Birthday "gifts" from Carnival

LMaxwell

hi I noted on my reservation that we were celebrating my husbands 50th bday. his birthday was a few weeks before the cruise.

he received an envelope left in the room with a gift certificate for two

in either the Asian restaurant or the Italian restaurant anytime during our 5 night cruise. it was a nice gesture and we did use it.

however. we both did not feel that it would be worth the extra $$ for the Italian restaurant. it was just ok

I received a $50 credit at that Spa during my cruise on my birthday. Still forking out $200.00+ for a couples massage was more than I wanted to pay. I would have preferred an OBC of $25.00 or at least a complimentary drink at dinner.

The idea behind the program is to tease folks into the "upselling" to more expensive or new experiences - to get them to want to spend money they wouldn't ordinarily. OBC or a free drink at dinner won't accomplish that.

My guess is they make money on the program or they wouldn't continue it.

OK, so here is my question.

There are 8 of us going, and most of them have never cruised before.

Two of the anniversaries and my birthday are in February. We were planning on celebrating our events in the "usual" way, in the MDR.

So are you saying, since these events happen in February (we are cruising in March), we probably won't received any card, etc., for a discount on anything, even if I mention it under our bookings?

Celebrate in the "usual" way and order yourselves a cake.

Our anniversary is in Aug and I'm sailing in Dec so I expect a discount? BTW my DH isn't going along so maybe they'll give me something to take home for him?

• 2 months later...

Our last cruise was 12/25-1/1 and my daughter turned 17 on 12/30. I purchased the $46 birthday cake/room décor/photo frame/Carnival beach towel birthday package.

During the cruise she got a happy birthday card signed by the captain, and on three separate days they delivered chocolate covered strawberries with happy birthday greetings attached from Carnival. She was also wished happy birthday by our MDR servers and our steward without us announcing the day.

I imagine if you order the $46 birthday package they note in the computer system somehow, but not sure that was the cause.

we sailed Breeze this last September. We were on the cruise on my birthday..I received a gift card for a bottle of wine, a 5X7 photo and a $50 spa gift card (there are only certain services you can choose from) these were from the room steward. I also received a small birthday cake w/candle in the dining room and the waiters sang Happy Birthday to me. I was surprised:)

In 2015 and in 2016 we sailed on or just a few days off from my husband's birthday. In 2015 he received a $50 spa card and $25 towards bottle of wine. He used the wine certificate but not the spa card. In 2016 he received another $50 spa card and a free photo. Again he did not use the spa credit and we never did get a photo since there are so many restrictions on what type of photo you can get. Since the spa certificates are non-transferrable we lost both of those. It's a nice gesture but it seems that a lot of these are not being used. We are Diamond but don't think that has anything to do with this program.

I love the free beach towels that are placed on the lounge chairs by the pool. But, you have to get up early, around 6:30 a.m., if you want to get any before they're all gone. ;):D:D:D

Yeah. Occasionally they leave flops or sometimes books, but definitely get there early. I've heard there's sometimes problems if you try to collect later in the day. :eek: why is that?

Just a heads up to anyone receiving the pixels card - it's not for any picture you choose. We rarely buy pictures so I wasn't too knowledgeable and assumed I could just have any picture printed into a 5 x 7. We did have some formals done this time for the first time and I thought I could have one of them made into a 5 x 7 and use my card. That's not how it works - only the disembark (ports) photos and a few others taken around the ship are made into 5 x 7s. Unfortunately for me, it was too late to get any of those taken so I couldn't use my card.

2chilover - We had a similar experience! My husband and I received a free 5x7 photo and a $50 spa credit gift card for our anniversary. I had also assumed any photo could be printed as a 5x7 and received the same response. However, they also told me that the discount of a free 5x7 could be applied to any of the prints. For example, the 5x7 was ~$10. So I was able to get a 8x10 formal pic ($20) for $10. So that was nice!!

Also as a FYI - these gift cards expire quickly during the cruise. However, the Pixels still honored my gift card even though it had technically expired. YMMV.

As nice as it may be for anybody celebrating an 'anything' as it seems, i don't understand the business practice.

anybody can walk on, with say the lowest cat room, spend nothing, (this is a hypothetical) say they're celebrating something, and get a for instance $50 spa + $25 wine + $20 photo = 95 benefit...

but if i book a balcony, pay double for single, and then spend $500 onboard.

maybe they should start sending gifts to people who book higher category rooms, buy cheers, buy stuff at the shops, play bingo, etc. basically, the passengers that spend money onboard, which is what makes their profit margin.

fwiw, i think it's a nice gesture, but at the same point one that doesn't make business sense - to give free stuff for the sense of giving it, although it will grant goodwill. however, this is at a point when they are forcing 'once a day room service', 'ask for robes', 'pay to not wait (fttf), etc. t just doesn't make much sense. congratulations to everybody that has been celebrating something and i'm glad you enjoyed it!

ccl ust needs to get their game in line.

As someone else noted, the $50 in the spa doesn't go far. While it is possible to simply use the gift card and only have to add a tip (manicure), it also encourages someone to go to the spa and pay for a treatment when they wouldn't have otherwise. For example, I used my gift card for a hair treatment (<$50), however my friend who got one for her birthday decided to treat herself to a massage ($200). Now carnival is up $150.

