Captain's Table invitations

Spartan Tartan

Thank you for coming to S7S's defense. I've been doing it frequently lately while she has been unable to type to some poster's satisfaction. Glad to see someone else doing it! S7S has quite a background and has lots of VERY useful information and anecdotes to pass on to all of us. It does not take much to understand what she is typing.

Slidergirl, THANKyou once again for your kineness. iI is very apprecited.

Sail7Seas -- let me add my good wishes for a speedy recovery to the others that have been expressed here. I noticed your absence from the boards, earlier this year, and was relieved to see that you had returned. As for your typing difficulties, just do what I do: blame 'auto-correct' for everything!;)

And, not to get too far off-topic, you expressed doubt that you would be invited to the Captain's table, as a solo cruiser. I have several female friends who cruise solo on Celebrity, and are regularly invited to dine with the Captain (or other Senior Officers). However, you might be a little disappointed in the experience on Celebrity, lately. They have done away with formal nights, and replaced them with 'Evening Chic'. Around the same time, the Captain/Senior Officers started hosting their guests in the specialty restaurants, rather than the MDR.

Good to hear you're on the mend, sail!

Thank you, both. :)

Interesting. Perhaps the elimination of formal nights no longer gives the MDR the sense of occasion it previously had on those evenings. Not when "Evening Chic" can mean the "good" pair of jeans and the "nice" baseball hat. :(

Having not cruised on X since it was instituted, I have no idea what "evening chic" really means. From what I've read on the X boards, people who want to dress up still do so. Sounds like there are fewer tuxes and more sport-coats, but things were heading that direction, anyway.

It is sad that the Captain's table is no longer in the MDR, but I'm glad that the tradition has not completely gone away. To me, one of the things that sets X apart from other mainstream cruiselines is the ability of passengers to converse and interact with the Captain and Senior Officers, onboard.

We have had dinner with the captain twice when we have been on the Celebrity Century.

Also on several RCL ships. The last time was on the Independence in July this year.

We have never been in a Penthouse or similar stateroom. But we always dress up on formal nights.

A young couple on their first cruise, staying in an indoor cabin, were on my relative's table on a Cunard ship... and they were invited to the captain's table.

Apparently they were completely overwhelmed, and walked around with stars in their eyes for the rest of the cruise. They're probably Cunarders for life!

Thank you, free styling.

My injured hand is slowly healing and hopfully, my typingweill soon improve. Thank you or you patiendffe with all my typos. hoperfull y Thery will soon br lessenedgreatly. Anyone who doersn't want to put upwewith it should put mr on their 'ignore.'. list O crouse, could be any of us at any time. :rolleyes.

I certainly understand. My right hand started hurting in June and the mega-Advil treatment my doctor put me on didn't have an effect...physical therapy is helping a little with strength, but my approved sessions ran out so waiting to hear if I get approval for more appointments. apparently it's the tendon that runs from my thumb to my wrist and the most I've been able to stay asleep at any one time is four hours...but usually I wake up at least three or four times a night from the pain. I'm just dreading to hear "You'll need surgery" from my doctor (never had real surgery, only been drugged for colonoscopys and giving birth, had just novocaine for gum surgery).

My keyboard is problematic as the lettering has rubbed off...and a few keys tend to stick, including the shift key on one side (which explains a lot of the lower case in my posts...it hurts my hand too much if I have to press very hard on that key).

so sending you good thoughts for a quick recovery.

I certainly understand. My right hand started hurting in June and the mega-Advil treatment my doctor put me on didn't have an effect...physical therapy is helping a little with strength' date=' but my approved sessions ran out so waiting to hear if I get approval for more appointments. apparently it's the tendon that runs from my thumb to my wrist and the most I've been able to stay asleep at any one time is four hours...but usually I wake up at least three or four times a night from the pain. I'm just dreading to hear "You'll need surgery" from my doctor (never had real surgery, only been drugged for colonoscopys and giving birth, had just novocaine for gum surgery).

My keyboard is problematic as the lettering has rubbed off...and a few keys tend to stick, including the shift key on one side (which explains a lot of the lower case in my posts...it hurts my hand too much if I have to press very hard on that key).

so sending you good thoughts for a quick recovery.[/quote']

Sending you all good thoughts and hopes you will not need surgery.

We were invited to dine with the captain on Radiance of the Seas and one of the senior officers on Mariner of the Seas. Both were on one of the formal nights during our cruise and were in the MDR. We were in a Grand Suite on the ROS and an Owner's Suite on the MOS. We accepted both invitations and enjoyed them very much.

Thank you, free styling.

My injured hand is slowly healing and hopfully, my typingweill soon improve. Thank you or you patiendffe with all my typos. hoperfull y Thery will soon br lessenedgreatly. Anyone who doersn't want to put upwewith it should put mr on their 'ignore.'. list O crouse, could be any of us at any time. :rolleyes.

I can't believe how rude some people are here. Hope you are healing well.

Sail7Seas does not need a new keyboard and has been providing very useful and informative information on this boards for years. She has a medical issue.

She was one of the 1st posters to respond to a question I posted over 2 years ago. I enjoy her insights and comments to this day.

Well said indeed. I don't know you. Nor do I know Sail7Seas. It was pretty obvious, however, reading her post that this was not a matter of typos and the possibly offensive comment was uncalled for. Her post made perfect sense and was better phrased than many posts on here.

My father is a retired Captain. Of course I've dined with him - lots. LOL! I know from experience that many people want to dine with the Captain - even now, at age 92, dad is being hotly pursued by a coterie of ladies at his Independent Living facility all of whom want to "serve" him and he is very popular with the men there for his sense of humor which is normal for my dad. There is constant competition to sit at his table in the dining room there and he never has an empty seat at his table - many times I have to pull up his rolator to sit on if I go visit him at mealtimes as no other chairs are available at his table. BUT...what is the attraction of dining with the Captain? I just want to understand. I've dined with so many Captains over the years from childhood through adulthood and they were mostly nice intelligent and well mannered men, but I don't quite understand why this is such a special attraction for so many? Is it the power and authority or what? Just curious...

My father is a retired Captain. Of course I've dined with him - lots. LOL! I know from experience that many people want to dine with the Captain - even now, at age 92, dad is being hotly pursued by a coterie of ladies at his Independent Living facility all of whom want to "serve" him and he is very popular with the men there for his sense of humor which is normal for my dad. There is constant competition to sit at his table in the dining room there and he never has an empty seat at his table - many times I have to pull up his rolator to sit on if I go visit him at mealtimes as no other chairs are available at his table. BUT...what is the attraction of dining with the Captain? I just want to understand. I've dined with so many Captains over the years from childhood through adulthood and they were mostly nice intelligent and well mannered men, but I don't quite understand why this is such a special attraction for so many? Is it the power and authority or what? Just curious...

We thought it was a nice thing to be invited, but it wouldn't have mattered if we weren't. I can think of thousands of people I would rather have dinner with. Elon Musk would be near the top of the list.

I have many experiences of people who I've never met before thinking that they know me, it's almost comical.

One cruise the Captain was convinced that I was playing some sort of joke when I had a card indicating it was my first cruise with that line.

I've had Chancellors of Universities come back after their procession just to say hi, guest speakers at functions pause to give me a nod or even a wave, so I guess the capt was far from alone.