Goodbye "Modern Luxury"

chamima

I'll take any day on a cruise over a day at home going to work. :)

I've enjoyed the days I've spent on the Celebrity ships. I have quite a few more days booked. I absolutely did not enjoy the one Carnival cruise I took and neither did my children. It will take quite a lot for Celebrity to sink to that low. I'll keep checking others, but for now, the price point with Celebrity is decent, and I'm comfortable with what I'm getting.

Interesting comments .In our experiences with over 40 Celebrity cruises for many years ,we have witnessed vast changes for X to be more liking their parent RCCL .

You keep returning, so therefore must still like the product even with those changes?

All above was the OP's intent...cruising is cruising on Celebrity, whether it is without boarders or modern luxury. My DH and I don't care about the slogan; we only care about the product! There are many ships on the seas, but we still enjoy Celebrity...love the fact that we are fortunate to sail in a suite once in a while and other cabins too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

It appears to me that Celebrity was successful in their new advertisement. They have driven a conversation. Does in make you more likely or less likely to book? Probably not. For most of on this board we either like the product or don't and make our choices accordingly.

What does this mean, please???

Anyone could cruise in any category and be treated like a Celebrity. No longer the same focus....many no frills economies in other than suites.

Having been with X for many years, on many diff ships and cruises, it is quite evident.

We will stick it out because we like the ships but it is a not as nice as it used to be and find the CEO repugnant!

With Ms. P making so making changes, and with what I see as a political slant to her new AD, along with what looks like a new direction for Celebrity, what would you as a customer think if she really took a radical step, and changed the restrooms to gender neutral. I know, I know, that's really far out, but in todays world I am not surprised at anything anymore.

Don't think it would last long. I have seen too many guys not even washing their hands. I use now use paper towel to open door when I leave. Have to admit too that I try to NOT touch my eyes, nose, mouth without just having washed them.

If that is not bad enough, just think about a seat lid being left up! :eek: Guys would be banned!

Edited by shipshape sam

Love the ad! Love the message. I don't think it has anything to do with getting rid of luxury (not that I ever thought Celebrity was a "luxury" line, anyway). It's simply marketing to get people excited about traveling and experiencing other cultures in a world where some are fearful of differences. I think it's very timely.

We are in the UK , but my husband us currently on business in NYC and was watching the ads on TV last night , said they were great , different but good , and remember X paid huge bucks to gave those ads aired throughout the debate last night , and I am sure they got a lot of business from it too . Ok the portrayal of people on sandbars hear Tower Bridge is quite amusing , I see what they are trying to do , ( it'd be a slimy mud bar in real life !!) , and I say , well done it's got people talking , and that's what they were aiming for

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It appears to me that Celebrity was successful in their new advertisement. They have driven a conversation. Does in make you more likely or less likely to book? Probably not. For most of on this board we either like the product or don't and make our choices accordingly.

Marco Polo drove a conversation but I don't recall a single positive comment on that one.

With Ms. P making so making changes, and with what I see as a political slant to her new AD, along with what looks like a new direction for Celebrity, what would you as a customer think if she really took a radical step, and changed the restrooms to gender neutral. I know, I know, that's really far out, but in todays world I am not surprised at anything anymore.

That's a great idea. Why don't you suggest that to her. And while you're at it, suggest she add a Q head. I suppose for those who don't know what they are?

Since my spousal unit and I each have our own bathrooms, I think I'll put a W on her door and an M on my door. :p

Until recently, Modern Luxury was the distinctive mark of Celebrity at fair prices in every category.. .a very special cruise exerperience!

Quite obviously that is no longer the vision or the reality. (except perhaps in suites).

It is clearly now mass production for the masses...Miami DJ, more alcohol packages, lower grade food, downgraded servce, different cruise demographic.....and probably belly flop and hairy legs contest not too far in the future..Three hots and a cot!

..We all know what we're getting...some of us will stick with for awhile longer...in hopes it may change back for the better . If not, many attractive offers on Azamara, Oceana etc..

CEO LLP ..very disappointing direction!

Well said

And doesn't that just sum it all up - one person's needs and expectations is totally different to the next.

How we've got from the CEO attempting to broaden horizons to gender neutral toilets is beyond me :confused: (I'm sure there must be a link somewhere :p). Just in the same way as some think the ad is wonderful, others do not - it's how one interprets the meaning. In reality it's all just marketing spin.

The CEO still stated X was a 'luxury cruise line', but basically added that she wants people to travel, rather than staying at home. Well there's a shock (not), she's in the travel industry. So if one doesn't like the product - it's not living up to your 'modern luxury' definition - then take your money elsewhere. Is it not the same for any product you purchase? A brand changes the ingredients in an item, you give the new product a try but decide it's not to your liking. Do you still buy the new item, even though you don't like it? Or do you start buying another brand?

