No extension cords thru Celebrity security

Debordo

It must be new that they've started enforcing this rule. Thanks for the heads up!!! We have sailed 15 times with one without it being confiscated. Guess they'll have to provide one from now on as it's needed for hubby's CPAP.

Just make sure you notify special needs in advance. I use a cpap as well and it was real nice not to have to carry the extension or the distilled water.

Since Celebrity doesn't rent or sell extension cords, it seems that it must certainly be about some kind of safety issue onboard, right? I mean, they have no reason otherwise to deny people extension cords. It's not like booze smuggling or whatnot.

It seems to me like smuggling a cord onboard might be a bad idea if there is a legitimate reason to deny them. I am surprised that so many people seem to think that it's a good idea.

How about surge protectors?

Please let me know if anyone hears anything about surge protectors. We each have our own computer tablet, cell phone, etc, so carry a multi outlet surge protector with us to keep electronics charged.

thanks,

Cheryl Corcoran

There was a thread on the Princess forum a couple of weeks ago that had good, and important, information regarding surge protectors and why they are banned on cruise lines. Has something to do with the fact that a ship is not grounded like a building on land is. A couple of posters involved with the cruise industry explained the risk, which is quite substantial. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2405708

Edited by sloopsailor

Since Celebrity doesn't rent or sell extension cords, it seems that it must certainly be about some kind of safety issue onboard, right? I mean, they have no reason otherwise to deny people extension cords. It's not like booze smuggling or whatnot.

It seems to me like smuggling a cord onboard might be a bad idea if there is a legitimate reason to deny them. I am surprised that so many people seem to think that it's a good idea.

I would not say we smuggle it on board. It is in the suitcase because we needed it at a hotel before and after the cruise. Once on board we have the cabin steward get a Celebrity extension cord. The cabin steward routes it on the ceiling. Up and over. They dont want it on the floor as it can be a trip hazard.

I might buy the safety issue point if it weren't for the fact that the one time I used a ship-provided cord it was old, frayed and blatantly unsafe.

With 45 years of electrical engineering experience under my belt, I feel competent to safely choose and use an extension cord. :)

We will arrive with both banned items just because we travel with them, stowed with hubby's CPAP (or maybe it's a BiPAP, doesn't take water). Have already contacted Special needs to ask for 3 extension cords and they will be waiting for us. I'm sure that they will confiscate what we have, and since we use the surge protector as a power strip, i asked for the extra extension cords.

I wasn't aware they routed the extension cords up and over to the CPAP's. They didn't do that on our Alaskan cruise.

There was a thread on the Princess forum a couple of weeks ago that had good, and important, information regarding surge protectors and why they are banned on cruise lines. Has something to do with the fact that a ship is not grounded like a building on land is. A couple of posters involved with the cruise industry explained the risk, which is quite substantial. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2405708

Thanks Sloopsailor. LOTS of info in that thread. We are going to get a cheap power strip to take on this trip instead of the surge protector and hope that it will pass. We still have 3 extension cords that will be provided by Celebrity. Thinking about buying a USB charger with 5 USB ports. that will take care of a few things like cell phones and iPads. Are USB chargers allowed?

Thanks again for all the info!

Cheryl Corcoran

Thanks Sloopsailor. LOTS of info in that thread. We are going to get a cheap power strip to take on this trip instead of the surge protector and hope that it will pass. We still have 3 extension cords that will be provided by Celebrity. Thinking about buying a USB charger with 5 USB ports. that will take care of a few things like cell phones and iPads. Are USB chargers allowed?

Thanks again for all the info!

Cheryl Corcoran

I have never had a problem with USB chargers. This is the one I bring with me. It has three 120V power outlets and two USB outlets. It's about $6 from Amazon. It's about the size of a deck of playing cards, so it is easy to pack. It's made by Monster Power, part number MP OTG300 LTOP.

742117a1-5353-407c-8798-b56607fb0d46.jpg._CB305184887__SL300__.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

I have never had a problem with USB chargers. This is the one I bring with me. It has three 120V power outlets and two USB outlets. It's about $6 from Amazon. It's about the size of a deck of playing cards, so it is easy to pack. It's made by Monster Power, part number MP OTG300 LTOP.

