Norwegian Escape - Hurricane Matthew

Zeprider

The September 24th sailing is in progress and due to conclude tomorrow morning in Miami. At which point the October 1st sailing should occur. Or will it?

We have an Oct 8th sailing. What happens with regard to hurricane Matthew?

Many thanks,

Dean

Sent via Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Tapatalk

Your sailing is eight days away. It won't even exist by then.

There is already a couple of threads about Matthew on this first page, check them out.

Also, welcome to the forum.

No one knows what the status of the storm will be 8 days from now, so to say it won't even exist by then, is just an opinion.

Just as a couple of the computer models put it as a cat 5 stalled just north of the Bahamas in 7 days.

The September 24th sailing is in progress and due to conclude tomorrow morning in Miami. At which point the October 1st sailing should occur. Or will it?

Many thanks,

Dean

I suggest you monitor any hurricane that may affect your cruise. One site is:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

What is important is your port of embarkation will not be directly affected.

Many thanks,

Dean

It will be up to Norwegian but you will sail. If the storm is still active, they have the right and obligation in the name of safety to change the entire itinerary if they feel they have to but, with 99% confidence, I say you'll sail. You'll receive notice from NCL if anything changes. No worries.

My friend went on the breakaway which was just about when the storm in August hit. She didn't monitor the NCL website and the ship actually was departing early so as to beat some of the rough weather. I happened to check and it was posted that passengers should arrive early as the ship was going to sail a couple of hours earlier. Funny, that they notified her at noon the day of the sailing! Fortunately, I saw the announcement the night before her sailing. I do not know why NCL waited so long to call people and if she had a great distance to come from, or a flight, she could have missed the ship.

I suggest you monitor the NCL website at least a day before and continue up until the morning of the sailing to avoid any issues.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Many thanks,

Dean

Looking at today's 8AM advisory, and if what it says holds 50 to 60% true, you will sail on schedule. The track shows Matthew to be way north of SE FL by next Saturday. It also shows it to pass way East of SE FL. I have my shutters up, but do not really think they will be needed.

Good luck to you. Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers.

Lido,

you could be right on the money. As I remember, that is exactly what Andrew did in '92, in spite of what all the experts said. I remember the models, until the very last moment, had Andrew going Northeast, but alas, it was not to be. That sucker turned left and came right up by back yard. So you may be right.

Let's keep the good thoughts coming and hope the computer models are right this time.

Cheers.

I also remember how Hurricane Wilma suddenly stopped over Cozumel and just sat there churning for 24 hours or so doing a lot of damage before finally moving on.

Edited by Lido_Deck

I wanted to make it clear that I was not asking for meteorological advice. I'm a weather buff; I can get my own weather data. The information that I needed was the experience of those who have cruised before and during similar circumstances. Hindsight being what it is I should have been more specific such as what happens if NCL cancels the Oct 1st sailing? Do they move all booked cruises forward by a week? Refund the current scheduled passengers and have them book on a future sailing and return to the normal schedule the following week?

Given the current track of this storm and the lack of alerts of any type on NCL's website it is clear that the Oct 1st sailing will commence as scheduled. It's seems likely that the Escape can circumnavigate the storm at this point.

It's a wait and see game as another forum member indicated. Many thanks for the responses.

I wanted to make it clear that I was not asking for meteorological advice. I'm a weather buff; I can get my own weather data. The information that I needed was the experience of those who have cruised before and during similar circumstances. Hindsight being what it is I should have been more specific such as what happens if NCL cancels the Oct 1st sailing? Do they move all booked cruises forward by a week? Refund the current scheduled passengers and have them book on a future sailing and return to the normal schedule the following week?

Given the current track of this storm and the lack of alerts of any type on NCL's website it is clear that the Oct 1st sailing will commence as scheduled. It's seems likely that the Escape can circumnavigate the storm at this point.

It's a wait and see game as another forum member indicated. Many thanks for the responses.

You're asking about extremely rare circumstances that very few, if any people here, have experienced. Other than the recent Hermine that hit the Panhandle, the last real hurricane of significance to hit Florida was Wilma 11 years ago. Before that was Andrew 24 years ago. To give you any kind of real answers about where the storm is going to go, what the damage is to what and where and then what will be NCL's response is simply impossible. Any responses you get are pure conjecture and unreliable.

Lst year we were on Getaway for an Eastern carib cruise. .the day before the cruise the hurricane wes smack in our path ....so cruise line changed it to western ...

We were in the terminal ...tey announced hurricane turned was heded western ...back to Eastern for us

We had a great cruse ...seas dead calm ...we worried fr nothing

Hang in there anything can happen even last minute bon voyage

Lido,

you could be right on the money. As I remember, that is exactly what Andrew did in '92, in spite of what all the experts said. I remember the models, until the very last moment, had Andrew going Northeast, but alas, it was not to be. That sucker turned left and came right up by back yard. So you may be right.

