Babyfon on Board at the Anthem

The Royal Babies and Royal Tots program is the playgroup program, it is not the nursery. The Royal Babies and Tots Nurseries are listed separately on ships that have them.

This is what I found -

At our colorful Royal Babies & TotsSM Nursery, littlest guests (ages 6-36 months) are cared for by trained professionals while enjoying specially designed programs. Daytime and evening drop-off is offered; hourly fee of $6 in the daytime and $8 during the evening applies. Available on select ships.

That's why I advised that they call RCL because none of us seems to know exactly what the options are on Anthem. It's one of the newest ships. I'm sure it will have this ootion, but it's up to the OP to verify. Perhaps the family cruiser board is another place to ask.

a 2 yo has no business being in a specialty dining venue.

Ahh the grouchy CC 'er who scours the boards searching for keywords like "infant" and "dining" ( and probably "wearing casual to formal night..." and "gratuity") so they can add to their number of posts to show what an expert they are on cruising etiquette circa 1930's.

My daughter has cruised every year starting at 8 months and has enjoyed every dinner whether MDR, buffet or any specialty. Never a fuss, never a complaint from anyone, many conversations and compliments from fellow diners; if she even started to fuss we would have taken her out. All depends on the child and the parents awareness and common courtesy. Last I heard RCCL was a family cruise line.

To the OP, even leaving a 2 year old alone in a cabin, even for a few minutes, is NOT a good idea. Leaving the infant alone while going out for an extended dinner would be negligence, sorry. So no baby monitors!

Edited by juksing

Do you know how big this cruiseship is? Pack a small stroller and use the stroller to take your family to the Windjammer and eat there.

You may/can be arrested for child endangerment if it's found that you left your child alone in your cabin. Do you know how much trouble a 2 year old can get into?

OH, you don't have one yet, that will be next year. Please tell me you have an inside cabin. :eek:

This is what I found -

At our colorful Royal Babies & TotsSM Nursery, littlest guests (ages 6-36 months) are cared for by trained professionals while enjoying specially designed programs. Daytime and evening drop-off is offered; hourly fee of $6 in the daytime and $8 during the evening applies. Available on select ships.

That's why I advised that they call RCL because none of us seems to know exactly what the options are on Anthem. It's one of the newest ships. I'm sure it will have this ootion, but it's up to the OP to verify. Perhaps the family cruiser board is another place to ask.

That quote is just the generic blurb under the family section. As I said before, the Royal and Tot Nursery is usually listed separately, look at other ships, you will see what I am talking about. The way the cruise line presents these features causes problems on the family forum a lot because people book ships thinking there is a nursery when there is only the Royal Babies and Tots Program.

HOWEVER, I looked at some reviews, there looks like there wasn't a nursery for a while because of damage and the area not ready. I can't find specifics to the why it wasn't there. There appears that there is an area within Adventure Ocean that is now a nursery. This review talks about the confusion and this poster was going to find out what was up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324271&highlight=Anthem+nursery

There is an area on the deck plans, beside Adventure Ocean, that is not labeled. That could be the space. I see nothing labeled on the deck plans as it is on the other ships with nurseries.

I am glad you said that. I was thinking the same thing.

English is not the first language of the OP, based on one of his posts, he seems to be German. If you google babyfon, it brings you to german baby monitors. I know he is being given a hard time about leaving a child alone, I know I have a family member who was lived overseas for many years when their child was young. It was very common for people to go to the local pub next door for a pint after the kids were in bed (this was not in Germany, but another country). I am not saying I agree with it, but it was what was done. It seems the OP has sailed on a ship that had baby monitors which enabled a similar thing to be done.

[QUOdTE=reallyitsmema;51232477]The nursery is a child care area where you could leave your child to be watched in a group setting. Anthem does not have a nursery though, so your only option is in cabin babysitting which is $19 per hour.

Are you sure there is no nursery on Anthem as we used the one on Quantum for our 2 yo granddaughter. Worked well. Used when we went to see Mama Mia.

a 2 yo has no business being in a specialty dining venue.

I beg to differ. Ours was wonderful at 7 months, 11 months and almost 2. Taking our now three year old and his baby brother who will be 11 months on the day the cruise departs.

