Is it me or do most all the MDR desserts suck?

wizdiz

Also can anyone tell me why you add sugar to your eggs at breakfast time I hate that eggs should be eggs, and no it was not a one off you get it every time you visit the states.

Born and bred American with 28 cruises under my belt on various American oriented lines and I have NEVER seen anyone ever put sugar on eggs. Personally the only two things I add sugar to food wise at breakfast time is cream of wheat or French toast instead of syrup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I've never heard of sugar on eggs either, maybe a regional thing? It's sure not done where I live (Midwest).

Don't get into the sugar or salt on tomatoes or pop/coke/soda debate!

By the way, it's pop! And I salt tomatoes and melons.

I've never heard of sugar on eggs either, maybe a regional thing? It's sure not done where I live (Midwest).

Don't get into the sugar or salt on tomatoes or pop/coke/soda debate!

By the way, it's pop! And I salt tomatoes and melons.

I've lived in every region of the country, sometimes twice, and have never seen anyone put sugar on eggs. Must have been someone, someplace, sometime who did this, lol.

Born and bred American with 28 cruises under my belt on various American oriented lines and I have NEVER seen anyone ever put sugar on eggs. Personally the only two things I add sugar to food wise at breakfast time is cream of wheat or French toast instead of syrup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I'm also American born and bred with 35 cruises under my belt and I have never seen anyone put sugar on eggs! Maybe he was mistaking some oatmeal or grits for eggs. I don't care for oatmeal or grits but it would certainly be reasonable to put sugar in them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

I actually enjoy some of the desserts on NCL-wish I didn't. I'd save myself a bunch of calories. I like the Strawberry Napoleon, Key Lime Pie, Pecan Pie, Cheesecake,(although I order it with the strawberry sauce, not the pineapple Mango Souffle, Pistachio Creme Brûlée and the Red Velvet Cake. Also the blueberry merengue tarts and lemon meringue pies found occasionally in the buffet. I can't do the chocolate volcano, (but I have ordered it without the chocolate volcano part)-too sweet and don't eat the cookies -way too sweet. I love everything apple, but not on the cruise ship, not enough apple-too much gelatine and cinnamon. Over here in Aus, anything apple as in pies, slices etc are full of apple. (Unless it's a cheap skate bakery). And of course ice cream. I love ice-cream in any shape or form. I even order most desserts on the ship with ice-cream. Desserts over here are usually served with a choice of cream or ice-cream. I always default to the ice cream.

I have to admit the best desserts on any cruise ship I've ever sailed on was the PO Ventura marketed to the British. Their desserts, pastries were amazing and I definitely ate way too many, but the best desserts I've ever had travelling on land have to be the patisseries in Paris, but I do prefer pastries to cake texture. Swiss bakeries are pretty good also and the Sfogliatelles in Italy are really delicious too! Imagine my disappointment when I went to Carlos bakery in NY to buy a lobster tail that looked just like the Italian Sfogliatelles only to find they weren't the real deal-they were stuffed with some sickly super sweet cream!

Probably my favourite dessert/cake of all time is a french vanilla slice or a millefeuille. Luckily -(or unlucky if you count calories) my local bakery mekes a great French vanilla slice, although the pastry isn't as good as the pastry they makes in Paris. ! I can't get that on the cruise ship! (JMO - we all have different tastes. It must be hard trying to cater to the masses from different cultures with different likes and dislikes.)

Edited by karoo

I have to admit the best desserts on any cruise ship I've ever sailed on was the PO Ventura marketed to the British. Their desserts, pastries were amazing and I definitely ate way too many, but the best desserts I've ever had travelling on land have to be the patisseries in Paris, but I do prefer pastries to cake texture. Swiss bakeries are pretty good also and the Sfogliatelles in Italy are really delicious too! Imagine my disappointment when I went to Carlos bakery in NY to buy a lobster tail that looked just like the Italian Sfogliatelles only to find they weren't the real deal-they were stuffed with some sickly super sweet cream!

Lobster tails are the real deal, they are lobster tails. Sfogliatelle is a different pastry. Sorry you were confused. Come to Boston, we have great versions of both, and delicious ricotta filled cannoli too!

I never got to try the Carlo's products on the ships but I did not hear good things about those either.

Edited by Zippeedee

How could I forget Cannolis in Sicily. Yes very yummy as well!

I've been to lots of cities/places in the US, but never quite made it to Boston. I've heard it's beautiful. It was my son & DILs favorite place when they travelled to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by karoo