Late Departure

Was just watching ships leave Port Canaveral late due to Hurricane Matthew having port closed the last few days and was wondering about everyone else's feelings.

If I had made plans for a cruise for months as is the norm, sometimes years, I would be disappointed to not get to "celebrate" sail away during the daytime as originally scheduled. I know it is NOBODY'S fault, it just would be a bit disappointing.

We have sailed late when leaving from San Juan and really wasn't fond of that either but the time was expected.

What is your feelings?

Tim

Night departures are cool and not the norm so I would happy about a late departure. I have some great pics leaving a few ports in the evening.

Any departure is good when your on a cruise.....:)

Edited by robandana

It wouldn't even occur to me to be upset to miss a daytime sail away. I'd just be glad the cruise didn't get cancelled because of the hurricane. I don't get the reasoning behind wanting the daytime sail away? Why do you think you missed out? Is there something more cool to see in the daylight that you feel you missed? Are they getting to a port late tomorrow? Did it make people miss doing some activities on the ship or were things on the ship closed because it was still docked? I'm trying to think of what would be different that make the daytime sail away different than a night sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Only one time has it happened that my sail away was delayed and we pulled out in the dark after dinner. I was sailing with a friend, and it was her first cruise that I had talked her into. As we were walking back to the room she mentioned she was bummed that we were leaving late and she couldn't watch it, as she'd been looking forward to it. I was surprised, as it hadn't even crossed my mind. I quickly switched gears, we went and got 2 glasses of champagne from a bar, went up to a forward deck and watched the sail away. It was quite beautiful in the dark, with the twinkling lights all around. Very nice, peaceful, and my friend was happy.

Maybe it would be better to leave on time in daylight hours and YOU could be sitting at the port watching your ship leave because many of the airport's are trying to get their schedules back to normal. I'll bet there were many passengers that couldn't get to the port. They may have planned to fly in a day or 2 early. With the airport closings, flights cancelled, I'm sure it wasn't easy to get another flight immediately to get to your cruise.

We sailed several hours late out of FLL a couple years ago the end of January, Celebrity Eclipse. No explanation...it was dark, and beautiful. We were on the ship for the next 14 nights. As long as we are on the ship when it leaves, I don't care what time it is. :D

Edited by debshomespun

Was just watching ships leave Port Canaveral late due to Hurricane Matthew having port closed the last few days and was wondering about everyone else's feelings.

If I had made plans for a cruise for months as is the norm, sometimes years, I would be disappointed to not get to "celebrate" sail away during the daytime as originally scheduled. I know it is NOBODY'S fault, it just would be a bit disappointing.

We have sailed late when leaving from San Juan and really wasn't fond of that either but the time was expected.

What is your feelings?

Tim

Everything is back to normal in Port Canaveral. Back to back cruisers re-boarded the Freedom at 10:15 a.m.

Maybe it would be better to leave on time in daylight hours and YOU could be sitting at the port watching your ship leave because many of the airport's are trying to get their schedules back to normal. I'll bet there were many passengers that couldn't get to the port. They may have planned to fly in a day or 2 early. With the airport closings, flights cancelled, I'm sure it wasn't easy to get another flight immediately to get to your cruise.

We sailed several hours late out of FLL a couple years ago the end of January, Celebrity Eclipse. No explanation...it was dark, and beautiful. We were on the ship for the next 14 nights. As long as we are on the ship when it leaves, I don't care what time it is. :D

Several hotels closed in PC. Probably another reason ships leaving late

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

If I had made plans for a cruise for months as is the norm, sometimes years, I would be disappointed to not get to "celebrate" sail away during the daytime as originally scheduled. Tim

We were delayed two days in fog several years ago out of Galveston. That was disappointing! We were trilled to finally celebrate sail away on the morning of day 3!

Again, I feel exactly as all of you do too. I would be glad the sailing was not cancelled, better late than never, beautiful sail away at night with all the lights fading in the distance, yes, it is all good, BUT I know how excited I am to sail and my sail away traditions and prefer daytime sail aways. I would have a small bit of disappointment but as someone else stated, it would not last long.

Tim