Priests will still be on HAL ships

Kooolmomma

I am not making a value judgement about clergy versus invited speakers .

A Catholic priest is onboard for the benefit of the Filipino crew - HAL had mostly Filipino crew but lately has hired some people from Indonesia.

The fact that the priest conducts public service is for those non-Catholics two or so who want to gather in His name. I suppose the priest could restrict participation only to the Filipino crew.

A Catholic priest is onboard for the benefit of the Filipino crew - HAL had mostly Filipino crew but lately has hired some people from Indonesia.

The fact that the priest conducts public service is for those non-Catholics two or so who want to gather in His name. I suppose the priest could restrict participation only to the Filipino crew.

This makes sense to me, as Catholics have an "obligation" to attend Mass each week and only a Priest can conduct the Mass. With alot of Filipino crew, this would be a major benefit to them, especially given their work schedules. Of course, this is also a benefit to the passengers as well.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, so I'm sailing HAL for the first time and one of the reasons is that there is Mass on board. I hope someone can share if they still have Mass on the 7-night Caribbean cruises. I don't know if that's consider a "shorter" cruise? Thanks in advance.

Just got the official confirmation that Catholic priests will still be onboard HAL ships. I was concerned about this, so I wrote to the source of placing priests onboard--the Apostleship of the Seas. Here is the text from the secretary general.

Nice to know! Thanks for the heads up.

I had not known about this, but think it's great and will look forward to it on my first HAL cruise in May (Orthodox). It may influence my choice of HAL in the future.

This makes more sense to me than (for example) the Celebrity cruise where I met a caligraphy expert who was given a free cabin in exchange for conducting two talks. And if other religions were represented, I would be intrigued by an opportunity to attend introductions to them too, particularly on sea days when this could appeal to more people more than a slot machine or drink somewhere.

Does anyone know the Catholic Mass times? So happy to learn Hal has priests on board!

The normal schedule is 8:00 AM on sea days, 5:00 PM on port days and Saturday Vigil. Check your daily program for time, and for location, as it is subject to change (possibly based on attendance projections).

There are times the ship has a late arrival in port, so the Mass will is scheduled for 8:00 AM that day.

It's very reassuring to see so many HAL cruisers voicing their support and gratitude for the Cruise Ship Priest program. To insure that HAL and Apostleship of the Seas USA continue the program, here is some advice from 2 earlier Posts that bears repeating:

... the Apostleship of the Seas. Here is the text from the secretary general.

Mary Lou,

Thank you for your inquiry about the changes onboard Holland America regarding Clergy.

While it is true that Holland America Line will be limiting Protestant and Jewish Clergy to certain holy days in the year 2017, the Catholic Priests will still be onboard all sailings.

However, it is important to note that the best way to ensure that the company continues to have priests onboard, is to let them know how important this service is to you and your family and friends onboard.

Please do let them know how important this is to you and let them know that you choose to travel with HAL because they have priests onboard.

If you should wish to speak further, please feel free to phone me, or send your phone number and I'll give you a call.

All the best!

Doreen

Doreen M. Badeaux

Secretary General

Apostleship of the Sea of the United States of America

1500 Jefferson Drive

Port Arthur, TX 77642-0646

phone: 409-985-4545

fax: 409-985-5945

... I suggest that CCers (who are grateful for AOS providing the cruises ship priests) show their gratitude by making regular financial contributions to AOS...

Smooth sailing +++

Agreed. As such I wrote to express my gratitude yesterday. Thanks for sharing this letter earlier and sharing it again.

It's very reassuring to see so many HAL cruisers voicing their support and gratitude for the Cruise Ship Priest program. To insure that HAL and Apostleship of the Seas USA continue the program, here is some advice from 2 earlier Posts that bears repeating:

Smooth sailing +++

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it would be nice to learn some other topics like that, calligraphy sounds especially interesting for a sea day!

I had not known about this, but think it's great and will look forward to it on my first HAL cruise in May (Orthodox). It may influence my choice of HAL in the future.

.....I would be intrigued by an opportunity to attend introductions to them too, particularly on sea days when this could appeal to more people more than a slot machine or drink somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not conventionally religious at all. Raised Protestant, but I have to admit, I really LIKE knowing that there's a Catholic priest on board. Yes, it would be a more perfect world (if expensive) if more denominations/religions were included, but in my world - silly me! - connecting with God works no matter who's doing the talking. Perhaps it's because I'm not locked into ONE way of looking at things. If I felt the need to discuss my spiritual issues on a cruise, I'd be happy to find a priest, minister, rabbi, Buddhist monk, .... whatever. God is God.

Kooolmama, thank you for this timely thread. My friend who is sailing with me on the NA in three weeks is a first-time cruiser and also a devout Catholic. We had already reserved the cruise when she realized that we would be cruising over the Easter holiday. I assured her there usually would be a priest onboard, but if not, we would be in port on Easter Sunday and we would find a Catholic mass for her on that day. I've copied your post and e-mailed it to her. I am sure it will be very reassuring to her.

Not conventionally religious at all. Raised Protestant, but I have to admit, I really LIKE knowing that there's a Catholic priest on board. Yes, it would be a more perfect world (if expensive) if more denominations/religions were included, but in my world - silly me! - connecting with God works no matter who's doing the talking. Perhaps it's because I'm not locked into ONE way of looking at things. If I felt the need to discuss my spiritual issues on a cruise, I'd be happy to find a priest, minister, rabbi, Buddhist monk, .... whatever. God is God.

Was born and raised a Catholic but does not actively practice it now. I share your thinking.

"Good Afternoon Mr. ...........,

Thank you for your note. You are correct about the changes onboard the Holland America Line ships, in regard to the Protestant Ministers and Rabbis onboard.

We are sorry to see this change as we value the presence of these Clergy men and women, but have noted it and are working on a notice to go out to all of our Cruise Ship Priests.

On other cruise lines, they know that they will be expected to provide Interfaith or Ecumenical Services, but generally have not had to do so regularly on the HAL ships. We will be asking them to be especially mindful of this, so that all those wishing to access Religious Services onboard, will have access to positive, meaningful Services.

I sincerely appreciate your kindness in making this request.

Please let me know if I may assist you in any way!

Doreen"

I am cautiously optimistic about this response. It could actually be a positive change for some of the shorter HAL cruises where there has been a void.

Roy

Roy:

I always assume I will be doing the service unless there is a minister who prefers to do the service.

Himself