OP. Please do not leave your child in the stateroom.

IMG_0790.jpg.9d33f925c088b1471f37de643a097bd2.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg.6c6ace11f28a3e6374d7aee9d79bed25.jpg

100_1605.jpg.5c60f5085c5b757bc3b7759c51f74a6f.jpg

I'm from Europe and this whole 'they do it all the time' thing is frustrating. I don't know a single person who leaves their 2 year old unattended in a hotel room while they go to eat. Much less on a cruise ship.

On the other hand, it's very common for young European children to eat at nice restaurants and learn correct table etiquette at a very young age.

We want to go dining and the Baby is sleeping at the stateroom, and we want

to hear when the baby cries in the cabin.

The OP said they want to go dining but did not specify where. Doesn't really matter if they go to main dining, windjammer, specialty dining, or wherever - they want to monitor the baby in the cabin remotely.

Wow, a lot of over reaction here. We brought our baby monitor on two cruises already. We used it to sit in the family room and balcony of our suite and kept an eye on her while in bed. On another trip my in laws were next door in connecting balcony cabins and they kept watch a couple of nights. So lots of different reasons to have one. So don't tell the op not to have one in general. Also if a monitor was to actually work on the ship there are scenarios where you could be 30 or 40 feet from your cabin and in a public restaurant,someone else's cabin near by, etc.. I'm typically further from my daughters room when in my own house and I can't hear her unless using our baby monitor. Basically we all remotely monitor our babies every day unless you sleep with them in the same room. So let's hold off on charging this guy with child abandonment. Theoretically there could be many ways to use a baby monitor safely on a ship. Now a child that can get out of a crib/pack and play is a whole different story but non of us know the situation and I'm sure the op would get that once they get to that stage.

Edited by topnole

Baby monitors will not work in a stateroom, the materials that the ships are made of are way to dense. The signal will not penetrate thru all the steel.

You should not plan on leaving your child in the stateroom unattended at all. If your stateroom attendant discovered a child left alone security will become involved. You do have neighbors and they will hear a crying child. If they become concerned and call security again you have a issue. While this may be the norm in your country it is not the norm on a cruise ship.

Either book a babysitter thru the ship or bring the child with you. They have seats for babies (high chairs) but if your child is asleep just wheel your stroller right up to the table.

Wow, a lot of over reaction here. We brought our baby monitor on two cruises already. We used it to sit in the family room and balcony of our suite and kept an eye on her while in bed. On another trip my in laws were next door in connecting balcony cabins and they kept watch a couple of nights. So lots of different reasons to have one. So don't tell the op not to have one in general. Also if a monitor was to actually work on the ship there are scenarios where you could be 30 or 40 feet from your cabin and in a public restaurant,someone else's cabin near by, etc.. I'm typically further from my daughters room when in my own house and I can't hear her unless using our baby monitor. Basically we all remotely monitor our babies every day unless you sleep with them in the same room. So let's hold off on charging this guy with child abandonment. Theoretically there could be many ways to use a baby monitor safely on a ship. Now a child that can get out of a crib/pack and play is a whole different story but non of us know the situation and I'm sure the op would get that once they get to that stage.

Leaving your child sleeping unattended in another room of your own home or even in a connected cabin is a whole other ball game to leaving them completely alone in a cabin on a huge cruise ship while you go and eat in another part of the ship. And nobody was saying to not bring a monitor, they were saying to not leave their young child unattended in a cabin.

English is not the first language of the OP, based on one of his posts, he seems to be German. If you google babyfon, it brings you to german baby monitors. I know he is being given a hard time about leaving a child alone, I know I have a family member who was lived overseas for many years when their child was young. It was very common for people to go to the local pub next door for a pint after the kids were in bed (this was not in Germany, but another country). I am not saying I agree with it, but it was what was done. It seems the OP has sailed on a ship that had baby monitors which enabled a similar thing to be done.

Perhaps he should Google Madeleine McCann - he might reconsider leaving a child sleeping in a room unattended while going out to dinner. The thought just makes me sick. Does he have any idea how many people have access to that cabin?

Perhaps he should Google Madeleine McCann - he might reconsider leaving a child sleeping in a room unattended while going out to dinner. The thought just makes me sick. Does he have any idea how many people have access to that cabin?

