Does Does the Grandeur have stabilizers

just for the record, I HAVE sailed on Grandeur before and found her plenty big enough. Booked for Nov 28, 2019.

A few years we sailed on the (smaller)Holland America Maasdam from Norfolk. The ship was docked at the maritime museum there, which is also home to the US Navy retired battleship Wisconsin. I was stunned that the Maasdam towered over the battleship! Don't know how many other folks would be impressed by this, but I was!

just for the record, I HAVE sailed on Grandeur before and found her plenty big enough. Booked for Nov 28, 2019.

A few years we sailed on the (smaller)Holland America Maasdam from Norfolk. The ship was docked at the maritime museum there, which is also home to the US Navy retired battleship Wisconsin. I was stunned that the Maasdam towered over the battleship! Don't know how many other folks would be impressed by this, but I was!

I assume that's a typo and meant 2017. The Brilliance was even bigger (the biggest ship to call in Norfolk) when we stopped on the TA in May last year.

I'm fairly certain that all monohull cruise ships built in the last 100 or so years have gyroscopic stabilizers to limit roll. In heavy seas, it might seem like they are not doing much but the roll would be far more severe without them.

First off, cruise ships are an invention of the 60's and 70's not a hundred years. There were passenger liners back a hundred years, but they didn't have stabilizers.

...The Brilliance was even bigger (the biggest ship to call in Norfolk) when we stopped on the TA in May last year.
I assume that you mean the biggest ship to call at Norfolk cruise port. The aircraft carriers at NS Norfolk are longer, wider, taller, heavier and carry more people (as well as more planes:rolleyes: and sure cost a lot more).

Finished a trans atlantic from Miami last April on Celebrity Reflection. Great trip on Celebrities Flagship. But Linda and I still love Grandeur and we'll be sailing on her for our forth time January 3, 2017 on a 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise from Baltimore. We live about 30 minutes from the port in Annapolis, and love the convenience of driving to the port. We have always loved the ship, especially the smaller size, but there seems to be something special about the crews. We are always treated so great by the staff. I think more than anything else, that's what keeps us coming back.

You'll love this Grand Lady.... Forget about some of the negative reviews, believe me some people just can't seem to enjoy themselves. The ship is well cared for, food and entertainment have always been excellent, Baltimore is a great port, and due to the smaller size, you get to know more of your fellow passengers. (assuming you want too :D)

And once again, you'll be treated so well by her crew.......:)

Enjoy your trip.;)

I assume that you mean the biggest ship to call at Norfolk cruise port. The aircraft carriers at NS Norfolk are longer, wider, taller, heavier and carry more people (as well as more planes:rolleyes: and sure cost a lot more).

don't be so fast .....

USS Ronald Regan .... newer aircraft carrier

Length: 1,092 feet (332.80 m)

Displacement: 103,027 ton

Oasis OTS

Length: 1,186 feet (361.60 m)

Displacement: 100,000 ton

I'd agree that most folks are surprised to see even an 'average size' cruise ship next to a WWII battleship. Thought of as HUGE they are small in size ... but here's the booboo .....

A battleship had a hull INCHES thick and other parts measured in FEET THICK .... not so on a cruise ship.

Bottom line is "metrics" in the ship business are not the same as what you see on land so don't have a knee jerk reflex to a number .....

and isn't the newest RCL a hair longer?

another way to slice the bread

a big squat heavy beast made to sustain damage

versus

a light weight, built tall and long and built to accommodate the most pass' stuff . . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

don't be so fast .....

USS Ronald Regan .... newer aircraft carrier

Length: 1,092 feet (332.80 m)

Displacement: 103,027 ton

Oasis OTS

Length: 1,186 feet (361.60 m)

Displacement: 100,000 ton...

I was curious about the height above water too. I had the impression (maybe mistaken) that the US aircraft carriers could now fit through the new canal locks and would not have a problem clearing the Bridge of the Americas, whereas the jury is still out if Voyager/Freedom/Oasis could fit under that bridge.

don't be so fast ......

