Delta Question about Atlanta

Muumuu

Flying into Atl on Delta. Need to change to another Delta flight.

Would they be in the same concourse?

Is an hour layover time adequate?

Not necessarily in the same concourse. Atlanta is Delta's main hub and uses all the concourses. As soon as you deplane, look at the monitor at that gate. It will list all the connecting flights for everyone on that plane. If you need to change concourses, go to the escalators in the center of the concourse and go down to the train for your new gate. It's really quite easy and efficient.

Most of the time an hour layover is more than adequate for domestic to domestic flights. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if you have already booked - well, most of the time you and your luggage will make the next plane. I believe (not 100% certain) that the MCT (minimum connecting time) for DL to DL domestic is 45 minutes. So in theory, you have time to spare.

I do recommend downloading the Delta app that you can use to track your bags and be assured that they do make the connection.

I do recommend downloading the Delta app that you can use to track your bags and be assured that they do make the connection.
The bag tracking function of the DL app is so overlooked by most folks. From your flight details, there is a link that takes you to a real-time report on your bags. Like a FedEx package, DL scans the bar code on each bag so that it knows if/when a bag has been placed onboard an aircraft.

I like being able to sit in my seat before takeoff and check. When it says onboard, I know that I don't have to worry about them showing up after landing. Or, you can use the wifi onboard - it is free to access the DL app and/or website.

One time, my bags did not make the original leg on my way to BCN. But they showed up and I could figure out the reroute. Went straight to the baggage office rather than waiting around the carousel.

Also, the DL app will help you to know where your next flight is leaving from. Finally, as you leave the jetway, there will be an overhead monitor right after the door. This is a listing of all the connections for the passengers onboard your flight. You can find your next gate right then. Along with the terminal map from the inflight magazine, you should be good to go.

If there are no delays on your inbound flight you can do 1 hour BUT we always schedule at least a 2 hour connection time based on experience. Rarely are the gates in the same terminal. We will be flying rough ATL on Thursday and have a 2 hour and 45 minute layover and worst case don't have to be in our next city until the following day.

Another Delta flyer here.

There are 7 parallel concourses. International flights generally depart from E and F. They can also leave from T or A.

Regional jets generally arrive/depart from the ends of C and D.

You did not mention your flights or arrival and departure cities so we can't be more specific.

Signage is overhead and the areas near the escalators/elevators to the train are VERY congested. Many of the concourses have food venues in the same areas which can add to the confusion. Just study the terminal map in the back of the Delta magazine in your seat pocket.

Rarely are the gates in the same terminal.

Actually, if you are connecting, you don't go into the "terminal". You would be in one of the seven concourses, all of which are airside and within the secure zone. As for "rarely", that's most true when connecting between a regional jet and a mainline, as the regionals tend to be at C & D, while mainline is mostly T, A, B, E and F. But even there, you have exceptions.

The reason for the comment - "terminal" and "concourse" have different meanings and are different things. And especially when talking to an airline staffer, you want to be clear as to the difference. (And we will leave direct and non-stop for another day)

Would they be in the same concourse?

Is an hour layover time adequate?

Very likely you'll have to go to another concourse but you might get lucky.

If your inbound arrives on time, an hour is adequate so long as you have no mobility issues. If you are seated in the very back of the plane on the inbound it will take additional time to deplane. You won't have a lot of extra time to stop and get food or whatever, so keep that in mind as well. Also keep in mind that the boarding doors often close about 10 min prior to scheduled departure time so that the flight paperwork can be finalized, so your one hour is more like 50 min.

As mentioned already, ATL has good signage and an efficient train between concourses, all of which help to navigate connections relatively easily.

ATL is an easy connect among terminals thanks to the Plane Train. However, you've been given good advice about an on time arrival, location of your seat in relation to length of time to deplane and very important, your next flight will close before the actual scheduled departure time. If you are coming in on a regional jet and you have gate checked your carry on, waiting for it to be brought to the jetway will take time. Also factor in how fast or slowly you walk. Very hard to predict if an hour will be sufficient for you.

We have changed flights in Atlanta on Delta many times in the past 10 years. It is rare to fly into one concourse and fly out of the same.

Still, we have made connections in under an hour many times. We even made a late night connection in 30 minutes and the flight didn't leave (even though scheduled to do so) for another 30 minutes, waiting for more passengers. There was some running involved and the airport was almost empty (it was after 11 pm).

I won't make reservations unless there is about 1.5 hours to connect to another flight, but an hour may work out.

If you are flying in domestic and flying out domestic, your concourses (terminals) may be close to each other. Do a dry run, check the concourses to see where they are located, it will give you a sense of how far you will have to walk to the escalator and how many stations on the plane train.

• 3 weeks later...

Delta just changed my times. I have a 51 minute layover (NOT LONG, I KNOW)

I'll be leaving from seattle on a CRJ 700 to Atlanta and arriving at 7:59 pm

Leaving to Knoxville on a 737-900 at 8:50

I can run fast and I'm in first class so getting off will be pretty quick, do I just run down to the escalators and get on the train to take me to the correct concourse???????

BUT First, I'll get familiar with the map in the book and I have the Delta app, so that should tell me what gate/concourse to leave for knoxville at 8:50, Correct???? Any advice would help

Delta just changed my times. I have a 51 minute layover (NOT LONG, I KNOW)

I'll be leaving from seattle on a CRJ 700 to Atlanta and arriving at 7:59 pm

Leaving to Knoxville on a 737-900 at 8:50

I can run fast and I'm in first class so getting off will be pretty quick, do I just run down to the escalators and get on the train to take me to the correct concourse???????

BUT First, I'll get familiar with the map in the book and I have the Delta app, so that should tell me what gate/concourse to leave for knoxville at 8:50, Correct???? Any advice would help

Everything looks OK, except I really don't think that DL is running a CRJ between SEA and ATL.

Everything looks OK, except I really don't think that DL is running a CRJ between SEA and ATL.

You're Correct - it's a 737-900ER - I'm assuming it's a good plane?

If there aren't any delays, the Delta app will tell which gate for my next flt, etc correct? and What about the escalators, do I run down the escalators and get on the train and it will tell once I'm on the train which concourse I need?. I flew to Houston thru Atl and this is what I think I did, It was a nightmare, so can't remember :eek:

You're Correct - it's a 737-900ER - I'm assuming it's a good plane?
It's a standard workhorse 737 FLUF. Like the other thousands out there.
If there aren't any delays, the Delta app will tell which gate for my next flt, etc correct?
Usually. However, as you leave the jetway, there will be an overhead monitor with the connections listed for the people deplaning from the SEA flight. You can see it there as well.
and What about the escalators, do I run down the escalators and get on the train and it will tell once I'm on the train which concourse I need?
No, don't run. Almost everybody else will just be standing on the ride down...those extra few seconds aren't going to really matter. And no, the train has no idea what flight you are on, so it won't tell you where to go. You need to know that yourself before you go down the escalator and board the train.
I flew to Houston thru Atl and this is what I think I did, It was a nightmare, so can't remember :eek:
Only a nightmare if you let it become one. ATL is one of the most logically laid-out airports in the world. Just know your starting point, your ending point and the signage will lead you to it, even if you don't look at a map. (Though looking and knowing the layout can't do anything but help.)

It's a standard workhorse 737 FLUF. Like the other thousands out there.

Usually. However, as you leave the jetway, there will be an overhead monitor with the connections listed for the people deplaning from the SEA flight. You can see it there as well.

No, don't run. Almost everybody else will just be standing on the ride down...those extra few seconds aren't going to really matter. And no, the train has no idea what flight you are on, so it won't tell you where to go. You need to know that yourself before you go down the escalator and board the train.

Only a nightmare if you let it become one. ATL is one of the most logically laid-out airports in the world. Just know your starting point, your ending point and the signage will lead you to it, even if you don't look at a map. (Though looking and knowing the layout can't do anything but help.)

Thanks, this has been very helpful :)

Something else I do when I'm doing connecting flights:

Look on Delta for those same flights for a few days - you can see what gates they landed/departed from. Sometimes the flights are pretty standard on the gates. It might give some inkling on what you're going to deal with. It's not 100%, but for me it does help.

Look on Delta for those same flights for a few days - you can see what gates they landed/departed from. Sometimes the flights are pretty standard on the gates. It might give some inkling on what you're going to deal with. It's not 100%, but for me it does help.

I do the same thing and have found that even if not the same gate often the same concourse.

Great Idea - never thought of that