Pacific princess hit breakwater In port nice

princessfanboy

Following this thread with great interest as recently sailed in PP and booked again next year.

Reference the amount of damage. Couldn’t find any update on the net on this but it has to be somewhat reassuring that Princess have not changed any of their original advice.

Although there was one report saying that the ship would require dry dock and two are close by at Marseilles and Livorno, from the bridgecam the ship has not moved from Nice:

http://www.princess.com/webcam/pa_bridge.jpg?1476654271953

In daylight from the PP bridgecam it looks like there is some sort of work boat along side the PP? Starting to get crowded too.

I guess at this stage there are a few possibilities:

* Damage relatively minor and being repaired on site.

* Damage major and needs dry dock, repairs being made in order to travel.

* Damage major, awaiting dry dock space before moving.

To me all the evidence points towards number one but I would imagine there will be an update from Princess or a reliable source very soon. I would be very surprised if there were no under water repair facilities near or able to easily access the port of Nice.

I would think that there will also have to some sort of investigation. Ships don’t normally hit breakwaters whilst docking no matter what the weather. And I guess the lawyers are getting lined up to point the finger somewhere.

Like gamblers arriving at Villefranche Nice, looks like cruise captains have to be very careful. Celebrity Millennium’s propellers hit rocks there 2007 but I think it might have been anchored, not docking.

There's the Nice Port and then there's

Villefranche Port. Two different ports.

Since PP is a smaller ship it can dock in Nice.

Bigger ships dock in Villefranche.

Thanks for that clarification Belle. Then no work boat alongside. More like the right angled pier extension you can see on satellite pictures of Port of Nice.

Word that I have from a reliable source is that, as of this morning, the Pacific Princess is still at Nice. No word as to when/where the ship will go into dry dock for repairs.

Which is exactly what my reliable source (the Bridge Cam) shows...:D

PA,

Glad you had a safe trip home. It appears that you thought the general manager might be implying that the 10/28 sailing might be cancelled as well. Time will tell. When is the sailing after that scheduled for? 11/10 or thereabouts? Might you go back for that one?

Will be following your blog with great interest (as I always do).

Welcome back home J&G. Your loyal readers have been following your plight and stressing right along with you. As usual, you've handled the situation with proactivity and grace. Whatever decision you make regarding your winter adventures, it will be the right one.

I'm sorry for each and every person whose cruise was cut short (I've been there) or cancelled, but especially for you, my friends.

Thanks for the update J & G. Was hoping to meet you on the cruise on October 28th but understand your situation. Hope it all works out and you're happy with your decision.

Also glad to see you handled the one ridiculous poster with grace. Keep blogging - thousands of us love to follow your journey.

Edited by pinguy

Just so you know - that website is run by the proverbial "ambulance chaser", but in the world of cruise ships.

He does tend to embellish the most mundane of ship's issues. Not saying a leak is mundane, but I doubt that it was as devastating as the article makes it sound.

Edited by Shmoo here

Just so you know - that website is run by the proverbial "ambulance chaser", but in the world of cruise ships.

He does tend to embellish the most mundane of ship's issues. Not saying a leak is mundane, but I doubt that it was as devastating as the article makes it sound.

“Devastating”? Who is the embellisher here, you or cruiselaw? I can’t understand the logic behind your critique or where you see in that article that “Cruiselaw” embellished anything at all. They merely quoted a local French paper and a P.P. guest as well as verbatimed the one and only to date, Princess Cruises news release.

The incident happened on the 14th , absent further revelations, all we can do right now is speculate as to what happens next.

We get on (hopefully) the P.P. in about five weeks. I wouldn’t have known about the incident unless it was for that cruiselaw post. Furthermore, the OP of this thread found out about it from the cruiselaw post as well.

Don’t shoot the messenger just because you don’t particularly care for the message.

Yes. Most seasoned cruisers know this and tend to take the proverbial grain of salt with his words. If an incident happens on a cruise, whether small or not, you can count on this guy to amplify it. Chicken Little comes to mind.:)

'Shmoo here' and 'shreddie',

Have either of you read the Cruise Law News article?

I have, and it actually is one of his tamer articles. I typically read his website for my morning chuckle, as I see how many inaccuracies, inflations, extraneous facts, or unrelated agendas he includes each day. As someone who has been misquoted by Mr. Walker, and someone who knows the maritime industry, I dismiss nearly all of what he puts into an article. If you read them for just what he quotes from other sources, you might get a 50/50 realistic version, but his opinions are a joke.

Thanks J for the updates. So glad you arrived home safely. We look forward

to your travels, whatever, that might be. I know, that the two of you will find something to keep you out of the winter cold. Thanks again, for the great

details of your trip. We always learn so much from your travels and now

you have given us some insight of how to handle a crisis.

'Shmoo here' and 'shreddie',

Have either of you read the Cruise Law News article?

Why, yes, I have. And I agree with chengkp75:

I have, and it actually is one of his tamer articles. I typically read his website for my morning chuckle, as I see how many inaccuracies, inflations, extraneous facts, or unrelated agendas he includes each day. As someone who has been misquoted by Mr. Walker, and someone who knows the maritime industry, I dismiss nearly all of what he puts into an article. If you read them for just what he quotes from other sources, you might get a 50/50 realistic version, but his opinions are a joke.

- unlike most articles he writes, this one is very subdued in the "cruise lines are the ultimate evil" area.

I was only giving a head's up to someone who may never have read his articles that it's necessary to take what he writes with a (very small) grain of salt.

Why, yes, I have. And I agree with chengkp75:

- unlike most articles he writes, this one is very subdued in the "cruise lines are the ultimate evil" area.

I was only giving a head's up to someone who may never have read his articles that it's necessary to take what he writes with a (very small) grain of salt.

Fine... but none of the 'critiques' pertain to the article in question.

I do know that.

I use it to spread the news, not because i believe him.

It was the first article that came with the news of the pacific Princess accident.

A passenger on the October 16th sailing out of Barcelona received an email saying that cruise has been cancelled.

I wonder if the following cruise out of Civatavecchia (sp?) on October 28th will be cancelled?

I just called Princess expressing concern about our cruise out of Civitavechia. A very pleasant agent said that they get daily updates and today there was nothing on the Princess so she put me on hold to consult with someone. Upon resumption of our conversation, she said the ship will be operable for our 28 October date. I emphasized that many people may be going over early and it would be very inconvenient to delay any notice of cancellation. I HOPE the information was accurate! Look foward to meeting you all very soon. Bob Nalley

I just called Princess expressing concern about our cruise out of Civitavechia. A very pleasant agent said that they get daily updates and today there was nothing on the Princess so she put me on hold to consult with someone. Upon resumption of our conversation, she said the ship will be operable for our 28 October date. I emphasized that many people may be going over early and it would be very inconvenient to delay any notice of cancellation. I HOPE the information was accurate! Look foward to meeting you all very soon. Bob Nalley

Thanks for the update. See you on the 28th. Go Blue!

Edited by pinguy