NCL Jewel - What is it really like?

nanourw

We siled Vancouver-Miami on the Pearl, sister ship to the Jewel, a little while ago and really enjoyed everything about the ship, the crew and the food.

We have booked Honolulu-Sydney in 2017 on the Jewel and then Sydney-Tokyo in 2018 on the Jewel with the expectation that we have the same experience.

Mike

Tacky is in the eyes of the beholder. I love the Jewel and Pearl bright and happy colors. Makes me happy. Love both of those ships (plus any other that I happen to be on at the moment).

Very true, but for Norwegian to REALLY compete effectively against the premium lines, they need to look the part. That was what my point was about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DW and I were on Jewel this past may. The only complaint that I had needs to be taken into context of when the ship was built. I found the decor to be horrible and tacky, so far the worst decor out of any ship I have sailed on. In Tzar Palace, the carpet is bright green, with burgundy backed chairs. The atrium and nightclub are just as bad. Atrium has neon and pink striped chairs, with a purple carpet

Now, this is how ships were outfitted when Jewel was new. Major lines were copying Carnival.

Since new management has taken over, one of the POSITIVES is that they are dry-docking the older ships to remove the tacky decor. Gem has already been done, and she looks amazing. ...

I have to differ with you a little bit here re the Gem. We have sailed on her three times (as well as on the Jade and Jewel), most recently in February, *after* the dry dock. While it's true that many of the public areas on the Gem got a nice refresh (including the wonderful Great Outdoors), NCL did NOTHING, for example, to the garish, bordello-worthy green and purple furnishings in the suites, nor did NCL replace the worn, tacky laminated furniture. So those staterooms are still really tacky, but now they are also worn and dated.

I posted some comments and photos after we returned, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314292

Really no excuse for NCL to have had the Gem in dry dock and not refreshed those garish staterooms.

I have to differ with you a little bit here re the Gem. We have sailed on her three times (as well as on the Jade and Jewel), most recently in February, *after* the dry dock. While it's true that many of the public areas on the Gem got a nice refresh (including the wonderful Great Outdoors), NCL did NOTHING, for example, to the garish, bordello-worthy green and purple furnishings in the suites, nor did NCL replace the worn, tacky laminated furniture. So those staterooms are still really tacky, but now they are also worn and dated.

I posted some comments and photos after we returned, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314292

Really no excuse for NCL to have had the Gem in dry dock and not refreshed those garish staterooms.

Those are going to be refreshed during the next dry dock. The thought is that people spend most of the time out of the cabins, so those could wait a bit.

I have sailed on enough of the fleet to make a comparison ;) we were just on Gem last week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

We are sailing on the Jewel Oct 30/16, first time cruisers. My husband and I are travelling with our 13 year old son. I will update you after the cruise and let you know how it went.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That would be terrific. I would love to know how you found the ship especially the sporting activities and the kids clubs.

Have a wonderful trip. :)

I sailed on the Jewel 10 years ago in the Mediterranean. Tomorrow, I set sail again on the Jewel, this time to Mexico. I'm hoping to have the same wonderful experience as I did the first time. I will write a brief review when I return.

I sailed on the Jewel 10 years ago in the Mediterranean. Tomorrow, I set sail again on the Jewel, this time to Mexico. I'm hoping to have the same wonderful experience as I did the first time. I will write a brief review when I return.

Have fun

Steven Jacobsen is your Hotel Director and Captain Pelle Fredriksson is Master. Both very fine gentleman.

Enjoy

Those are going to be refreshed during the next dry dock. The thought is that people spend most of the time out of the cabins, so those could wait a bit.

Really, when is the Gem's next drydock, since she was just in drydock less than a year ago? And no, the "thought" on doing nothing to refresh those staterooms was that they in fact had intended to refresh the suites but didn't have time during the drydock. There is no excuse for NCL to have left those suites as they did; they are outdated, garish, tacky, and worn.

Wait a bit? Five more years? Four? How many?

Really, when is the Gem's next drydock, since she was just in drydock less than a year ago? And no, the "thought" on doing nothing to refresh those staterooms was that they in fact had intended to refresh the suites but didn't have time during the drydock. There is no excuse for NCL to have left those suites as they did; they are outdated, garish, tacky, and worn.