742117a1-5353-407c-8798-b56607fb0d46.jpg._CB305184887__SL300__.jpg

Thanks again for all the info! The USB charger we bought is probably about the same size, but only has USB ports (5 or 6 i think). Most of our electronic stuff has a USB end on the charger cord, so this should work wonderfully well.

Cheryl Corcoran

Last fall I had a outlet expander thing (that I keep in my cpap case, mostly for hotel use) and they confiscated it (the Infinity).

They give these things back, though. They had it labeled with our cabin number and name and it was sitting on our bed the evening before we left the ship.

On the ship, the steward was able to provide us with two extension cords for the CPAPs. The biggest issue for us is that with two CPAPS we use up all the open US outlets available, which means we can't charge our phones/devices overnight. (The steward did suggest that we could unplug the TV and use that outlet at night, but we didn't do that). It ended up being OK - we just found time to charge them when we weren't sleeping.

I do think this policy, or the enforcement might be somewhat new, as I brought both the expander and an extension cord onboard the Silhouette about 2 years ago with no problems. Or else they just didn't catch them. I ended up having to get a ship extension cord anyway because of the distance from the bed to the outlet.

We just got back from a Pacific Coastal on Infinity. Our brand new 5-outlet power bar with surge protector was confiscated (they had picked up on the 300 watt steamer but not the power bar until I pointed it out!). The steamer was then pronounced okay, but the power bar taken until the end of the cruise, promising that they could provide an approved power bar.

In fact no power bars were available, and the Captain's Club Hostess was able to get the Chief Electrician to look at our power bar. He approved it and we are able to use it for the voyage, with the proviso that we unplug it when not in use.

He explained that the issue is that some power bars are cheaply made and pose a risk to the ship, so it appears that a good quality one is fine if inspected. We only plugged in iPad/iPod/Laptop plugins, so the total draw from all 5 outlets was minimal.

Please let me know if anyone hears anything about surge protectors. We each have our own computer tablet, cell phone, etc, so carry a multi outlet surge protector with us to keep electronics charged.

thanks,

Cheryl Corcoran

We just got back from a Pacific Coastal on Infinity. Our brand new 5-outlet power bar with surge protector was confiscated (they had picked up on the 300 watt steamer but not the power bar until I pointed it out!). The steamer was then pronounced okay, but the power bar taken until the end of the cruise, promising that they could provide an approved power bar.

In fact no power bars were available, and the Captain's Club Hostess was able to get the Chief Electrician to look at our power bar. He approved it and we are able to use it for the voyage, with the proviso that we unplug it when not in use.

He explained that the issue is that some power bars are cheaply made and pose a risk to the ship, so it appears that a good quality one is fine if inspected. We only plugged in iPad/iPod/Laptop plugins, so the total draw from all 5 outlets was minimal.

Hmmm. now i have to think, dammit! I hate to do that! Just bought a "cheap'" Belkin power strip that is not a surge protector, and planned on taking it with us for Hubby's CPAP and our electronics in the hotel before cruise. We have requested 3 extension cords onboard because I didn't know you could request a power strip! Think I will try to request a power strip and if one isn't available maybe we will be lucky and get ours passed to be used. All we have to charge are cell phones, toothbrushes, iPads and keyboard cases, and a bluetooth speaker. Pretty low draw I would think.

Thanks for the update!!!

Cheryl & Phil Corcoran

Unfortunately, here is an example of where a technical person has either not read the USCG Safety Notice, or not understood it's full implications, nor explained it correctly.

The USCG Safety Notice mentions two problems with consumer power strips with surge protectors. One is the presence of surge protectors, which are not required on ships (not a single one is used for the multitude of ship's electronics, including the navigation and engineering automation systems), and which can fail and cause a fire due to reverse voltages.

The second problem comes about with even a typical US consumer power strip, even without a surge protector, or what the Safety Notice calls "inexpensive" power strips. These power strips have a circuit breaker only on one leg of the power circuit (the "hot" leg), but assume that the other leg (the "neutral" leg) is at the same voltage as ground, so there is no need to interrupt this wire when an overcurrent situation happens (short circuit). Because on ships, the "neutral" leg is not at the same voltage (potential) as ground, in a short circuit situation, current can continue to flow in the neutral wire even if the "hot" leg has tripped the circuit breaker.

