Dining Questions - Recent Experiences Wanted

Looked at the Cruise Planner sample 150 Central Park menu and it confuses me. Is the experience no longer a pre-set tasting menu? There seems to be quite a lot of choice instead of what I remember from the old sample .pdf menus a couple of years ago. If anyone has any very recent experience, I'd love to hear from you, especially if it was on Harmony.

Does anyone know if they sell dining packages once onboard? I have OBC and grats and drinks are already paid and will likely pre-purchase internet so wanted to use the OBC for a 5 night dining package instead. Anyone purchased a dining package on boarding day? On Oasis class or Harmony specifically?

Looking forward to hearing from this ever so helpful and knowledgable group!

Looked at the Cruise Planner sample 150 Central Park menu and it confuses me. Is the experience no longer a pre-set tasting menu? There seems to be quite a lot of choice instead of what I remember from the old sample .pdf menus a couple of years ago. If anyone has any very recent experience, I'd love to hear from you, especially if it was on Harmony.

Does anyone know if they sell dining packages once onboard? I have OBC and grats and drinks are already paid and will likely pre-purchase internet so wanted to use the OBC for a 5 night dining package instead. Anyone purchased a dining package on boarding day? On Oasis class or Harmony specifically?

Looking forward to hearing from this ever so helpful and knowledgable group!

Yes, you can purchase dinning packages once you board. They had the sampler the last time we sailed on Allure on a Transatlantic a year ago.

It's not guaranteed that what they are offing through the cruise planner will be offered on board. On our Allure cruise they were only offering the 3 day package on board and on our Oasis cruise they did not offer any dining packages.

Thank you. I was afraid it would be inconsistent. Were your cruises since the current dining packages have been offered?

Thank you. I was afraid it would be inconsistent. Were your cruises since the current dining packages have been offered?

Yes, both cruises had the new dining packages. While ours may have been the exception and they most likely will be offered on board there is that possibility that they won't. Royal's inconsistancy can be extremely frustrating at times.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The new approach will include 3 of the 5 courses as Pre-fixe... you will have options on the other two courses.

Price will change a bit...

This according to the F&B manager on the Oasis 4 weeks ago

Thank you for the response. This does contradict the menu sample, though. It's statint the choices are simply a 3 course meal of appetizer, main and dessert/cheese choice or a 4 course meal with wine pairing of 2 appetizers, main and dessert/cheese choice.

Would still love to hear from diners who've experienced this change.

Currently sailing on HOTS and the prices are

3 course dinner $45 appetiser entree desert or cheese

4 course dinner $89 (all inclusive with wine)

Two appetisers one entree desert or cheese.

Sommelier's wine pairing selections.

The steaks offered are a 23oz dry aged ribeye for two carved table side served with potato-leak gratin and bearnaise and bordelaise sauces.

Or

Braised beef short rib with charred leeks sweet potato purée toasted walnuts and watercress.

There is also

Lamb

Scallops

Cod

Chicken

Grilled vegetables

Edited by Jmoore7798@aol.com
Wrong spelling

Thank you cruisefan and Pmorton. I'll try to keep an open mind, but you are both confirming what I was suspecting. I wonder why they tinkered with the testing menu concept after all this time?

I dined in 150 Central Park on Harmony and it was a very mixed affair. Only one out of my three visits was of the standard expected. I'll try to submit a photo review of my experiences tonight after work.

My view is that changing the menu to A La Carte was a mistake. By pandering to fussy eaters, the expertise has been diluted over too many dishes, resulting in inconsistency. 150 on Oasis with the Degustation Menu was superb and consistent on my two visits.

Thank you cruisefan and Pmorton. I'll try to keep an open mind, but you are both confirming what I was suspecting. I wonder why they tinkered with the testing menu concept after all this time?

Perhaps this is just short term during the current European stint. When we were on Allure last year, they changed the menu from the U.S. menu at that time...perhaps for a different "audience" in that part of the world.

Looked at the Cruise Planner sample 150 Central Park menu and it confuses me. Is the experience no longer a pre-set tasting menu? There seems to be quite a lot of choice instead of what I remember from the old sample .pdf menus

On Allure a few weeks ago and the menu has changed. It is no longer the set tasting menu. You choose each course from a listed selection. They said this was in response to customer feedback.

The new approach will include 3 of the 5 courses as Pre-fixe... you will have options on the other two courses.

Price will change a bit...

This according to the F&B manager on the Oasis 4 weeks ago

On Allure a few weeks ago no courses were pre-fixe. All had options to choose from.

Thank you for the response. This does contradict the menu sample, though. It's statint the choices are simply a 3 course meal of appetizer, main and dessert/cheese choice or a 4 course meal with wine pairing of 2 appetizers, main and dessert/cheese choice.

Would still love to hear from diners who've experienced this change.

Used to be 5 coureses, all pre-fixe. Now it's 3 courses and you have choices for each. On Allure a few weeks ago I don't recall seeing the other option, for 4 courses with wine pairing, but we have 150 booked for Harmony in a few weeks at $89 so assume that's what it is. Don't know if that menu is pre-fixe or has choices.

Currently sailing on HOTS and the prices are

3 course dinner $45 appetiser entree desert or cheese

4 course dinner $89 (all inclusive with wine)

Two appetisers one entree desert or cheese.

Sommelier's wine pairing selections.

The steaks offered are a 23oz dry aged ribeye for two carved table side served with potato-leak gratin and bearnaise and bordelaise sauces.

Or

Braised beef short rib with charred leeks sweet potato purée toasted walnuts and watercress.

There is also

Lamb

Scallops

Cod

Chicken

Grilled vegetables

Do any of the other venues offer RibEye?

Is on the menu at Jamie's

It's an 8oz dry aged rib eye steak chargrilled with herby garlic butter fresh horseradish crunchy green salad and funky chips.

Wonderland

Has Terroir Beef river stone potatoes and bordelaise sauce.

Chops Grille

Is not offering rib eye.

Is Jamies in lieu of Giovani's

thanks

I dined in 150 Central Park on Harmony and it was a very mixed affair. Only one out of my three visits was of the standard expected. I'll try to submit a photo review of my experiences tonight after work.

My view is that changing the menu to A La Carte was a mistake. By pandering to fussy eaters, the expertise has been diluted over too many dishes, resulting in inconsistency. 150 on Oasis with the Degustation Menu was superb and consistent on my two visits.

Thanks for the response. I would very much appreciate a mini Megacruiser review of the food and experience.

I know worth is subjective but your views on the value of the experience would be meaningful, too. I've enjoyed your reviews in the past. I'm having trouble believing that the new 3 course menu offered for the same cost as the 6 course tasting experience will justify the hit to my pocketbook unless the quality of the food is superior to what it used to be. I'll probably try it anyway.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Thanks for the response. I would very much appreciate a mini Megacruiser review of the food and experience.

I know worth is subjective but your views on the value of the experience would be meaningful, too. I've enjoyed your reviews in the past. I'm having trouble believing that the new 3 course menu offered for the same cost as the 6 course tasting experience will justify the hit to my pocketbook unless the quality of the food is superior to what it used to be. I'll probably try it anyway.

Hello. I would certainly try it. If you choose the right dishes and they are served as they should be, 150 will probably be the best quality meal you will have on board. Wonderland certainly is more of a memorable experience and the food was pretty impressive too.

I have given a mini review of 150 with other specialty dining observations here: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2412862

I hope this is helpful.