What do you think Celebrity's "New Direction" might be?

bookitdanno

I know it is all conjecture at this point, but I had some thoughts on the ad and the interview LLP had with Cruise Critic, Particularly this:

"During the interview, Lutoff-Perlo noted concern that people were becoming hesitant to travel, and instead, putting up cultural barriers.

"As far as I know [in the company's history] we've never made an ad like this. But what it means to me is that we have a purpose beyond what we do for a living, which is taking people on a cruise," she said. "People care more about brands that have a purpose than brands that just do something. Celebrity Cruises wants to stop talking the same way as all the other cruise lines -- about how many perks we offer when you book a cruise -- and instead, believe in getting to the heart, soul and purpose of doing what we do, which is to enrich lives with amazing places to visit around the world. We need more people to want to do that. We believe what's happening -- based on conversations -- is that they are doing less of it."

Staying with the same old, same old cruising structure that most lines have, that being "Fly somewhere, cruise, fly back" would not change most folks cruising habits, IMHO.

I would love to see Australia, the orient, etc, but not with 12 hours jet lag each way.

I am hoping (speculating) that this new marketing, coming shortly before the announcements and construction of the Edge Class ships, will be the perfect confluence for Celebrity to begin to truly compete with Cunard and Holland America for "Voyage" cruising.

The new ships will have a larger percentage of suites, and presumably more amenities, making them perfect for such a purpose.

What think you?

Celebrity World Voyages?????

Just a thought......

I am elite plus and enjoy sailing on Celebrity. However, it seems that regardless of where I sail, the cruise experience on the ship remains the same. Same shows, same menus, same trivia, same music, etc. It's like Celebrity ships have created their own country. It needs some connection to the region that the cruise visits. For example, I did 2 cruises this summer (not on X) that took advantage of local experiences. In Norway, I ate local salmon that was prepared many ways. Some people went with the chef to the market to shop for local foods. Every port had some menu items that were local. In Germany, local sausages, pretzels, and wine were great. Also, local talent is also a treat. I got to enjoy a local choirs, traditional dancing, and local cooking techniques in several ports. It's time for celebrity to branch out and include local experiences on the ship. It would make cruising a more enriching experience.

I am elite plus and enjoy sailing on Celebrity. However, it seems that regardless of where I sail, the cruise experience on the ship remains the same. Same shows, same menus, same trivia, same music, etc. It's like Celebrity ships have created their own country. It needs some connection to the region that the cruise visits. For example, I did 2 cruises this summer (not on X) that took advantage of local experiences. In Norway, I ate local salmon that was prepared many ways. Some people went with the chef to the market to shop for local foods. Every port had some menu items that were local. In Germany, local sausages, pretzels, and wine were great. Also, local talent is also a treat. I got to enjoy a local choirs, traditional dancing, and local cooking techniques in several ports. It's time for celebrity to branch out and include local experiences on the ship. It would make cruising a more enriching experience.

No doubt you were on a river cruise for those particular experiences. Hard to do with the 'big ships'. An idea could be to add local entertainment booked through the countries being visited; on and off the ship same night at each port. That would provide a local experience. Can't see how the dining/market shopping would work though.

Brilliant!

A ship is usually in the same home port traveling to the same places for months (or sometimes years) at a time. Why not use more local talent on board for entertainment? Or add local specialty dishes to the menu as each port is reached?

No doubt you were on a river cruise for those particular experiences. Hard to do with the 'big ships'. An idea could be to add local entertainment booked through the countries being visited; on and off the ship same night at each port. That would provide a local experience. Can't see how the dining/market shopping would work though.

We had the same experience when we cruised with Holland America in the Mediterranean, after each port that evenings dinner featured a local traditional dish.

With planning X should be able to include this idea

Sent from my iPad using Forums

An idea could be to add local entertainment booked through the countries being visited; on and off the ship same night at each port. That would provide a local experience. Can't see how the dining/market shopping would work though.

Brilliant!

Why not use more local talent on board for entertainment? Or add local specialty dishes to the menu as each port is reached?

This could be done with more late-night departures. A local meal, followed by local entertainment. I see that X is already adding more overnights.

Cheers!

On my Med cruise last year, we had Greek food in the buffet the night we left Athens. The officers loved it!

I agree with others that, although I like sailing on Celebrity, it's getting to be same old, same old, particularly in the Caribbean. If they would run a cruise to Hawaii and then to Australia, I'd be all over it. But they have to bring me back too. The flight is what's keeping me from going there.

Somehow, I don't think that's the type of cruiser Celebrity is going after.

The shift in marketing is likely just to move away from a constant "on sale" message to avoid falling into the trap of looking like a discounter. Even though they will still continue with the deals they want to get people's attention with the experience, the ships and the destinations. This means they have a goal of not letting the cruiseline slip too downmarket as many people here have feared. I know many still think the cruiseline has lost its luster but when you compare it to cruiselines like NCL and Carnival it is still much classier.

Going back to the OP's question: LLP seems to be all over the board. Two months ago (or less) the focus was on families and the year round home of the Equinox in the Caribbean (billed as Summer Camp). Now this new focus without the focus on the onboard perks and more on the destination. It's admirable and certainly sounds good. The question that needs to be asked is about the execution: How will X make this happen and will it be fleet wide? It's one thing to take a single ship (like Carnival has done with Fathom) and make the focus the destination and "purpose" travel or a river cruise that is much more destination focused. How do you do this with larger ships on more "commercial" itineraries?

There are no river cruises in Norway! But small-ship ocean cruise lines [like Azamara – Celebrity's upscale sibling] do this. Not sure how Celebrity could do it, because our Azamara cruise with fewer than 700 passengers bought all the raspberries that were available at a Norwegian fjord farm, and based on how they offered the Fjord salmon I doubt there was nearly enough for even an M-class ship. But Celebrity needs to break out of the 14 menus determined by 'Miami' and enforced wherever in the world any X ship happens to be sailing. They could also add to the Miami-produced production shows in the main theater, local folkloric talent in a smaller venue [as we had in Stavanger on Azamara Quest]. Celebrity has done a great job of adding more luxurious options on their ships [blu and Luminae] -- now they need to up the ante on port-immersion. They are already trying to do this [they have started shore excursions with the chef to buy provisions and then create a special dinner for the tour group], so I hope they will double down and hit the jackpot!

I like the idea of buying food locally and then participating in making a meal and enjoying it in a small group setting. Have seen excursions of cooking classes off ship too.

I like idea of Celebrity trying new things for sure. Still, purpose will take a back seat, IMHO, if it gets in the way of profits. I am not on their ship to have a purpose other than have a great vacation.

....I agree with others that, although I like sailing on Celebrity, it's getting to be same old, same old, particularly in the Caribbean. If they would run a cruise to Hawaii and then to Australia, I'd be all over it. But they have to bring me back too. The flight is what's keeping me from going there.

You posted exactly what I was about to say, except that I would like them to include New Zealand in that itinerary as well.

Undoubtedly we are not the only ones who hate those long flights and would like to see Celebrity offer such cruises.

Somehow, I don't think that's the type of cruiser Celebrity is going after.
LOL! But whether or not they want us, and despite trying to drive us away, we are still the type of cruisers they get. :eek: ;)

Maybe an incentive for them to keep us happy is that on some cruises we bring our adult children (or other younger family members) along with us and introduce them to Celebrity cruising. :D

Edited by varoo