Is a Disney park do able?

AllisonL306

Hi! This will be our first cruise. Planning on sailing Anthem of the seas next October. One of the stops is in Port Canaveral. We will be docked 12-9:30. Magic kingdom park is about an hour away. Do you think a visit to MK is doable with this time frame? Also, does RC provide a shuttle to the Disney parks? As a first time cruiser I'm a little unaware on what to expect as far as how long it will take getting on and off the ship. Thanks!

Is it doable? You need to have a lot in your favor, and know how to maximize the time you have.

We were at Port Canaveral for a cruise stop back in 2010 on the Pride. We DID go to the Magic Kingdom, and had a wonderful time. We did a lot...but had already been to Disney a few times so needed little in the way of maps or directions to know what to do and where to go. We used private transportation, again to maximize our time (no waiting for a group or needing to rent a car)...here is the description of our day:

Just thought I'd update folks regarding our day at Disney...

The Pride docked on-time and passengers were let off right around 7:30am; we were off by 7:40am. Our limo driver was waiting right there at the exit for us.

We arrived at the Ticket and Transportation Center taxi stand at 8:50am and had a short monorail ride to the gate.

The park opened that morning at 9am, so we were in the gates less than 20 minutes after rope drop.

We had plenty of time to do the following:

Space Mountain

Splash Mountain

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin

TTA Peoplemover

Carousel of Progress

Mickey's Philharmagic 3D Show

Winnie the Pooh Ride

Haunted Mansion

Lunch at Cosmic Ray's

Shopping along Main Street

Snacks at the Dole Whip stand

Saw the afternoon parade

We left the park at 3:50pm to get back to the taxi stand for our 4pm pickup...so we spent seven hours in the park. I think we did a LOT for just 7 hours.

Limo driver was right on time, and we arrived back at the ship at 5:15pm with plenty of time to spare before our 6:30 all-aboard and 7pm sail away.

I know we never would have had that much time if we'd rented a car.

Did we do everything? No...not by a longshot. But we felt it was well-worth the effort for what we accomplished.

I think it worked for us because our port time had us arriving very early. We got there right at park opening, BEFORE the crowds had grown. If you don't get there until after 12, the park will already be full of people and lines will be longer. We had more time in port than you will (11 hours to your 9.5)...those two hours are HUGE when you consider the amount of transportation time it takes to get from the port to Disney.

I think trying to go to the parks within your port time would not be worth it.

We are Disney passholders so well aware of what you can and more importantly CAN'T get done in that amount of time. Honestly, IF everything goes like clockwork and no glitches in transportation or God forbid traffic (I-4 can be a nightmare!), with the time you are docked at Port Canaveral, you are looking at maybe getting 6 hours in the park. You'll feel rushed to get attractions done. And there is no way to get through enough in that time to warrant the cost of admission, etc. IMHO. If you were docked in Port Canaveral for a few more hours, I might have a different opinion.

Now...that being said...I also realize that not many get the luxury of going to Disney World. So...if this is the only opportunity you have to ever go, then 6 hours is better than nothing. But if you could arrange a trip another time, then I still think that's the better option.

Absolutely do it! We did on Anthem on December 22, 15. Buy your excursion early. Many people were disappointed it sold out. There were at least 8 busses for Disney. We had a great time and of course the 3 year old did too. Fast pass helped. But I just chose the must do's and we got it all done. For prime season it was not the nightmare we thought it would be. We had great traffic, the monorail was being maintenanced so running slowly. We bought our Disney tickets in advance to chose our fast passes. We got to Disney around 8:30. Left around 6:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely do it! We did on Anthem on December 22, 15. Buy your excursion early. Many people were disappointed it sold out. There were at least 8 busses for Disney. We had a great time and of course the 3 year old did too. Fast pass helped. But I just chose the must do's and we got it all done. For prime season it was not the nightmare we thought it would be. We had great traffic, the monorail was being maintenanced so running slowly. We bought our Disney tickets in advance to chose our fast passes. We got to Disney around 8:30. Left around 6:30.

So you had 10 hours of park time. According to the OP, they're only going to be docked for 9 1/2 hours. Assuming an hour transportation each way (if everything goes well), that leaves them 7 1/2 hours of park time (at most), AND they would be getting to the park in the afternoon, when the park is the most crowded?

I don't think it's worth $100pp.

Doable? Yes. Enjoyable? Probably not. Figure it will take an hour to get there, so that is 1:30 PM (adding in the fact that the arrival time is not ever exact), That gives you 7 hours at whatever park you go to, since you will need to leave by 8 PM.

In 7 hours, you can ride a lot if you are in a slow season, which October usually is, but I would do a couple of things:

1. Buy the park tickets a month or so in advance

2. Make Fastpass reservations for the rides you really want to go on

3. Treat the visit to the park like a military operation. Determine in advance the rides and attractions you really want to go on.

