New strain of Noro coming.....

Just keep on regularly washing your hands - I am convinced that the small percentage of people who contract Noro on a cruise (mostly not more than 10% of the people onboard) are the very ones who DON'T wash their hands regularly. They both give it to themselves by not washing hands enough (and "enough" does not simply mean after toileting!) - and then spread it around!!

Seems it's hit a few nursing homes and schools.

Funny from what I read I thought Noro was a "Ship Only" problem, only context the news ever seems to report on it.

Retirement Villages ,Hospitals and schools are constantly on guard for any outbreak. One of our major hospitals had to ban visitors once until they got the outbreak under control.

Retirement Villages ,Hospitals and schools are constantly on guard for any outbreak. One of our major hospitals had to ban visitors once until they got the outbreak under control.

Yep, had a few family members in nursing home, rehab centres etc recently they're on the lookout and will lockdown if necessary. I won't visit if I'm feeling even a bit crook.

Just keep on regularly washing your hands - I am convinced that the small percentage of people who contract Noro on a cruise (mostly not more than 10% of the people onboard) are the very ones who DON'T wash their hands regularly. They both give it to themselves by not washing hands enough (and "enough" does not simply mean after toileting!) - and then spread it around!!

I tend to disagree with that statement about passengers. I find passengers are generally clean. However I have been on cruise ships with an outbreak and after 26 cruises I have noticed the ones that have the outbreak the staff are not cleaning, there is a lack of enthusiasm and the quality of all the hygiene standards and cleaning standards by the crew is way below average.

I protect myself from this virus by bringing my own sanitary wipes and cleaning every surface in my cabin upon arrival from coat hangers to television remote to light switches to inside all the drawers and anything I intend to use in that cabin. I also avoid the gym on the ship even though I like to keep fit I find working up a sweat in that are exposes you more to the virus and I also avoid the lifts and never use the handrails at all. I have been on cruise ships with an outbreak and never got sick. I also avoid the buffet if I know there is an outbreak.

I personally think it is a combination of things. Sure you can get a filthy passenger, but the crew are just as equally guilty and so is management. I cannot fathom why some people expect the crew to have god like hygiene. They don't know what the crew get up to in their spare time. You know what they say about sailors and the red light districts in each port.....

I tend to disagree with that statement about passengers. I find passengers are generally clean. However I have been on cruise ships with an outbreak and after 26 cruises I have noticed the ones that have the outbreak the staff are not cleaning, there is a lack of enthusiasm and the quality of all the hygiene standards and cleaning standards by the crew is way below average.

I protect myself from this virus by bringing my own sanitary wipes and cleaning every surface in my cabin upon arrival from coat hangers to television remote to light switches to inside all the drawers and anything I intend to use in that cabin. I also avoid the gym on the ship even though I like to keep fit I find working up a sweat in that are exposes you more to the virus and I also avoid the lifts and never use the handrails at all. I have been on cruise ships with an outbreak and never got sick. I also avoid the buffet if I know there is an outbreak.

I personally think it is a combination of things. Sure you can get a filthy passenger, but the crew are just as equally guilty and so is management. I cannot fathom why some people expect the crew to have god like hygiene. They don't know what the crew get up to in their spare time. You know what they say about sailors and the red light districts in each port.....

That is the best excuse ever to stay out of the gym. I will be using that one for sure :D

That is the best excuse ever to stay out of the gym. I will be using that one for sure :D

Well I try to use it every day when I am at home but I find too many people are making it a new resolution on cruise ships and the sweat from other people can pass on illness. The more fit you are the more easier it becomes to exercise so you will take longer to build up a sweat than unfit people.

If you want to keep fit on the cruise ship then use the stairs. Walk the promenade deck or wander around to different vantage points entering ports or during scenic cruising. Also the pool is good enough to keep you fit.

I recently had norovirus, as did my husband and eldest daughter. We went to a 95th birthday party at a local all you can eat buffet. I had one plate of food, I did not go to the toilet or the bar. It had nothing to do with my hygiene. Of the 44 people in our group 22 became ill. The public health department investigated and confirmed it was the norovirus currently raging through NSW. The stomach cramps were horrendous. I think you can take every precaution but it may not stop you from getting sick. I just hope I don't get it again on my December cruise, three days sick is enough for me.

I recently had norovirus, as did my husband and eldest daughter. We went to a 95th birthday party at a local all you can eat buffet. I had one plate of food, I did not go to the toilet or the bar. It had nothing to do with my hygiene. Of the 44 people in our group 22 became ill. The public health department investigated and confirmed it was the norovirus currently raging through NSW. The stomach cramps were horrendous. I think you can take every precaution but it may not stop you from getting sick. I just hope I don't get it again on my December cruise, three days sick is enough for me.