Wait a bit? Five more years? Four? How many?

They won't be done for several years. And I agree that they look tacky (as do IMHO all Haven category cabins on Jewel class). I won't pay a premium to sail in the Jewel class Haven

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you posted this- we are also looking to book on the Jewel as well on the same itinerary as you have outlined. We were also put off by the feedback we had read and were reconsidering- now with the replies from your post we can be a bit more confident in proceeding to book

I was on the Jewel for two weeks in October. We thought it was in good shape and the crew was great. What was unusual was that they were replacing the carpeting near the midship elevators on the cruise. I think they are trying to make sure that the ship is in good condition for it's journey to Australia.

We are booked on that cruise, from Vancouver to Sydney on the Jewel. I like NCL, but if you are looking for Celebrity quality, you will be disappointed. But for the price difference, I will choose NCL every time. Considering the length and time of the cruise, I doubt there may not be much for the kids, because there will not be many on them on the ship. Hope to see you on the trip.

I love the Jewel. Have been on her many times. Got off the Gem two weeks ago and although the Spinnaker has nice new furnishings, I wish they had some comfortable couches like they used to have beside the windows where you could lie and look out at the ocean and read and doze off maybe.

Glad you posted this- we are also looking to book on the Jewel as well on the same itinerary as you have outlined. We were also put off by the feedback we had read and were reconsidering- now with the replies from your post we can be a bit more confident in proceeding to book

Reassuring comments. So looking good for October '17.

We are sailing on the Jewel Oct 30/16, first time cruisers. My husband and I are travelling with our 13 year old son. I will update you after the cruise and let you know how it went.

Hi there

Hope you had a wonderful cruise and time away with your family. Was just wondering how you found it and how your son enjoyed the activities?

Many thanks :)

A great time was had by all. My son spent most of his time at the sports court perfecting his jump shot. He did hang out at the teen club and arcade but was kinda shy.

Loved the easy access to food. We tried Modernos, very good. Chin Thinlayer also good. Buffet has way too crowded and chaotic.

Enjoyed the Thermal pass except for last day, water was too rough.

I sailed the Jewel twice. First when it was new 10 years ago and again a couple weeks ago. If you really want a brutally truthful opinion, I wrote a review. I was honest and didn't sugar coat anything. You can do a search on my name to pull up my posts or scroll back to the last time a comment was made on it which was Nov. 4th and you will find it.

We just returned from Alaska on the Jewel on the last sailing of the season. I found the ship to be beautiful. I too had heard not so positive things about décor, food, etc. Obviously your mileage may vary, but we had a wonderful time and with the exception of one meal I would rate as poor, we found food, service and ambience very much to our liking.

Enjoy yourself!

p.s. I have been so busy since I got back I have not had a chance to write my review, but I remember how much information I got through first hand accounts and so I am going to do my best to pay it forward. For those that take the time to give detailed accounts of ships, excursions, impressions (I'm talking to you Mitsugirly:)) it is extremely time consuming, but soooo important for us newbies. Thank you!

Sailing on the Jewel in 10 days!!! Some of the reviews have scared me so I am glad to read there are people who like it too. I personally like a lot of color so I doubt the decor will bother me. I am more worried about not liking the food. I really want some good meals (or at least edible)!

We bought Thermal Spa passes so I am hoping that is good too and not over crowded.

The thing about reviews is, it depends so much on who wrote the review and if your criteria is the same as theirs. I quit reading reviews unless it's by a poster whose opinions and tastes I respect and feel we have similar expectations. It takes time to figure out who those posters are though.

We sailed the Jewel for Thanksgiving of 2014. My 50th birthday was also that week. We happen to like the Jewel class ships' size and layout. They are easy to navigate. We love sailing NCL because the crew is very friendly, food is good, and we enjoy ourselves. That being said, I'm also a big fan of X though I haven't had the fortune of sailing on their newer ships. But my best friend has, and from what she has told me, the X experience on the newer ships is quite a bit above any Jewel class ship. This is not to say you can't have a good time on the Jewel. But you will set yourself up for disappointment if you compare the Jewel to any of the Solstice class or newer X ships. We have learned to temper our expectations and take each trip/ship as it comes. We are also glass mostly full people, and I'm just happy to be on a ship.

Edited by GORDONCHICK