Deciding Between Two Cruises

geoherb

I have been cleared to sail again by my doctor's office. Now it's time to decide between two cruises. One is an 8-day on the Caribbean Princess, and the other is a 7-day on the Regal Princess. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm listing the pros and cons I can think of right off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Pros for the Caribbean:

1 day more; goes to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao (and we haven't been to Bonaire before)

Cons for the Caribbean:

We'd get an obstructed view cabin; older ship (we've sailed on it before and it's good but not our favorite ship)

Pros for the Regal:

We'd get a balcony cabin; goes to Princess Cays; new ship to us

Cons for the Regal:

1 day less; goes to Jamaica (but we'd stay on the ship there) and we've been to all the other ports before

Ha! We just had this same debate in our household for The November 5th on the Caribbean or the November 6th on the Regal. Same scenario - obstructed OV on the Caribbean or balcony on Regal. We had been on the Regal before, and while it was a nice ship, we weren't in love with it. We do really love having a balcony, but the extra day and the better itinerary for the Caribbean made us go with it over the Regal. Good luck.

BTW, we're hoping for a last minute upsell offer for a balcony, but I won't be disappointed if we don't get it.

IMHO, Caribbean has the better itinerary...and the balconies on the Regal are worthless (again, just my opinion!) Whichever you choose, hooray for you that you'll be back on a ship!!

Edited by Murphey

In this instance I'd say the lack of balcony on the CB would not be a major issue for us, but you may feel differently.

One of the big plusses for us concerning the CB is the better pool options, especially the aft Terrace Pool.

Also, I wouldn't get off in Jamaica either and think the CB itinerary is superior.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise. :)

If it were any other ship that the CB I would automatically say go for the extra day.

(Though with all the 'last minute deals' in my inbox we might end up on her this season anyway).

I too normally lean to the sailings that include Princess Cays--but agree that Jamaica usually ends up a sea-day-at-the-dock.

Seems like a coinflip to me. Rarely is my instinct to say splurge for the better cabin/nicer ship on the shorter cruise (have done it myself only once that I can remember) but this time may be the exception.

Edited by fishywood

Ha! We just had this same debate in our household for The November 5th on the Caribbean or the November 6th on the Regal. Same scenario - obstructed OV on the Caribbean or balcony on Regal. We had been on the Regal before, and while it was a nice ship, we weren't in love with it. We do really love having a balcony, but the extra day and the better itinerary for the Caribbean made us go with it over the Regal. Good luck.

BTW, we're hoping for a last minute upsell offer for a balcony, but I won't be disappointed if we don't get it.

I'm disappointed we don't have the US pricing system in the UK!! If we want to give ourselves an upgrade we have to pay what price the cabin you want to upgrade to would've costed the time you booked. It really sucks when the price is largely lowered as we've seen with our cruise next April. Also, as soon as you hit book now, your deposit is gone; whether you go on the cruise or not. I hate it :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic. I would go for the Caribbean Princess personally;

-I LOVE the Grand class ships (again a personal preference)

-I feel like Bonaire would be a more interesting first time port than Princess Cays

-You have an extra day

-By the way - go for cabin E414/415 or E416/417; these cabins are classed as OV but have very little obstruction. E414 and E415 would be best as by looking at the deck plans the only obstruction is a few thin metal poles along the side. For a view of a very similar obstruction to E414/415 click on https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/VE_obs and scroll down to E323 or E326.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by danielundecided

We, also, just went through making this same decision only for the Nov. 19 & Nov. 20 sailings. Of course, I would've preferred a balcony over an obstructed oceanview and I much prefer the Regal Princess to the Caribbean Princess but.... the extra day and better itinerary led us to choose the Caribbean Princess in an obstructed oceanview as well.

I did have a good feeling that we would be offered an upsell. Since Princess started offering more upsells over free upgrades, the only cruise that I was not offered an upsell on was our Alaskan cruise that I booked only a few weeks before sailiing (there was no inventory left for upsells). I would have been fine with our room if we hadn't been offered an upsell but knew that I would likely jump on one if it was offered. I got the upsell offer last week and we are now in a window suite so now I am very certain that I made the right decision. I would never have been offered a suite from the balcony room on the Regal sailing!

Edited by minabruuke

Thanks for the insights so far. I'm still torn between the two cruises. The extra day would be great as would Bonaire. But I'd miss having a balcony. We've sailed in obstructed view cabins plenty of times, but we had balconies on our last five cruises. I realize that the Regal's are not as spacious as what we've had on the Grand-class ships, especially since we have been spoiled to have Caribbean Deck ones on a lot of cruises.

Thanks for the insights so far. I'm still torn between the two cruises. The extra day would be great as would Bonaire. But I'd miss having a balcony. We've sailed in obstructed view cabins plenty of times, but we had balconies on our last five cruises. I realize that the Regal's are not as spacious as what we've had on the Grand-class ships, especially since we have been spoiled to have Caribbean Deck ones on a lot of cruises.

Its a choice only you can make.Is it the ship and accommodations, or onshore excursions but obstructed view cabin?

If you spend any time at all watching the television in your cabin, you will much prefer the Regal Princess with its "on demand" programing.

I know no one should select a cruise to just watch TV, but if you have seen all the production shows and don't spend evening drinking in a bar, the great selection of movies and shows on the Regal's TV system can be a blessing.

I have been cleared to sail again by my doctor's office. Now it's time to decide between two cruises. One is an 8-day on the Caribbean Princess, and the other is a 7-day on the Regal Princess. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm listing the pros and cons I can think of right off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Pros for the Caribbean:

1 day more; goes to Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao (and we haven't been to Bonaire before)

Cons for the Caribbean:

We'd get an obstructed view cabin; older ship (we've sailed on it before and it's good but not our favorite ship)

Pros for the Regal:

We'd get a balcony cabin; goes to Princess Cays; new ship to us

Cons for the Regal:

1 day less; goes to Jamaica (but we'd stay on the ship there) and we've been to all the other ports before

I would choose the Regal. Bonaire is just really not a big deal unless you are an avid snorkeler. It is my least favorite place of all the islands due to its flatness and lack of things to do except snorkeling, and I don't snorkel

The buffet is so much better on the Regal.

Of course, its size is daunting for some, but once on board I don't even notice the crowding as we did on the Grand last week.

And it is so nice to be able to get some fresh air in the cabin

As nukesubsailor mentions, the interactive TV is good, too.

Pick the newer ship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

We like the itinerary better on the Caribbean Princess. Have been on both the Regal and Caribbean Princess ourselves, we tend to like the Regal Princess more. However the itinerary is what would make us personally book the eight day cruise.

Have a great cruise whichever one you choose.

The Regal itinerary wouldn't interest me at all. And you state that you've been to all those ports before. I'd book the CB itinerary with its extra day and new port, and then I'd get on-line first thing once final payment day arrives and scoop up a balcony cabin that gets thrown back into the pool. There most assuredly will be many. A quick call to Princess or your TA and you should be able to move to a better cabin.

I have been on both ships. I love Regal. But, she is a large ship, with more walking than Caribbean Princess. So, if the large size of Regal is OK with you, I would pick Regal. This is base on the ship only and not the ports of call.

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to book the Caribbean. It's the extra day plus the wonderful four days at sea and the lower price that swayed my decision. We'll have another chance to try the Regal.