Azamara fan returns from Viking Sea Cruise.

Mrs Miggins

Hi Pam,

You will hear from Hazel in the next few days I'm sure, but she is rather busy right now. I will leave it to her to explain why! :)

Did you buy the drinks package onboard Viking Sea? I know wines and beers are included with lunch and dinner, but we are now used to the Azamara included alcohol policy all day and certainly enjoy their bubbles in the evening. I also like a G&T or a cocktail once or twice a day, so I was wondering whether I should pay as I go or buy the drinks package.

You cheeky monkey! :D:D:D

We don't know the details....perhaps an abnormally high tide? Perhaps Viking measured the height of the ship wrong? Who knows? Apparently Viking Star is one of the largest ships to ever sail the Cape Cod canal.

However, as the total damage reported was some minor scraped paint on the bottom of the bridge, it hardly seems worth arguing about, particularly on the Azamara forum.

I agree. I just pointed it out as a piece of recent news on a thread about Viking. Then, for reasons I don't understand, you became defensive. My guess is someone just forgot to fold down the light pole.

Fortunately, damage was minimal, as the Corps of Engineers just spent many millions completely refurbishing that bridge from the ground up, and it's the only rail access to the Cape.

I agree. I just pointed it out as a piece of recent news on a thread about Viking. Then, for reasons I don't understand, you became defensive. My guess is someone just forgot to fold down the light pole.

Fortunately, damage was minimal, as the Corps of Engineers just spent many millions completely refurbishing that bridge from the ground up, and it's the only rail access to the Cape.

Not defensive at all Missymom....I have never been on Viking Star. I have just booked my first cruise on Viking Sea in January and naturally I am interested in finding out all about the Viking ships, hence my interest in this very useful thread from Pam.

All I wanted was the true nature of the Viking incident to become apparent to everyone. Your post indicated it had "clipped the bridge" and I think that would mean some pretty serious damage, whereas actually there was just a little bit of paint scraped off the under side of the bridge by an antenna. You are probably correct and someone forgot to fold the antenna down. It was high tide and these things happen.

It's no big deal, no real damage was done to either bridge or ship....quite a non event really and I do not intend to spend any more time on it. I'm sure we both have much better things to do with planning our next cruises. :)

We just completed our 2nd Viking Ocean Cruise on the Star. The first was last summer -The Viking Homelands which was Norway, Scandinavia, Estonia, Tallin, Berlin and St. Petersburg. It was my favorite cruise EVER!!! Beauty every where we went. The ship is so pretty and the bathrooms are the best! We enjoyed most of the food on board. The wine was fine and plentiful. We just got off the Montreal to NYC cruise last Friday. We noticed there was lots more entertainment than the previous year and just lots for activity in general. Love that just about everything is included. We actually have booked the British Open tour on the Journey next July. We have never sailed with Azamara and are looking forward to it so we are in the exact opposite position of most of you on this thread. We booked Azamara because of the ports but have read nothing but great things about it so are looking forward to it. The Star has almost 900 passengers....Journey just 2/3 of that. The Star never felt crowded as there is lots of open space and seating for people to just chill out. Hope everyone enjoys whatever they chose (including me!!)

We just completed our 2nd Viking Ocean Cruise on the Star. The first was last summer -The Viking Homelands which was Norway, Scandinavia, Estonia, Tallin, Berlin and St. Petersburg. It was my favorite cruise EVER!!! Beauty every where we went. The ship is so pretty and the bathrooms are the best! We enjoyed most of the food on board. The wine was fine and plentiful. We just got off the Montreal to NYC cruise last Friday. We noticed there was lots more entertainment than the previous year and just lots for activity in general. Love that just about everything is included. We actually have booked the British Open tour on the Journey next July. We have never sailed with Azamara and are looking forward to it so we are in the exact opposite position of most of you on this thread. We booked Azamara because of the ports but have read nothing but great things about it so are looking forward to it. The Star has almost 900 passengers....Journey just 2/3 of that. The Star never felt crowded as there is lots of open space and seating for people to just chill out. Hope everyone enjoys whatever they chose (including me!!)

Thanks so much for that info huntersyaya. We are sure that Viking Sea will be a great cruise experience and I can assure you that you will love Journey too.

Azamara will always be my favourite cruiseline but I am impressed with Viking even before we go on the ship. The cabins look amazing and the bathrooms are a definite improvement on Azamara's tiny bathroom's .....but the Azamara cruise experience is so much more than a small cabin and bathroom. You have to experience the officers and crew to understand how special they make your cruise.

We are both so lucky to be able to enjoy these great cruise lines. :)

I loved Viking but just searched to see if we could find a summer Med cruise for next year - Sadly there is nothing - the cruises stop in April and start again in October - so I shall now concentrate on finding something on the equally great Azamara.

