is great, but I'm waiting for the day X treats it like just another specialty restaurant and opens it to the entire ship.

So while the suites may not have been affected in the same way, there has been a reduction in benefits of booking a more expensive cabin. Celebrity is taking a new direction. So are we....

I don't get this. Instead of 2-3 specuialty dinners in your RS, you now get unlimited specialty dining.

Instead of a classic beverage package (on some sailings) plus two free bottles of alcohol, or michael's club's free drinks, you now get a premium beverage package, daily restocked mini bar, michael's club and, and and

There have been absolutely NO reports of over-crowding in Michael's Club, have you actually experienced that?

You're only speculating about these things, and Luminae opening to the rest of the ship. If you look at history, they haven't opened Blu to the entire ship, in fact, when it opened it was open to others on the ship and the other direction was in fact what happened.

I agree with others that Suite Class has been enhanced not detracted so I don't get your gripes.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I don't get this. Instead of 2-3 specuialty dinners in your RS, you now get unlimited specialty dining.

You're only speculating about these things, and Luminae opening to the rest of the ship. If you look at history, they haven't opened Blu to the entire ship, in fact, when it opened it was open to others on the ship and the other direction was in fact what happened.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

There is a report that Summit will be opening up both Blu and Luminae to all passengers on an upcoming charter cruise, so it will be happening. And I'm guessing that if this concept works on a charter, can opening up those two venues on every cruise be far behind?

I'd like to know what suite on what ship was 6000 sq ft? The largest suite now is the Grand Duplex suite on the QM2, and that's 2249 sqft. Can't imagine the balcony is 3800 sq.ft.

There is a report that Summit will be opening up both Blu and Luminae to all passengers on an upcoming charter cruise, so it will be happening. And I'm guessing that if this concept works on a charter, can opening up those two venues on every cruise be far behind?

I'd like to know what suite on what ship was 6000 sq ft? The largest suite now is the Grand Duplex suite on the QM2, and that's 2249 sqft. Can't imagine the balcony is 3800 sq.ft.

Charters are a completey different ballgame and this has been going on for quite a while, as reported by Cle Guy on a number of chartered cruises. I don't think it means anything and anything else is pure speculation.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Charters are a completey different ballgame and this has been going on for quite a while, as reported by Cle Guy on a number of chartered cruises. I don't think it means anything and anything else is pure speculation.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Darcie -- I have to agree with Jenna, on this one. We've just booked our very first charter cruise on Summit (2018 Smooth Jazz Cruise), and I was very surprised to find that "Select" dining was not an option. One jazz-cruise veteran explained to me that everything on the SJC's -- including dinner -- revolves around the two evening shows. We have not yet received any info from the charter company on what specialty dining options will be available -- or whether AquaClass and Suites will have their own restaurants. One thing is for sure: even though we've sailed on Summit before, this is going to be a totally different cruising experience! :cool:

Instead of a classic beverage package (on some sailings) plus two free bottles of alcohol, or michael's club's free drinks, you now get a premium beverage package, daily restocked mini bar, michael's club and, and and

There have been absolutely NO reports of over-crowding in Michael's Club, have you actually experienced that?

I agree with others that Suite Class has been enhanced not detracted so I don't get your gripes.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We were cruising in suites on Celebrity well before the new perks were introduced. We would purchase a wine package, 5 night speciality dining package, bar set up and frequently bemoan the lack of a suite conceirge lounge and a conceirge looking after you which we had enjoyed on RC.

Totally agree Jenna, the suite life has never looked better!

gossip, gossip, I dare say gossip at it finest around here.

Without ever citing the founding or original source of the information!

bon voyage