...Bottom line is "metrics" in the ship business are not the same as what you see on land so don't have a knee jerk reflex to a number .....

I agree with both items I have quoted, and agree that one of us had a knee jerk too fast reaction. If you read the entirety of the post you quote you will see that that discussion was about Brilliance, a LONG ways from an O-class ship.
I was curious about the height above water too. I had the impression (maybe mistaken) that the US aircraft carriers could now fit through the new canal locks and would not have a problem clearing the Bridge of the Americas, whereas the jury is still out if Voyager/Freedom/Oasis could fit under that bridge.
Air Draft of ships seems to be the most difficult dimension to find. Wikipedia (I'm not claiming infallibility) lists Ford class carriers with "height" of 250 feet or 78 meters.. It does not specify if this is height above water or above keel (but my GUESS is above keel). Note that only 2 significant digits are given. The thermal coefficient of expansion for steel can change the length and height of a vessel by centimeters with a change of one Celsius degree, so people who quote values in centimeters are deluding themselves. If 250 feet is keel to peak, and navigational water draft is 37 feet, that leaves 213 feet above water versus the listed 201 feet (I think, haven't looked it up) clearance for Bridge of Americas. I think Ford class can take on ballast to sink 4 feet below navigational draft, but I'm really not qualified to discuss that. LOTS of tidal variation, so maybe... An aircraft carrier could be a lot more patient than a cruise ship in waiting for monthly low tides.

Thom

Air Draft of ships seems to be the most difficult dimension to find. Wikipedia (I'm not claiming infallibility) lists Ford class carriers with "height" of 250 feet or 78 meters.. It does not specify if this is height above water or above keel (but my GUESS is above keel). Note that only 2 significant digits are given. The thermal coefficient of expansion for steel can change the length and height of a vessel by centimeters with a change of one Celsius degree, so people who quote values in centimeters are deluding themselves. If 250 feet is keel to peak, and navigational water draft is 37 feet, that leaves 213 feet above water versus the listed 201 feet (I think, haven't looked it up) clearance for Bridge of Americas. I think Ford class can take on ballast to sink 4 feet below navigational draft, but I'm really not qualified to discuss that. LOTS of tidal variation, so maybe... An aircraft carrier could be a lot more patient than a cruise ship in waiting for monthly low tides.

Thom

Thanks for the research Thom. I agree that it's tough to find the air draft. I spent some time looking and gave up. You got farther than I did.:)

Thanks for the research Thom. I agree that it's tough to find the air draft. I spent some time looking and gave up. You got farther than I did.:)
Bob:

Anytime that I can come up with more than you is rare; I'll go to bed with a smile:) on my face.

There is lots of good info here on CC (okay, and some crap), but you are one of a few people who I trust for RCI info.

Thom

First off, cruise ships are an invention of the 60's and 70's not a hundred years.

I did not state anything contrary to that.

There were passenger liners back a hundred years, but they didn't have stabilizers.

Wrong. The SS Conte di Savoia is one example of a passenger ship built in the last 100 or so years (launched in 1931) which had stabilizers.

Stabilizers are retractable airfoil shaped fins that are used to reduce ship rolling.

That's one kind of stabilizer used on ships, but certainly not the only kind. Gyroscopic stabilizers were used starting in the 19th century and are making a comeback. I've been on some modern ships that used gyroscopes rather than fins for stabilization. There are advantages and disadvantages to the different kinds of stabilizers. Anyway, all cruise ships have some kind of stabilizers, possibly not fins.

I can recall being on watch on a CG cutter that was built during WWII. Some of my duties while outside of the engineroom included checking the prop shafts, aft steering, and - making sure the gyroscope was still turning. Even with the gyro we would roll in heavy seas. We used to laugh about walking on shore after being used to the roll and pitch with our "sea legs."

We hope to one day sail on the Grandeur of the Seas making use of the Baltimore port an hour away.

Edited by Heartgrove