Hurricane Matthew headed for Half Moon Cay

Sopwith

Winds are up to 135 mph or so (it's about to be a Category 4 cane) and there isn't tons to weaken it - it'll hit Jamaica HARD. If it stays on course to hit the northern Bahamian islands they very well might be destroyed. :/

Often a Caribbean-formed hurricane makes a slow crossing over the mountains in eastern Cuba which drains it energy.

Often a Caribbean-formed hurricane makes a slow crossing over the mountains in eastern Cuba which drains it energy.

Yup, this guy is west though and the core looks like it won't really cross over the 5,000' peaks on the far eastern Cuban ridge.

Let's hope it does do just that though.

There has b een severe beach erosion during the years since HAL developed HMC I sincerely hope his storm does not c ause more erosion and loss of beach .

Agree. The beach has gotten steeper and steeper.

HMC has had hurricanes go over it several times. The first few times, the damage was notable. Recently not so much. I think they have adapted everything to do pretty well through storms. Yes, they may lose a few trees, but it seems to be pretty well planned now.

Seems to me the last hurricane to pass over the island was about 3 years ago. I remember people here demanding info within hours. It took about 24 or 30 hours for info to get out that everything was pretty much OK. I think that was a Cat 3.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Holy crap recon has the latest pass at 947.8mb and surface winds of 121knts. WOW.

Looks like this one is troube for sure:(

I am more worried about the people on the various islands right now and the animals on HMC.

Hopefully, the island will be ok too.

According to the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Matthew will hit HMC sometime on Tuesday. Hopefully the damage won't be too severe. We are scheduled to stop there on Oct 22, hoping for the best.

We must be on the same cruise. Hoping for the best also.

Looks like this one is troube for sure:(

I am more worried about the people on the various islands right now and the animals on HMC.

Hopefully, the island will be ok too.

The caretakers on HMC take wonderful care of the horses.

Hope damage is minimal on Curacao, Aruba, Columbia and sure hope it misses HMC. We don't leave until end Nov for Panama Canal and that cruise goes to all of these ports. Hope it weakens soon.

Jane

Curaçao, Aruba and Columbia are so far south of projected track as to be almost certainly unimpacted. HMC is likely to get hit - hopefully not seriously.

It is rare that a Caribbean hurricane retains maximum strength after crossing the Greater Antilles.

Curaçao, Aruba and Columbia are so far south of projected track as to be almost certainly unimpacted. HMC is likely to get hit - hopefully not seriously.

It is rare that a Caribbean hurricane retains maximum strength after crossing the Greater Antilles.

Actually, there were tropical storm warnings up yesterday for the ABC Islands, and a small portion of the Venezuelan mainland.

Ok y'all alarmist; Redneck Bob reporting from Florida.

Though it currently may appear that Matt may pass near HMC, it may not impact it at all. That's why 5 days out we have a bubble of uncertainty. In Florida they tell us not to concentrate on the plotted path because it could be in error over 200 miles 5 days out.

It even could come into Florida. Holy c__p ! I better head towards Canada :eek: