Probably a dumb water question.

waterfall9

Travelling with Costa for the first time and Ive read very mixed policies regarding water, please remember Im new when you reply and treat me gentle but as in when you land travel to other countries the water isnt suitable to drink from the taps, can you also not drink the tap water on Cruise ships as in your cabin ? does it cause stomach upsets? Its not a problem to us as its included bottled water but I just wondered:)

Travelling with Costa for the first time and Ive read very mixed policies regarding water, please remember Im new when you reply and treat me gentle but as in when you land travel to other countries the water isnt suitable to drink from the taps, can you also not drink the tap water on Cruise ships as in your cabin ? does it cause stomach upsets? Its not a problem to us as its included bottled water but I just wondered:)

The only dumb thing is someone who doesn't ask a question if they're not sure about the answer, and think 'IF I ask, I'll appear dumb'. That's what this whole site's about, asking if you're not sure about any issue. While I have never traveled on Costa, I certainly hope their water purification standards met or exceed industry standards. The LAST thing a cruiseline wants is customers sick due to a failure on their part.

I saw a T.V. Show called 'Mighty Ships' and they were talking to the technician who ran the water purification system on the RCL Oasis of the Seas and he took a sample glass of just cleaned and filtered waste water and drank it down, and said 'That water was more then pure enough to drink, but we don't even use it for passengers, it's as pure as tap water, but we use that water to wash the decks and ship with'. I have heard thar water used aboard is cleaner than most U.S. city's tap water. Hope this helps.

Mac

Thank you all glad thats cleared up for me :) Im pretty sure we have it in the drinks package but will gladly drink the tap water also then. I guess its personal choice and we have really nice tap water at home, just got confused when people said water wasnt available.

The only dumb thing is someone who doesn't ask a question if they're not sure about the answer, and think 'IF I ask, I'll appear dumb'. That's what this whole site's about, asking if you're not sure about any issue. While I have never traveled on Costa, I certainly hope their water purification standards met or exceed industry standards. The LAST thing a cruiseline wants is customers sick due to a failure on their part.

I saw a T.V. Show called 'Mighty Ships' and they were talking to the technician who ran the water purification system on the RCL Oasis of the Seas and he took a sample glass of just cleaned and filtered waste water and drank it down, and said 'That water was more then pure enough to drink, but we don't even use it for passengers, it's as pure as tap water, but we use that water to wash the decks and ship with'. I have heard thar water used aboard is cleaner than most U.S. city's tap water. Hope this helps.

Mac

Wow! I had no idea that their standards for drinking water were so high. That's great information that I can pass on to my family if they might want to buy bottled water.

Waterfall9: As has been said before, there are no dumb questions. Plus you're anonymous. You can ask the dumbest of dumb question and no one you meet in person will ever know you asked it. I haven't been around here for very long, but I haven't seen anyone chastised for asking a question. Only for posting something as fact when it's wrong, or having an opinion that's different than someone else :) So ask away, other people can learn from the responses too.

Some people don't like the taste as they are used to a different flavor. Yes water has flavor. Some is very minerally tasting or has an earthy finish. Others insist that there is added sodium to tap water and none in bottled( most bottled water is filtered tap water) being from FL the on board tap water tastes better than mine unless I run it through a filter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yeah guess its personal choice Im happy with tap water and good to know:) just got confused when I read negative Costa reviews saying water wasnt available so assumed cabin water wasnt drinkable. Understand it better now. Think bottled water is in our package anyway but hubby always takes a glass of water to bed and likes to run the tap lol :)

On our last cruise we took a 'behind the scenes" excursion where we walked in many areas of the ship. The water distillation plant was huge. The chemist in me says that water is A++. Cheers.

We also got to meet the captain on this excursion. I highly recommend the excursion.

I know it is safe to drink, but I just prefer the bottled water... I drink bottled at home cuz our water is gross...

Also worth mentioning is that the potable water on a cruise ship is far cleaner than many municipal water supplies (as well as bottled water).

yeah guess its personal choice Im happy with tap water and good to know:) just got confused when I read negative Costa reviews saying water wasnt available so assumed cabin water wasnt drinkable. Understand it better now. Think bottled water is in our package anyway but hubby always takes a glass of water to bed and likes to run the tap lol :)

From what I've read, on some Italian ships, no drinking water is offered at meal times, but the crew offer to sell you a bottle of water instead... and some passengers say no, they'll just have a jug of ship's water. That's maybe where you've got the idea that there's no drinking water provided.

The water is produced on board, and cannot run cold, so it's no use running the tap for a while. If you fill an empty bottle and place it in the fridge, it will chill and any chlorine will settle, so the taste is fine. :cool:

Like you, our water is good- exceptionally so, coming from the Lake District-

even so, our water producers suggest leaving water an hour for the chlorine to settle.

Have a wonderful cruise. x

Wow! I had no idea that their standards for drinking water were so high. That's great information that I can pass on to my family if they might want to buy bottled water.

Waterfall9: As has been said before, there are no dumb questions. So ask away, other people can learn from the responses too.

The water distillation system on Cruise Ships is the same as Navies, all over the World use.

So, it is very safe to drink.

Some people don't like the taste as they are used to a different flavor. Yes water has flavor. Some is very minerally tasting or has an earthy finish. Others insist that there is added sodium to tap water and none in bottled( most bottled water is filtered tap water) being from FL the on board tap water tastes better than mine unless I run it through a filter

That's my biggest problem with the ship's tap water...and actually, I have the very same problem with the majority of bottled water - don't like the taste. We're very lucky where we are (outer Melbourne) to have what I believe is some of the most drinkable tap water in Australia, if not the world. Tap water on the ship, I reckon I could smell the chlorine coming off it - how much is real and how much perceived I don't know, but I found it rather off-putting. I've overcome it to some extent by filling bottles and putting them in the fridge to chill, and cycling through several - chilling improves the taste I think as cb also commented, and leaving the water to sit allows the chlorine smell/taste to dissipate somewhat.

Yes, the only "problem" with tap water on a ship is that it won't run cold, no matter how long you run the tap for. If you have a method of chilling it (that's why many of us like to request ice buckets in cabins) then it will be absolutely fine. The fridges you get in the cabins often aren't very cold, they can keep stuff cool but they won't cook tepid tap water.