This is what the electrician meant about "inexpensive" power strips, but while they are a small danger, the ship's circuit breaker is a two pole breaker and will protect the wiring even if the power strip doesn't. The better alternative is to use a "European" 220v power strip, which typically has a circuit breaker on both legs.

However, while the danger from a single leg circuit breaker in a consumer power strip is relatively minor, the danger from a surge suppressor is far greater, and this electrician should not have allowed the power strip to be used. Here is a post from a CC member, who questioned my insistance that surge protectors not be used onboard ships, who had an electrical engineering background, and who went and did research and posted his findings and his support of my stance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

Hopefully Edge class ships will have a bedside outlet!!

This is my pet peeve with the cruise lines. If they can find a way to create theme parks with rides and design robotic bartenders to make drinks why can't they up date they electrical outlets? Wouldn't it be easier to design outlets by the bed than to provide extension cords. Apparently they are aware of the problem since they are providing extension cords. Aside from being a fire hazard someone could trip on the cord lying across the floor. While they are at it they should install some USB ports or a charging station for electronic devices. Now that they offer unlimited internet for fee or free more passengers will need to charge computers, Tablets, and phones.

I can understand why the cruise line wants to provide the cord. By doing so they can monitor the quality of the cord being used. It insures them that passengers aren't using a cheap dollar store extension cord that can over heat a cause a fire.

This is what I bring when I travel.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-SurgePlus-Protector-BST300/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476447042&sr=8-2&keywords=belkin+surge+protectors

Edited by Iamcruzin

We have something similar to what you linked to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0QEUCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and also bought a USB charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUTIUEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think we should be set, as long as they are not confiscated at embarkation. Also have asked for 3 extension cords. Will probably give some of those back, but figured better to be over prepared. Have heard of the staff running the extension cord up to the ceiling and over to a CPAP just so the cord is not on the floor to trip over. They didn't do that for us on either of our Alaska cruises. This cruise is through the Panama Canal, 15 nights, so wonder if they will take the time and trouble to do that for us. Less than 4 weeks to find out!!!

thanks for all the great info, you guys!!!!

Cheryl & Phil Corcoran

I travel with Belkin 3-Outlet SurgePlus Mini. I have not had any problems yet.

Again, I stress that using a surge protector onboard a ship is just like heart disease, it is a silent killer, that can strike at any time, without any warning. Your Belkin may have worked fine in the past, but the life of the surge protector circuit may have been shortened by reverse voltages, and it may work fine on the next cruise, right up until something at the other end of the ship goes to ground and sends a jolt of low voltage reverse power into the surge protector and it fails and goes into thermal runaway, and catches the cute little Belkin unit on fire.

By all means use the Belkin unit when travelling on land, but do not use it on a ship.

We have something similar to what you linked to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0QEUCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks for all the great info, you guys!!!!

Cheryl & Phil Corcoran

Please do not use the item linked above, as it is a surge protector, and is what has caused all the hullaballoo over power strips and extension cords. I don't know if it has been posted on this thread or not, but here is the USCG Safety Notice regarding surge protectors, which started all this prohibition of cords and things:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1r9Tu5trPAhUIPD4KHelvCGgQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Ftvncoe%2FDocuments%2Fsafetyalerts%2FSurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEPXVHLCc4iP8x_ha6tGKkxy6aCQw&bvm=bv.135974163,bs.2,d.dmo

I can't stress this strongly enough, do not use a surge protector. I have 40 years at sea as an engineer, and I also have fought shipboard fires, and regularly teach fire prevention to crew, and not using surge protectors is item #1.

Keep in mind that even with all the computers onboard a cruise ship, even the electronics for navigation on the bridge, and the systems that keep the engines running and the lights on in the engine room, there are no surge protectors in use, not one, because they are not required, even the expensive ones designed for shipboard use.

The biggest issue for us is that with two CPAPS we use up all the open US outlets available, which means we can't charge our phones/devices overnight. (The steward did suggest that we could unplug the TV and use that outlet at night, but we didn't do that). It ended up being OK - we just found time to charge them when we weren't sleeping.

We are European, so only have one socket assigned for our stuff to charge. BUT.... I purchased an US charger for my Samsung phone -which I can also use for my HD's phone and my kindle. A US/EU converter takes the third socket. Problem solved. If you can get your hands on a EU/US converter you're set to use the EU socket. :)