You got it because you ate contaminated food. Either someone with the virus contaminated it or they contaminated the plates, utensils and other things you came into contact with that day.

I agree, my behaviour will not change, I will take all the usual precautions and avoidance of the buffet.:D

I have it at the moment, don't know where I picked it up, but I sure feel

rough, 4 days and still going, thank goodness it's still 5 weeks to our cruise.

One way of losing weight before we cruise.:D:D

Well I hope you recover well, and while weight loss may be nice, I can think of more pleasant ways to lose the weight.

I have it at the moment, don't know where I picked it up, but I sure feel

rough, 4 days and still going, thank goodness it's still 5 weeks to our cruise.

One way of losing weight before we cruise.:D:D

Good luck getting over it.

Unfortunately the type of weight loss that tends not to last.

Of course we all wipe clean our credit and ATM cards after they have been swiped or swallowed by the all-time germ breading eftpos or atm machine.(a) person comes along, inserts card, takes out then along comes b,c,d,etc,etc persons, all handling their cards,and putting into same machine.

Not to mention the buttons.

Then when we get home we all wipe out our wallets and purses.

Then when we are handed our change from a shop etc, we all wipe down the money, before we put in our all ready wiped purse.

:);):rolleyes::eek:

Pay wave may be your friend.

Nup, I have a cleaning regime and will stick to it.;)

When I try on clothes in a shop, I wipe down the hangers,wipe the stool, have even thought about towing a washing machine in, and laundering the clothes.

When at the gas station I always wipe down the pump, with my sterile wipes.

Always wipe down the mail before opening it.

If someone sneezes or coughs in a shop, i leave immediately.

I'm constantly sterile wiping airplane boarding passes, tickets, dockets, receipts.

I sterile wipe knifes and forks at restaurants, cafes. etc.

I sterile wipe any person who attempts to talk to me, or encroaches within a 2 metre space zone.

I sterile wipe all groceries cans, etc,etc, just in case someone has touched them before me.

I'm even thinking of getting sterile wipes to wipe the sterile wipes, just in case a germ jumps at me.

I live in sterile wipe heaven.:);):eek:

I don't like the smell of a gym, that is why I avoid them. Much prefer the cafe' with the coffee and cake smells.:D

I never seem to be able to find the gym but I continue to walk up and down all those damn stairs searching.

Of course we all wipe clean our credit and ATM cards after they have been swiped or swallowed by the all-time germ breading eftpos or atm machine.(a) person comes along, inserts card, takes out then along comes b,c,d,etc,etc persons, all handling their cards,and putting into same machine.

Not to mention the buttons.

Then when we get home we all wipe out our wallets and purses.

Then when we are handed our change from a shop etc, we all wipe down the money, before we put in our all ready wiped purse.

:);):rolleyes::eek:

You wipe money!!

You wipe money!!

No they don't. They clearly have an agenda and are looking to stir up and cause trouble with other members which is quite childish and irresponsible and certainly not normal behaviour.

If you look a few posts up I stated that I wipe coat hangers and inside drawers and the tv remote on a cruise ship cabin. Quite a reasonable precaution given that they are the most touched items by other passengers and are also the only items the stewards will never clean or wipe down. In fact statistically the toilet seat would be cleaner than some objects found in a cruise ship cabin. It makes sense to wipe those items on a cruise ship as a precaution. Many passengers do it as I have learnt on 26 cruises.

None the less they chose to respond as a subtle attempt to make fun of my reply which is quite obvious and quite childish.

Nup, I have a cleaning regime and will stick to it.;)

When I try on clothes in a shop, I wipe down the hangers,wipe the stool, have even thought about towing a washing machine in, and laundering the clothes.

When at the gas station I always wipe down the pump, with my sterile wipes.

Always wipe down the mail before opening it.

If someone sneezes or coughs in a shop, i leave immediately.

I'm constantly sterile wiping airplane boarding passes, tickets, dockets, receipts.

I sterile wipe knifes and forks at restaurants, cafes. etc.

I sterile wipe any person who attempts to talk to me, or encroaches within a 2 metre space zone.

I sterile wipe all groceries cans, etc,etc, just in case someone has touched them before me.

I'm even thinking of getting sterile wipes to wipe the sterile wipes, just in case a germ jumps at me.

I live in sterile wipe heaven.:);):eek:

You could just wear a latex gloves 24/7, saves doing all of that.:D