I remembered when that happened, so sad.

Here are some other Global Parenting Habits That Haven't Caught On In The U.S.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2014/08/12/339825261/global-parenting-habits-that-havent-caught-on-in-the-u-s

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-restaurant-baby-idUSTRE77E62O20110815

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/14/nyregion/toddler-left-outside-restaurant-is-returned-to-her-mother.html

Thank you for the links. I wasn't advocating doing what the OP is describing and I wasn't saying it happens all the time in Europe as another poster claimed. I was just pointing out that others do things differently as your links confirm.:)

I do agree that the whole McCann case was horrible. The articles on the case often state that the families involved had left the children sleeping in the past.

Not exactly the same scenario as being on a ship and this girl was like 4 when this happened. Sad indeed but in that case a baby monitor might of helped but who knows the real story here. I couldnt imagine ever leaving a small child or baby alone in a hotel room or apartment anywhere but comparing a rental apartment in Portugal to a cabin on a closed environment like a ship is hardly comparable. And for the record we have never left our daughter unattended on a ship or anywhere else other than being in the next door cabin or balcony watching her on a monitor.

Also, a little confused. Do you have an infant AND a 2 year old...or are you saying that your infant is 2? (an infant is under 12 months and a 2 year old is a toddler).....

I read a lot of classic type books, and "infant" has been used simly for "young children" traditionally. Even the wiki definition has what you said PLUS "however, definitions may vary between birth and 1 year of age, or even between birth and 2 years of age."

And as we've worked out after the first post, the OP doesn't speak English as a first language, and use of "infant" can be different in other countries.

We want to go dining and the Baby is sleeping at the stateroom, and we want

to hear when the baby cries in the cabin.

Please do not do that. You might have been on some small ships where you can get back quickly and where the radio waves would actually transit from the dining room to the stateroom and back, but that's NOT going to be possible on Royal. Too big. And it can take way too long to get back. Once you hear baby (if you do, and you probably won't) and get back, baby might have been very very upset for 15 minutes or so. Awful. And bad for those around your room. And most people passing by aren't going to understand at all.

The cultural differences on this are too big to do it on a big mainstream US-type ship. Just like people from cultures who leave prams outside in the relative cold while parents go inside to buy a book or get a coffee, but you would not do that in the US, this might work at home but it's not going to be OK on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Please God if this isnt a joke, I pray RCI is monitoring this :eek: CRAZY STUFF HERE...YOU NEVER LEAVE a child unattended for dinner or any thing else for that matter. I am shaking inside :(

Seriously, stop being so American. Other cultures do this often. We can only come up with ONE case where it didn't work out (linked earlier) but obviously cultures still do it.

The OP shouldn't do it on Royal, and I was never comfy doing it when DS was little, but that doesn't mean our American rules should govern everyone no matter where they are.

If you actually read what the OP said, he's not doing it to be on the balcony. He wants to go to the dining room. There aren't many rooms within 40 feet of the MDR.

And it's a 2 year old. If a 2 year old can't get out of a crib or pack & play, I'm getting worried. My husband could get totally out of his crib at 9 months old, LOL. And then he hid. That was fun for his mom the first time. (every so often when she's seriously annoying me and I don't want to be annoyed, I remember that story and find some empathy for her) 9 months is crazy. But I HOPE kids can get out of a crib by 2 years old!

Why not bring a nanny or perhaps leave the baby at home with a relative or friend....thought being a parent was a 24/7 job ....if you can't do the job or want time off then find someone to help you.....if you decide to leave the baby in the cabin sleeping hopefully you will get caught doing so and will get booted off the ship, it's not the first time this has happened.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lol,a lot of experts on here that probably have done worse things with their own children (or DONT have children at all)but are sitting high and mighty telling other parents whats right and wrong.This happens all the time.Wether you like it or not and everyone lives in the end.If you put a two yr old in a high enough pack and play they are going nowhere...Wow!Theres a lot worse things happening in the world then what this OP is looking to do and prolly does all the time..Loosen up just a little bit.Cruise critic police..Enjoy your cruise the way you see fit O.P.

Edited by rtazz17