Crown Princess

iancal

Just Crown yesterday for a Feb 1 South America cruise and noticed a note on the Princess site regarding a change in the cabin configuration in April /17.

I would assume that this implies that Crown is going into dry dock prior to that.

Has anyone been on Crown lately? Is the ship in good condition? We did not do the research that we typically do. The right price, the right date came across our screen so we booked it on a whim.

This is on our bucket list. Had it booked two years ago but took a move over offer and gave up our cabin.

Just Crown yesterday for a Feb 1 South America cruise and noticed a note on the Princess site regarding a change in the cabin configuration in April /17.

I would assume that this implies that Crown is going into dry dock prior to that.

Has anyone been on Crown lately? Is the ship in good condition? We did not do the research that we typically do. The right price, the right date came across our screen so we booked it on a whim.

This is on our bucket list. Had it booked two years ago but took a move over offer and gave up our cabin.

No physical changes and no drydock at that time. That date is the rollout of Club Class on the Crown and the category of those mini-suites are changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will change the highest category (MA) of Mini Suite to Club class (M1).

The two or three highest (BA ,BB,BC) are being rename as Deluxe Balcony (B1,B2,B3).

We've cruised on the Crown three times in the last 20 months (most recently, in April), and I give it high marks for everything except for the service level in the Crown Grill (zero for three). I would not hesitate to cruise on her, again.

As an aside my alltime favorite cruise experience was along the western coast of South America, through the Panama Canal and through the Caribbean. My current aspirational cruise is around the southern tip.

Thanks very much. We booked. We are sticking. The cruise is Feb. 1. We usually book inside the cancellation window so when a cruise is booked it is non refundable cast in stone. However this time we had to do our reward air early, and had wrapped some land travel around this so it too is now a done deal.

Crown is in good shape.

Just got off the Crown. She is in acceptable shape. The public areas were fine. The chairs in the Horizon Court were always sticky and mismatched at the tables. We had a minisuite with a lot of rust on the balcony that looks like only a dry dock will fix. The plastic mat on the balcony deck was very stained as was the deck furniture. The soft goods were worn. The sofa and the curtains were particularly bad and in need of replacement, quite shabby, actually.

Drydock for Crown is scheduled in April 2017. They are going to change mattresses, put in a whatever that stupid new Cafe with the fancy food is and a few other changes, paint, varnish, Engine maintenance which is required 2X every 6 years.

Edited by WupperAV

Drydock for Crown is scheduled in April 2017. They are going to change mattresses, put in a whatever that stupid new Cafe with the fancy food is and a few other changes, paint, varnish, Engine maintenance which is required 2X every 6 years.

What stupid cafe?

Just got off the Crown. She is in acceptable shape. The public areas were fine. The chairs in the Horizon Court were always sticky and mismatched at the tables. We had a minisuite with a lot of rust on the balcony that looks like only a dry dock will fix. The plastic mat on the balcony deck was very stained as was the deck furniture. The soft goods were worn. The sofa and the curtains were particularly bad and in need of replacement, quite shabby, actually.

Agree. We were also on the cruise and the ship is ok. Ship did seem understaffed in the buffet and traditional dining rooms. Tables in buffet were not cleared and it was hard to find someone to get them cleaned. When we did find someone they were not happy and grumbled that they were understaffed. Same in Traditional Dining. It took at least 2 hours to get out each night. Servers had too many passengers to take care of and said the kitchen was slow in getting the dishes out for early seating.

Is That Your Final Answer?? :) :)

Tony

They may be thinking of Curtis Stone's SHARE; but I have heard any more of those conversions have been put on hold. I don't think the concept went over as well as expected.

Agree. We were also on the cruise and the ship is ok. Ship did seem understaffed in the buffet and traditional dining rooms. Tables in buffet were not cleared and it was hard to find someone to get them cleaned. When we did find someone they were not happy and grumbled that they were understaffed. Same in Traditional Dining. It took at least 2 hours to get out each night. Servers had too many passengers to take care of and said the kitchen was slow in getting the dishes out for early seating.

We got off the Crown on October 5th and our Traditional Dining Room experience was the same. We were struggling to get out of there by 7:30 every night. Our experience in the Horizon/Caribe was just the opposite. Tables were cleared quickly and the staff was very attentive. The ship needs a facelift but is still in good shape (with the possible exception of our cabin bathroom). I was startled to hear rushing water in our bathroom at 12:15 AM and found water running out of the bottom of the toilet. Seems the "valve" that controls water flow failed and and was quickly filling up the bathroom floor. The staff responded very quickly and got it stopped before it overflowed into the room. Our poor neighbors had to put up with shop vacs running at 12:30 AM.

We were going to book 2 months of back to back cruises in South America this winter and reading these comments we are so glad we did not do so.

Although what put us off - apart from the heavy taxes and port dues etc - was the terrible Noro record which the Crown holds.

Never had Noro or other gastric problems on a ship yet and don't want to start now.

What is it about Crown which has brought this about?

We were going to book 2 months of back to back cruises in South America this winter and reading these comments we are so glad we did not do so.

Although what put us off - apart from the heavy taxes and port dues etc - was the terrible Noro record which the Crown holds.

Never had Noro or other gastric problems on a ship yet and don't want to start now.

What is it about Crown which has brought this about?

It's been a long time since Crown had Noro.

Sure wish I knew what we got on our Sept. 25 Crown Cruise!! Diarrhea and stomach cramps seven days into the cruise, which a week later is starting to clear up! The Customer Service desk didn't seem to care though!! Despite their indifference, we stayed in our cabin for 36 hours. The last two days were at sea so at least we could keep close to the bathroom.

Edited by jd1966

Guess it depends what you call a long time.

Princess Cruises

Crown Princess

1/8 - 1/18/2016

Norovirus

From CDC website

And twice in 2014.

Princess Cruises

Crown Princess

10/18 - 11/16/2014

Norovirus

Princess Cruises

Crown Princess

4/5 - 4/12/2014

Norovirus and Enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)

And that's just when it was serious enough to be notifiable.