kids in cabin

Proudmom1120

My granddaughters age 13 and 16 have own cabin. However, the cabin adjoins their parents cabin (from the inside) so really not alone.

Mid ship balcony cabins on Ruby Princess in 500's on Caribe deck.

I think Baja has them too.

You pay full adult fares for them.

Sorry, don't actually know what age they can be by themselves.

Their reservation is linked with parents.If not, doubt if they could be booked.

Here is the text from the passage contract

"5. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING; TOBACCO; GAMING; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum Guest age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises, including transatlantic and transpacific itineraries. Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For families or groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision."

If your kids are in a separate cabin, I would suggest telling your TA or booking agent that neither you nor your kids (and book specific cabins adjacent or across from each other) are not to be moved. Ask for "No Upgrade Requested" to be on your paperwork...and then check the cruise personalizer often to make sure there's no cabin changes.

The way my sister did it with her family was to book 2 rooms. Room 1 was booked sister and her daughter. Room 2 was husband and son. Then when they got on the ship they got extra room keys and everyone "traded" rooms. Husband and wife had balcony room and kids in the inside room across the hall.

• 9 months later...
Here is the text from the passage contract

"5. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING; TOBACCO; GAMING; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum Guest age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises, including transatlantic and transpacific itineraries. Guests under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a Guest 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For families or groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each Guest agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Guest in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Guests under their supervision."

The sentence I highlighted above discusses the minimum age of 16 when guardian is on board, but is silent as to the location of the cabins. So could one assume you could book them ANYWHERE on the ship? Curious about people's actual experience with this.

Thanks

The sentence I highlighted above discusses the minimum age of 16 when guardian is on board, but is silent as to the location of the cabins. So could one assume you could book them ANYWHERE on the ship? Curious about people's actual experience with this.

Thanks

Anywhere as long as there is a 21 year old or older booked in the cabin with the child.

Anywhere as long as there is a 21 year old or older booked in the cabin with the child.

I was curious about the statement in the policy about 16 and above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There has to be someone at least 21 years old in the stateroom, unless you fit the exception. The exception is where the occupants are part of a family traveling together and the stateroom has at least one person 16 or over. As a previous poster noted, the requirement doesn't expressly say that the stateroom with the under 21 year olds has to be located near the other family members.

So, if two Joe (age 20) and Jane (age 19) try to book a cruise just the two of them, they will be turned down because they need someone over 21 in the stateroom.

But if Mom and Dad book a stateroom, they can book their children Billy (age 16) and Timmy (age 12) in a separate cabin. It is not necessary to officially split Mom and Dad up on the pre-cruise booking as suggested by MickeyandLV, although we have done that in order to get the shareholder benefit on two cabins (since my DH and I both own stock). Most people book the kids' cabin nearby, but it's not clear whether that is actually required.

There has to be someone at least 21 years old in the stateroom, unless you fit the exception. The exception is where the occupants are part of a family traveling together and the stateroom has at least one person 16 or over. As a previous poster noted, the requirement doesn't expressly say that the stateroom with the under 21 year olds has to be located near the other family members.

So, if two Joe (age 20) and Jane (age 19) try to book a cruise just the two of them, they will be turned down because they need someone over 21 in the stateroom.

But if Mom and Dad book a stateroom, they can book their children Billy (age 16) and Timmy (age 12) in a separate cabin. It is not necessary to officially split Mom and Dad up on the pre-cruise booking as suggested by MickeyandLV, although we have done that in order to get the shareholder benefit on two cabins (since my DH and I both own stock). Most people book the kids' cabin nearby, but it's not clear whether that is actually required.

Cool, thanks. We are booked on ruby next month and might make a last minute booking for our sons, age 19&15. We don't want to change our aft cabin and no others available close by.

Here's some more info based on my experience taking my kids on 11 Princess cruises so far. We have always booked two staterooms, and have tried many combinations including two side by side interiors, balcony plus interior, or two balconies with the partition open, depending on pricing for a given cruise. As I mentioned above, we have always booked me in one room and DH in the other, so that we we can get two shareholder credits. Once we get onboard, we go to the passenger services desk and ask to switch so that the parents are together in one room and the kids in the other. At that point, passenger services will apply the "age 16 exception" rule. So when our kids were both under 16, we could not officially switch the rooms, but we would ask for extra keys. Once the older kid turned 16, then we could ask passenger services to officially switch rooms.

We've always done this with rooms that are nearby, either side by side or across the hall. But on our Baltic cruise, we took an upsell offer from our balcony to a suite. I was booked in the suite with DD#2 (then age 14). DH was booked in an inside on the same floor with DD#1 (age 18). Due to our taking the upsell, the rooms were no longer close together although they were on the same floor. The suite was midship but the inside was quite far aft. Once we got onboard, we were able to switch DH into the suite and get him a new keycard so he could get his suite amenities. (However, the extra cruise credit for the suite went to those on the original booking, me and DD#2.) Passenger services didn't have any issue with the rooms being half a ship length apart, but noted that it worked because DD#1 was over 16.

Here's some more info based on my experience taking my kids on 11 Princess cruises so far. We have always booked two staterooms, and have tried many combinations including two side by side interiors, balcony plus interior, or two balconies with the partition open, depending on pricing for a given cruise. As I mentioned above, we have always booked me in one room and DH in the other, so that we we can get two shareholder credits. Once we get onboard, we go to the passenger services desk and ask to switch so that the parents are together in one room and the kids in the other. At that point, passenger services will apply the "age 16 exception" rule. So when our kids were both under 16, we could not officially switch the rooms, but we would ask for extra keys. Once the older kid turned 16, then we could ask passenger services to officially switch rooms.

We've always done this with rooms that are nearby, either side by side or across the hall. But on our Baltic cruise, we took an upsell offer from our balcony to a suite. I was booked in the suite with DD#2 (then age 14). DH was booked in an inside on the same floor with DD#1 (age 18). Due to our taking the upsell, the rooms were no longer close together although they were on the same floor. The suite was midship but the inside was quite far aft. Once we got onboard, we were able to switch DH into the suite and get him a new keycard so he could get his suite amenities. (However, the extra cruise credit for the suite went to those on the original booking, me and DD#2.) Passenger services didn't have any issue with the rooms being half a ship length apart, but noted that it worked because DD#1 was over 16.

Thanks for the info! Still don't know if my oldest son can get the time off, so good to know it's possible.