Passengers left behind?

Ken Greco

we almost missed a cruise sail away once! Just before our eight year wedding anniversary, the hubby and i were in a multiple rollover accident in south carolina on the way to cruise port. While in the er, suffering from a concussion and awaiting mri and stitches, i did the math to figure exactly how many hours we could spend in the hospital and still have time to find a rental car, purchase some new shoes (mine were lost in wreckage) and the biggest pair of sunglasses we could find (to cover my black eye and stitches), and finish the drive before sail away. In short, we made it, woke up the morning after our first full night's sleep on the ship to find that the real pain comes on the day after the accident...and immediately cashed out all of our shore excursions for three couple's massages. In hindsight, it was a cruise we should have missed. But i had a concussion so wasn't quite in my right mind and the hubby was just doing whatever necessary to prevent his wife from dissolving into hysterics. The poor guy spent the entire cruise getting dirty looks from other passengers who assumed my facial trauma was a result of spousal abuse.

In less than two months, we are cruising again to celebrate our 14 year anniversary. Aiming to be on the ship with plenty of time to spare and no drama:cool:

wow!

We almost missed a cruise sail away once! Just before our eight year wedding anniversary, the hubby and I were in a multiple rollover accident in South Carolina on the way to cruise port. While in the ER, suffering from a concussion and awaiting MRI and stitches, I did the math to figure exactly how many hours we could spend in the hospital and still have time to find a rental car, purchase some new shoes (mine were lost in wreckage) and the biggest pair of sunglasses we could find (to cover my black eye and stitches), and finish the drive before sail away. In short, we made it, woke up the morning after our first full night's sleep on the ship to find that the real pain comes on the day AFTER the accident...and immediately cashed out all of our shore excursions for three couple's massages. In hindsight, it was a cruise we should have missed. But I had a concussion so wasn't quite in my right mind and the hubby was just doing whatever necessary to prevent his wife from dissolving into hysterics. The poor guy spent the entire cruise getting dirty looks from other passengers who assumed my facial trauma was a result of spousal abuse.

In less than two months, we are cruising again to celebrate our 14 year anniversary. Aiming to be on the ship with plenty of time to spare and NO drama:cool:

You Win!

Wow, in hindsight, of course. You both had to be working with so many emotions.

###

Last year on royal jewel. A passenger didn't hear his name called over the pa, so they broke into his safe took all his belongings and left them at their pier office. Oh boy was he pissed lol they had to retrieve all his stuff and fly it to the exit port. They ended up giving him a free cruise for future

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never had anyone of our group miss the ship and we have been cruising since 71, and we take mostly private tours organized thru cruise critic and have never been late back to the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I knew a lady from our Coastal cruise two years ago, flying in from Alabama the day of the cruise and landing at 3 PM, we all told her she wouldn't make it to port as it was a 30 min drive in Seattle. She was unable to change her flight. The only reason she and 90 others made it, was because they paid for Transfers. They arrived 45 min before sail away.

Last year on royal jewel. A passenger didn't hear his name called over the pa, so they broke into his safe took all his belongings and left them at their pier office. Oh boy was he pissed lol they had to retrieve all his stuff and fly it to the exit port. They ended up giving him a free cruise for future

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm surprised they gave him anything.

What I do winder is how he got on the ship without them knowing.

Yes, under 4

circumstances,

Cruise A ....they missed their flight connection and did not make it to the ship.

Cruise B.....The ship left early to outrun a storm with people still on the pier.

Cruise C and D...late arrivals at a port of call thinking the ship will wait for them. One was a mother with a baby stroller. Very sad!

Yes the B scenario. It was our 1st cruise (1st anniversary) out of NYC on the Home Lines Oceanic. The only stop was Nassau. The Captain warned that there was a storm approaching and wanted all passengers to be in contact as the ship would leave asap and not get stuck in port. Well, the storm did approach and the ship left. We found out later at dinner that some 100+ passengers were left behind and many of them crazy golfers. lol

Yep. Several times we've seen people staggering along on the Cozumel dock, and they start to sprint (to no avail) when they see the ship pulling away.

It's called "The Running of the Drunks" Happens each week ,at the same time . :eek:

Where can you find a Fort Lauderdale hotel for $100?

Check the Choice hotels website then call the hotel directly for a better price. You also may look at the hotels that give you free transportation from the airport to the cruise ship saving you about $30

Sent from my iPad using Forum

Be Thankful Senor Frogs is very close to the cruise port in Nassau. I am not sure what time it opens in Nassau but our ship arrives at 7 am and leaves at 2pm. I will bet there will be people staggering back to the ship around 1:45 pm; hey you are on a cruise do not worry you will never see your fellow passengers again LOL

Missing the ship isn't always due to the antics of the passengers while in port. Excursion issues can be the cause. For example about 4 -5 years ago a group of Men from a HAL Alaskan Cruise were on a fishing excursion. The weather changed abruptly and the small fishing boat could not return to the port of call that it originated from where the ship was docked. The excursion boat was re-routed to the safest nearest port and HAL was not able to have the men meet up with the ship until embarkation day. Trying to meet up with the ship is Alaska is pretty near impossible. HAL put all the men up at a Hotel and comped everything. Think there was also compensation made towards a future cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

What is considered low season? Is that the summertime?

Bill

We're sailing in January and found three hotels under $100, with a bunch more between $100-$125. Can also go an hour and a half south and stay in the Jules Undersea Lodge in Key Largo. Only $800 a night for two if you're a certified scuba diver, add $95 per person if you aren't. :D

Now Key West I can see having a hard time finding a cheap hotel, cheapest rooms we could find were around $200 a night, but we've got a night in Orlando and a night in Fort Lauderdale for under $100 each.