Let's keep the good thoughts coming and hope the computer models are right this time.

Cheers.

The Andrew track was consistent...steadily moving west. The only discrepancy was it wobbled more south before hitting land and it hit Homestead/Florida city instead of Palm Beach County. 6 hours after becoming a hurricane, predictions had it hitting Jupiter, Florida. Few were prepared not because of poor predictions but that few took a major hurricane serious in those days.

These storm threads always cause undue festering. NCL is not going to change course until real events happen and they will respond appropriately. Cruising will go on. There could be an alteration in itinerary but the cruise will go on.

**now back to your regularly scheduled programming***

EVERYONE PANIC :eek:

Edited by david_sobe

Many thanks,

Dean

Based on your location I would be more concerned with protecting my home than cruising. Matthew could easily move a little bit west and hit south FL as a CAT 5 storm mid week.

Thanks, S&S. :) (I wouldn't have expected to see anyone say they like my posts, as I can be a little caustic myself ... but I do hate to see people getting dogpiled for relatively benign posts.)

That said ... am I remembering correctly that you're on the 10/14 sailing too (or were we on GA the same week? Or is it both?)? I'm hoping this is all cleared out by then but I'm feeling for those folks in the next 7-8 days. (And friends in Florida. I'm in NC and no models are heading this way, for the most part, but it's so early.)

Some major Carnival itinerary changes announced a short while ago, including a Caribbean / Bahamas cruise that is now becoming a NY cruise (the Pride I think).

Yes, we keep booking the same cruises. Getaway was great a couple of months ago:D

My sons are on the Escape 10/8 so I've been keeping an eye on this for them, but it looks like it will have blown past Miami by the day they fly in. Still, we have to hope this storm will settle down and not cause too much harm. Interesting about Carnival. They packed for the Caribbean and end up in New York.

It appears that there are some who are experienced with this topic and I value your feedback greatly. I have a better idea of what I might expect.

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens about the approach of Hurricane Matthew. The National Hurricane Center (NHC; http://www.nhc.noaa.gov) reports that Hurricane Matthew is headedfor The Bahamas and a hurricane watch has been issued for parts of Haiti and Cuba. A hurricane watch means that hurricaneconditions are possible within the watch area, generally within 48hours. Hurricane storm conditions in terms of wind are expected to reachthe area by October 5. U.S. citizens residing and traveling in coastal areas in this region should be alert to flooding.

Given the approaching hurricane, there is limited time available for a safe departure. The Department of State has authorized family members of U.S. government employees to depart The Bahamas in advance of Hurricane Matthew. We recommend U.S. citizens depart The Bahamas if possible and work with commercial air carriers to leave prior to the arrival of the hurricane. Airports will close once conditions deteriorate and safe travel is not possible. We recommend those citizens who are unable to depart to shelter in place in a secure location.

Travelers should apprise familyand friends in the United States of their whereabouts, and keep in closecontact with their tour operator, hotel staff, and local officials forevacuation instructions. Travelersshould also protect their travel and identity documents against loss ordamage, as the need to replace lost documentation could hamper or delayreturn to the United States.

"At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Matthew in the Caribbean. At this time, all of our ships are sailing as scheduled and are not impacted by the storm’s path. Our nautical operations team has identified alternate routes for ships that are scheduled to sail near where the storm may pass later this week and into the weekend, in the event that itineraries need to be adjusted to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all of our guests and crew. Should there be any updates, guests will be advised and updated information will be posted on www.ncl.com."

"At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Matthew in the Caribbean. At this time, all of our ships are sailing as scheduled and are not impacted by the storm’s path. Our nautical operations team has identified alternate routes for ships that are scheduled to sail near where the storm may pass later this week and into the weekend, in the event that itineraries need to be adjusted to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all of our guests and crew. Should there be any updates, guests will be advised and updated information will be posted on www.ncl.com."

Interesting, is this a factor of all the current Caribbean fleet ship locations happening to be outside of the danger zone? (I'm not familiar enough with NCL to have an idea where all the ships running carib/bahamas runs might be right now.)

Edit: Looked up the Escape and GA locations at least:

http://www.cruisemapper.com/Norwegian-Escape-location?imo=9677076

http://www.cruisemapper.com/Norwegian-Getaway-location?imo=9606924

Edited by AdoraBelle

Hi AdoraBelle, this is a verbatim statement from the NCL website. My interpretation of this is that all scheduled cruises are to take place outside of the danger zone of the storm at this time. This should include cruise itineraries in progress as well as planned through the weekend. This makes sense to me while taking my Saturday cruise into account as the Hurricane should be well north of Miami on Saturday.

It sounds like all cruises are skirting the danger.