Same for shareholders, if you are appalled by the (alleged) link to politics, then sell your shares and invest the money somewhere else; after all, it's your money to do as you so wish ;).

ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. I agree with you...spot on.

And doesn't that just sum it all up - one person's needs and expectations is totally different to the next.

How we've got from the CEO attempting to broaden horizons to gender neutral toilets is beyond me :confused: (I'm sure there must be a link somewhere :p). Just in the same way as some think the ad is wonderful, others do not - it's how one interprets the meaning. In reality it's all just marketing spin.

The CEO still stated X was a 'luxury cruise line', but basically added that she wants people to travel, rather than staying at home. Well there's a shock (not), she's in the travel industry. So if one doesn't like the product - it's not living up to your 'modern luxury' definition - then take your money elsewhere. Is it not the same for any product you purchase? A brand changes the ingredients in an item, you give the new product a try but decide it's not to your liking. Do you still buy the new item, even though you don't like it? Or do you start buying another brand?

I buy the new one but I make sure I let it be known why I did.

Interesting, gender neutral restrooms have worked in most homes for many years, why not in public too?

It's not exactly a radical idea

Oops, just noticed someone else posted the same thing. Great minds think alike apparently... at lease open ones do.

BTW, loved the ad & its message

Edited by cruise kitty

You can read all you like into the ads, and into LLP statement, or take them at face value for what the agency wrote.

Celebrity is a smart brand that continues to grow. What I take from it is seeing the ad is that the world is a beautiful thing, and so is cruising on a Celebrity vessel, and you don't have to give up one, to get the other.

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the new ad Celebrity aired last night during the debate.

Leaving world views and politics aside - what seems to have gone unnoticed was the statement Lisa Lutoff-Perlo made in advance of the ad.

"We're heading in a purpose-driven direction with 'Sailing Beyond Borders,' " she (Lisa Lutoff-Perlo ) said in a phone interview with Cruise Critic. "We're still a modern luxury cruise line, but it's less about 'Modern Luxury Lives Here'." Will McGinness, partner and executive creative director for Venables Bell & Partners, who worked on the ad, calls it "a new direction for the Celebrity brand."

As each little amenity (for those not in suites) has been eliminated, a lot of us have said it wasn't the "Modern Luxury" we expected.

Well now the CEO has let us know we're right. Modern Luxury is NOT their direction! :(

The first really good ad I've seen from X in a while. "Modern Luxury" and "you're the star" were kind of silly. Or maybe they were just over my head?

Seeing the London Eye makes me want to return.:) What a relaxing wonderful ride.

Interesting, gender neutral restrooms have worked in most homes for many years, why not in public too?

It's not exactly a radical idea

Oops, just noticed someone else posted the same thing. Great minds think alike apparently... at lease open ones do.

BTW, loved the ad & its message

Separate bathrooms have worked in public for many years, why change it?

Let's not pay to much attention to any of this...they are just marketing catch phrases and do not really mean anything....

'Sailing Beyond Borders' is OK , why not . It doesn't actually say or mean anything but it is perfectly adequate

sort of like Celebrity has become . I guess Modern Luxury no longer fit as OP posted, "for those not in suites" .

I am not surprised by what people post anymore!

Really liked the ad. Clever, beautiful with a bit of controversy...hence it got attention and thus this discussion...mission accomplished.

And I do think most cruises I've been on are luxurious. I've had butler's and the largest cabin (@ the time... it was 6,000 SF w balcony) and smallest (inside 147 SF). Regardless, the ships themselves are typically pretty luxurious with marble floors, linened tables, onyx counters on the bar, gorgeous leathers...random musicians throughout. that is luxurious to me. Happy cruising and let's keep it all in perspective.

Nice job Celebrity.

This ad made me smile and made me want to get on a cruise! We are all sharing this world together, our oceans connect us and there is so much beauty in this world! Modern Luxury was useless because everyone's definition of luxury is different. Traveling the world though......Now thats something I never tire of....Many borders left to cross!

Safe Sails to all.

I like the concept of the ad, especially in a world where some people (not likely those of us on Cruise Critic) are timid or afraid about venturing out into the world.

We are on the Solstice right now, about to sail out of Papeete, Tahiti. Contrary to some comments, the food has been pretty good across the board, and this is the best staff of all our dozen or so X cruises in the past 6 years. They are friendly and engaging, the officers are out and about and interacting with passengers. It sure doesn't feel like a cruise line that is declining (and the Miami Djs have been long gone, since at least our Silhouette cruise in March).

Things are changing, of course, as they do, but the sky is not falling. My $.02 worth. I do understand that not everyone likes the changes (I don't like all the changes myself), but without change things stagnate, decline, and fail.

Edited by redjetz

Separate bathrooms have worked in public for many years, why change it?

So did lots of other things. Not all of them were good.

I have no opinion on gender-neutral bathrooms, but "that's the way it's always been done" isn't really the best defense.