I loved Viking but just searched to see if we could find a summer Med cruise for next year - Sadly there is nothing - the cruises stop in April and start again in October - so I shall now concentrate on finding something on the equally great Azamara.

There are some great deals on the recently newly released Quest itineraries of July 5, July 14 and July 22 (after all the Istanbul cruises got re-deployed). And Venice during the Festa Del Redentore is magical!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Mrs Miggins,

We are offering a Double Upgrade on many of our 2017 Mediterranean voyages, if you book by the end of October. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/luxury-cruise-deals/double-upgrade

Pam, we are on Quest July 29th....we had a great deal on a Club Continent Suite. We are also thinking about Journey for Sept 16th, but a few things to sort out work wise and partner wise before we can book it.

How strange that Viking don't have a ship in The Med in the Summer! :confused:

Pam, we are on Quest July 29th....we had a great deal on a Club Continent Suite. We are also thinking about Journey for Sept 16th, but a few things to sort out work wise and partner wise before we can book it.

since this thread started i looked at Viking online. they are doing Northern Europe and not sure. there are so many Med cruises I guess they went sailing in a cooler spot. In July I am doing Northern Europe for the first time in year in 3 years.

I am sure i will look at the ports you are doing but I do not always want to fly over 12 hours to do the Med. maybe in 2019 or 2020. many ports there and in Spain I like to see again or be new to me.

They set up their itineraries when they only had 1 ship (that was 2015) and didn't change them when they added the 2nd ship in 2016. Now that they are about to launch their 3rd ship (and the 4th in 2018) they are starting to expand the itineraries. We have booked the new British Isles Explorer itinerary for 2018. Hopefully when they reach full strength with 6 ships they will rethink everything and become truly world-wide.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

They set up their itineraries when they only had 1 ship (that was 2015) and didn't change them when they added the 2nd ship in 2016. Now that they are about to launch their 3rd ship (and the 4th in 2018) they are starting to expand the itineraries. We have booked the new British Isles Explorer itinerary for 2018. Hopefully when they reach full strength with 6 ships they will rethink everything and become truly world-wide.

interesting that this is posted here. how many years have we asked for a 3d AZ ship. yet, Viking the new kid on the block might go to 6 ships and Oceania brought the Princess ship we could of had.

interesting that this is posted here. how many years have we asked for a 3d AZ ship. yet, Viking the new kid on the block might go to 6 ships and Oceania brought the Princess ship we could of had.

And Virgin seems to be serious about entering this cruising segment -- with 3 ships on immediate order:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7289

Lots of competition coming!

Viking may change things in 2018 with their 3rd ship but I was told that there is a huge demand for their Northern European itineraries in the summer.

I just looked at both itineraries you mention and they look good. Would prefer longer than 7 days and my dream is to do a back to back. I wanted to check prices last night and started doing a booking online on the 29th May sailing to see what cabins were available. I guess my problem is that by the time you add flights and possibly hotels then everything gets expensive again.

I believe in the past we have always had flights included - certainly we did in May this year, booked direct with Azamara, and also including The Hilton for one night in Athens. Previously I have booked both direct and also via a TA.

It would appear that some TA's do include the flights ? What is your experience ? Thanks, Pam.

I too have been looking since our inaugural cruise on Azamara. There is an online TA which 'Indulges' you, with added flights, certainly to Australia, where they have built a package, which includes a week's pre tour +hotels.

Trouble is I haven't yet won the lottery yet.

If I understand Larry P's comments correctly, then he believes that the impending increase in ship inventory in AZ's market niche may, in the long run be problematic and eventually lead to some "consolidation".

Much as what may be happening in the river cruise segment, when does growth in this niche create significant issues and then lead to an adjustment? For example, are their sufficient sources of staff that will maintain the level of the on board experience? And if not, will people pay for a different standard of service?

At this point, I think, it's still promising that some people want more of the Azamara experience, not less. And I also agree with those who wish to see exploration of new and less-visited ports.

It seems to me that, at this point, the new cruise lines do not address that latter issue.

Viking may change things in 2018 with their 3rd ship but I was told that there is a huge demand for their Northern European itineraries in the summer.

I just looked at both itineraries you mention and they look good. Would prefer longer than 7 days and my dream is to do a back to back. I wanted to check prices last night and started doing a booking online on the 29th May sailing to see what cabins were available. I guess my problem is that by the time you add flights and possibly hotels then everything gets expensive again.

I believe in the past we have always had flights included - certainly we did in May this year, booked direct with Azamara, and also including The Hilton for one night in Athens. Previously I have booked both direct and also via a TA.

It would appear that some TA's do include the flights ? What is your experience ? Thanks, Pam.

Pam, I will email you later as we cannot discuss other TA deals on here.