Is it me or do most all the MDR desserts suck?

wizdiz

Last cruise my DD said she never had one good slice of cheesecake all week and that was with 4 specialty meals. I miss the soufflés. Also would love something different in their pastry basket at breakfast. It has not changed in years.

It does not make sense to me that the bread and breakfast pastry bakers make such delicious cinnamon buns, pretzel rolls, croissants, etc but no one can make a slice of pie or cake that has any flavor. Particularly disappointing were a sweet potato pie and key lime pie. Both tasted like raw dough and plain gelatin. I don't think I finished any buffet dessert except the crepes and cookies.

I don't find myself very picky. I think the food in the MDR is very good. To the point I won't even bother upgrading to the specialty restaurants anymore. But I never enjoy the desserts. I'm to the point I don't even order them. That's the only part of the specialty restaurants I like are their desserts. Is it just me?

They did not force you to eat them did they????????

I don't know if they Qualify as desserts But.

I do like a chilled fruit soup @ lunch.

Soft-serve Ice cream

Made to order Crapes' after dinner.

I always like a Crape after dinner!! But I far prefer the Crepe before the Crape

no is not just you. I was one of those that was not unhappy when the chocolate buffet went away because i found the chocolate to be mediocre and to me everything tasted the same. In the MDR is either the souffles or the same chocolate cake with raspberry or the lava cakes. I usually just pick ice cream if i feel like having something sweet. :cool:. I think the food in the MDR has improved over the years, i wish they would do the same with desserts.

Edited by spanishguy1970

I don't think you are alone. Personally I haven't really found much in the way of deserts on any cruiseline that I thought were very good. Though I do like just basic cakes, etc. I could eat just a good slice of lemon cake and be very happy. Can't see to find anything basic - they all try to be so super fancy.

I don't want bread puddings and chocolate melting cakes. Last desert I had that was any good was a grand marnier souffle on Princess. I will quite often skip desert or just end up taking some ice cream.

totally agree. I do find there is a pound cake with strawberries at O'sheehans which is very good, not too fancy and it actually taste good. We once ordered a fancy pastry from Carlos bakery because we thought that it would be upscale and delightful well it was not, It was really bad. :(

I find desserts on most cruise ships kind of subpar, with a few exceptions. They are too much like desserts you buy in the frozen department at a store. Probably with good reason.

I think this is pretty close to the truth. Whether they are actually made on board or not, the problem with most of them is the same as in many cafes/restaurants, and grocery bakeries, in North America- they don't use real ingredients any more. No butter, cream, whipping cream, chocolate etc. No wonder they are tasteless! Ditto for many croissants, sweet rolls, etc. They look good, they last a long time, but they taste like nothing. If I'm having a treat, I want the calories to be worth it!:rolleyes:

I don't know if they Qualify as desserts But.

I do like a chilled fruit soup @ lunch.

Soft-serve Ice cream

Made to order Crapes' after dinner.

Hi. Sailing Norwegian for the first time in January. Please please tell me more about these Crapes. I love dessert. Sad now. Luckily I also love ice cream.

Hi. Sailing Norwegian for the first time in January. Please please tell me more about these Crapes. I love dessert. Sad now. Luckily I also love ice cream.

There's nutella, bananas, other fruit etc. I ususally got a plain one, and went and filled it with the hard vanilla ice cream and put chocolate sauce over the top.
The response to my earlier question from Sauer-kraut should answer your question about the crepes. They are though only available at the buffet during the dinner hours of 530 on.

I think this is pretty close to the truth. Whether they are actually made on board or not, the problem with most of them is the same as in many cafes/restaurants, and grocery bakeries, in North America- they don't use real ingredients any more. No butter, cream, whipping cream, chocolate etc. No wonder they are tasteless! Ditto for many croissants, sweet rolls, etc. They look good, they last a long time, but they taste like nothing. If I'm having a treat, I want the calories to be worth it!:rolleyes:

Me too. It's just not the same as home made, in most cases. Case in point; our church has home made donuts once a month--the youth group starts baking at about 2 AM, with help of course. No other donuts bought in any shop can compare--they are just tasteless compared to the real thing.

I don't find myself very picky. I think the food in the MDR is very good. To the point I won't even bother upgrading to the specialty restaurants anymore. But I never enjoy the desserts. I'm to the point I don't even order them. That's the only part of the specialty restaurants I like are their desserts. Is it just me?

We had a great cruise last month to Alaska on the Sun. The food was great, a big improvement over our last cruise on NCL.

Also, NCL's desserts used to be, well, nothing to get excited about.

That has changed, we enjoyed some great desserts on the Sun.

I know the subject is MDR desserts but I have to add how gross the green tea cake is at Tepanaki.

I agree! We hated that green tea cake. Also not a main dining room dessert but worthy of mention is the brownie cheesecake at O'Sheehan's the 24 hour restaurant. I loved it!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

I agree they are not good and the buffet desserts are worse.

They look pretty but don't taste like anything. I do wonder though if it's because as an American I am used to more sugar in the dessert? I'd be interested to hear what non-Americans think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My sentiments, exactly.

I agree they are not good and the buffet desserts are worse.

They look pretty but don't taste like anything. I do wonder though if it's because as an American I am used to more sugar in the dessert? I'd be interested to hear what non-Americans think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this is the real reason most American's find the desserts so tasteless. American's are not used to lower sugar baked goods like you find nearly everywhere else in the world. We associate taste with sugar. We have a little Croatian bakery near our house and their cakes are insanely good but they aren't going to cut it for those with a sweet tooth.