4. Avoid the shows. They are a huge time sink, and with only 7 hours, an hour show is time that is not worth wasting.

5. During the 3 PM parade, ride a popular ride away from the parade route.

So you had 10 hours of park time. According to the OP, they're only going to be docked for 9 1/2 hours. Assuming an hour transportation each way (if everything goes well), that leaves them 7 1/2 hours of park time (at most), AND they would be getting to the park in the afternoon, when the park is the most crowded?

I don't think it's worth $100pp.

Yes, big difference between arriving at 8:39 than 1:30. The first 2 hours the parks are open are the best, with the smallest lines. They just build up all day.

I just wouldn't do it. It is doable but it wouldn't be enjoyable to be rushed and yes the crowds in October have grown the last few years. It is not a "down" time anymore. We were there last October. The three other parks were tolerable but MK was crowded the two days we were there.

I think you should treat it as a 'taster'. I've been there 4 times (twice for a conference and twice for a vacation). One of the times I was there for a conference, a colleague and I did 3 parks in 1.5 days (the weekend) before the conference. (we were exhausted but being from Australia we couldn't pass up the opportunity!)

I would say go for it (on a ship excursion) not expecting to see or do everything but to get a taste so you can decide whether a future vacation would suit your family. :)

Then if you decide to go again as a family you will be more experienced and aware of how to get best value for money :)

Edited by lucymorgan

I would not, for all of the reasons previously listed. It's just not worth the $100 plus price tag.

Also, you will arrive back on the ship after 9:00 PM tired and hungry and the restaurants will be closed. Dinner will be pizza, café promenade, or room service.

Just a thought, have you been to the Kennedy Space Center? It's close to Port Canaveral. We have been there a few times and always enjoy our time there. It would be a good alternative to Disney.

I agree with this. We had a GREAT time there.

Is it doable? You need to have a lot in your favor, and know how to maximize the time you have.

We were at Port Canaveral for a cruise stop back in 2010 on the Pride. We DID go to the Magic Kingdom, and had a wonderful time. We did a lot...but had already been to Disney a few times so needed little in the way of maps or directions to know what to do and where to go. We used private transportation, again to maximize our time (no waiting for a group or needing to rent a car)...here is the description of our day:

I think it worked for us because our port time had us arriving very early. We got there right at park opening, BEFORE the crowds had grown. If you don't get there until after 12, the park will already be full of people and lines will be longer. We had more time in port than you will (11 hours to your 9.5)...those two hours are HUGE when you consider the amount of transportation time it takes to get from the port to Disney.

I think trying to go to the parks within your port time would not be worth it.

Go to Disney with a ship excursion then you will be back before the ship leaves. Just understand that depending how crowded DW is you may not see everything you planned for. Hint use the timed tickets for attractions so you do not have to wait in line; worth the price

I did this twice while on the Enchantment when it was out of Baltimore and called on Port Canaveral from 10a-10p. You really only get 5-6 hours max at the park, so if that timeline is OK, you could consider the excursion. If not, maybe wait for a time you have longer to spend there.

Our stops were mid week at an off time for Disney so we got to do a lot in the 6 or so hours we had due to minimal lines. Not sure what your port hours will be so how much time you will for sure have. It takes an hour - hour and a half each way to get there and back.

Go to Disney with a ship excursion then you will be back before the ship leaves. Just understand that depending how crowded DW is you may not see everything you planned for. Hint use the timed tickets for attractions so you do not have to wait in line; worth the price

We still feel using the private transport was the better option. Our limo was waiting at the curb when we got off the ship while the cruise line excursion buses probably didn't head out until at least 45 minutes after we did.

What we DID do was make sure we left to head back to the ship 30 minutes before the ship's excursion was set to return. There is only one road back to Port Canaveral from Disney, and making sure we were ahead of the cruise line buses was basically insurance that we'd make it back before the ship left...because we would arrive back to the port before the buses.

You do NOT have time to make the ticket price worth it....save Disney for a land vacation! The Magic Kingdom takes 2 days, easy....

While it's doable, you will NOT get your money's worth!

Agree completely with this comment. It easily takes 2 days to enjoy it...even then you will be pushed to do everything

When we did Anthem we got a rental car and did a Disney water park (Typhoon Lagoon). We had a great time and avoided much of the crowds.

Our car had to be returned by 6pm, so we left the park at 4pm. We had arrived at the water park when it opened at 10am. Are you sure the ship doesn't arrive until 12pm? That seems odd to me.

On our first cruise we flew in a few days early to leave from PC. Spent over $500 to get in and lunch at DW. After just 5 hours they were begging to leave. The next day at Coco Beach I spent $15 on two rental boogie boards and the kids had a blast all day. Looks like I'm off the hook for the big amusement parks now. [emoji23]