Is it me or do most all the MDR desserts suck?

wizdiz

I don't find myself very picky. I think the food in the MDR is very good. To the point I won't even bother upgrading to the specialty restaurants anymore. But I never enjoy the desserts. I'm to the point I don't even order them. That's the only part of the specialty restaurants I like are their desserts. Is it just me?

I don't think you are alone. Personally I haven't really found much in the way of deserts on any cruiseline that I thought were very good. Though I do like just basic cakes, etc. I could eat just a good slice of lemon cake and be very happy. Can't see to find anything basic - they all try to be so super fancy.

I don't want bread puddings and chocolate melting cakes. Last desert I had that was any good was a grand marnier souffle on Princess. I will quite often skip desert or just end up taking some ice cream.

NCL isn't renown for their desserts. I usually just go for sherbet or ice cream and leave it at that.

This^^ Some of the hard ice creams are pretty good. I'm not an ice cream connoisseur, though.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

RCI used to have fantastic, beautifully plated desserts....but like everything else, it's gotten worse over time. Our last cruise, the choices were 90% some sort of custard or pudding based dessert....you could get cookies in the WJ, but I consider a cookie a "snack"...not so much a dessert!

So true! Desserts are not that great. My first NCL cruise I forgot to put the dietary needs before I sailed so everything on the dessert menu has dairy. yikes! The next NCL cruise I had a diary free request put in ahead of time and i was provided with coconut/almond milk dairy free ice cream....that's the creativity of the pastry chefs??? I know there's so much food on the cruise, but you are right...the desserts are just not that indulgent.

How about the other cruise lines? Anyone experience anything 'to die for' out there? I love Carnivals molten lava chocolate cake (and they make it dairy free also) :)

I agree they are not good and the buffet desserts are worse.

They look pretty but don't taste like anything. I do wonder though if it's because as an American I am used to more sugar in the dessert? I'd be interested to hear what non-Americans think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, let me put it this way, years ago - NCL used to offer a much wider variety of choices for dessert, in the MDR and in specialty ... I am sure many of you never heard of the Cooking Light Menu options. For the last 2 to 3 years, IMO, it's okay as long as you like chocolate.

Alas, nobody starved or go hungry, NCL could be serving just jello or ice cream alone, LOL - unless you opt for the upcharge. Ooops - better not give them bean counters more ideas. :D

I really miss that chocolate mousse they used to serve every lunch. It was so much better than any of the mousse or custard desserts they have served recently. I also really miss the chilled fruit soups. They would often be listed as apps, but I would order for dessert.

With to two most recent new menus, the desserts got worse and, then, worse.

We often skip and go up to the buffet later in the evening for soft-serve and a cookie. So it works out. :)

How about the other cruise lines? Anyone experience anything 'to die for' out there? I love Carnivals molten lava chocolate cake (and they make it dairy free also) :)

Carnival has their Bitter n Blanc as well as a Grand Marnier soufflé that are both delicious

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

On my cruise in Jan they had some excellent mdr desserts- the white chocolate and red velvet mousse comes to mind! Yum. I also had a few bad ones but shrugged it off and found something elsewhere. The worst dessert was the buffet cheesecake- just eww.

Re the above question on Americans liking more sugar in their desserts, I'm from the UK so I don't know if this makes a difference. I found all the desserts on the ship sweet enough!

Only done two NCL cruises but thought that the desserts in the buffet and mdr were so-so, I think most desserts used gelatin or shortening in them that gave them a weird taste. I found the same to be true for Disney Cruise Line.

My go to dessert was always the strawberry shortcake in O'Sheehans. Loved that.

So true! Desserts are not that great. My first NCL cruise I forgot to put the dietary needs before I sailed so everything on the dessert menu has dairy. yikes! The next NCL cruise I had a diary free request put in ahead of time and i was provided with coconut/almond milk dairy free ice cream....that's the creativity of the pastry chefs??? I know there's so much food on the cruise, but you are right...the desserts are just not that indulgent.

Not sure why but I really liked the Mickey Mouse ice cream bars on Disney. Nothing fancy but they were just so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think most cruise line desserts are just ok with a few exceptions (disney has a sticky toffee pudding that is WOW! But I've found the buffer desserts to be pretty but tasteless.

However, we cruised Princess last year and the desserts everywhere were divine!!! They have a pastry shop in the buffet and we would cruise through at all hours for a little taste of something!!!