Likewise for the photo - someone could go for the free 5x7 port pic, or they could be tempted to upgrade to a $10 discount on the $20 8x10 formal pic. Either way, it gets people into the photo gallery that may normally breeze by. In my previous cruises, I had honestly never given the photo gallery a second thought. This cruise, since I had the gc, I was invested, actually posed for pictures, went through all the photos several times, and bought a photo for the first time ever. (A 8x10 like my example above -- so Carnival is again up $10). If you can't decide between a few photos... $$$

Ditto for the wine, etc. The cheapest wine is $25, yes, but with a $25 discount, people will be tempted to go for a $30, $40, $50 etc. bottle instead. The markup on wine is huge, so I am sure Carnival isn't losing any money here either.

I think the marketing department at Carnival very carefully selected the $ amount for these gifts - they will benefit from both the goodwill gesture + encourage a new audience to spend more money on board. Clever eh?

It sounds like we should be getting some stuff during our upcoming cruise? My birthday is during the cruise, my son's birthday is also during the cruise and my other son's birthday is before the cruise. So, maybe gifts for 2 or 3 people? I know my sons would not go to the spa for anything, but maybe they would get the pixels credit? Anything else for men specifically?

As someone else noted, the $50 in the spa doesn't go far. While it is possible to simply use the gift card and only have to add a tip (manicure), it also encourages someone to go to the spa and pay for a treatment when they wouldn't have otherwise. For example, I used my gift card for a hair treatment (<$50), however my friend who got one for her birthday decided to treat herself to a massage ($200). Now carnival is up $150.

Likewise for the photo - someone could go for the free 5x7 port pic, or they could be tempted to upgrade to a $10 discount on the $20 8x10 formal pic. Either way, it gets people into the photo gallery that may normally breeze by. In my previous cruises, I had honestly never given the photo gallery a second thought. This cruise, since I had the gc, I was invested, actually posed for pictures, went through all the photos several times, and bought a photo for the first time ever. (A 8x10 like my example above -- so Carnival is again up $10). If you can't decide between a few photos... $$$

Ditto for the wine, etc. The cheapest wine is $25, yes, but with a $25 discount, people will be tempted to go for a $30, $40, $50 etc. bottle instead. The markup on wine is huge, so I am sure Carnival isn't losing any money here either.

I think the marketing department at Carnival very carefully selected the $ amount for these gifts - they will benefit from both the goodwill gesture + encourage a new audience to spend more money on board. Clever eh?

You say that like this is something evil that Carnival invented? Plenty of restaurants do this, it's almost like that's the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds like we should be getting some stuff during our upcoming cruise? My birthday is during the cruise, my son's birthday is also during the cruise and my other son's birthday is before the cruise. So, maybe gifts for 2 or 3 people? I know my sons would not go to the spa for anything, but maybe they would get the pixels credit? Anything else for men specifically?

Men can use the spa. I go every cruise.

I received a $50 spa card on the Freedom April 30th cruise last year. My birthday isn't until August, so they have given them out at random. I used mine for a much needed manicure, it was so nice with hot stone massage included that I tipped extra. :)

Or you may get nothing. The items are set in your stateroom by the stewards and not by occupant gender. Like with all presents, it is a present and should never be assumed.

I've seen some posts about "birthday" gifts from carnival like free photos, spa time, etc...

Is this a package you purchase at a discount, or is it triggered by noting a birthday on your reservation / DOB for the guest? We were switch from a Halloween cruise to one during my wife's birthday so was just wondering if I need to find this under the gift catalog or is it automated?

18 CCL cruises, most around anniversaries/birthdays. Not one single thing from them...

You say that like this is something evil that Carnival invented? Plenty of restaurants do this, it's almost like that's the point.

No, not evil at all. What an odd thing to say. I was replying to a previous poster (as quoted) who didn't understand the business practice of giving away things for free. I was explaining how it was an excellent business practice for Carnival with examples.

:confused:

Men can use the spa. I go every cruise.

I know, but my son's are both disabled and would not sit still for an hour,let alone a stranger touch them. They are very sensory defensive.

I did get a $50 spa card from our room steward last cruise. I asked him what it was for and he said that he is given a card every cruise to give to one of his stateroom guests and he chose me!

I know, but my son's are both disabled and would not sit still for an hour,let alone a stranger touch them. They are very sensory defensive.

I did get a $50 spa card from our room steward last cruise. I asked him what it was for and he said that he is given a card every cruise to give to one of his stateroom guests and he chose me!

Ahh. That makes sense. Yeah they wouldn't use it. Doesn't mean they can't give it to you!

Wow ... first world problem. It's hard to believe that anyone would complain because someone having a birthday or anniversary is recognized on board the ship. It appears to be an equal opportunity program regardless of what folks can afford to pay for their cabin.

Also ... if you look at the type of things gifted you'd see they DO fit in with a healthy business sense. They are all set up to increase/induce cruisers to spend more $$ in those area - a bottle of wine (encouraging folks to buy others on the trip), the photo (hard to decide which one to pick so they buy others) the upsell dinner (to show folks how nice those "extra $$ resturants" are so they'll book more) and the spa (where most services cost extra $$ so you spend your own $$ for the balance of a treatment you wouldn't have booked otherwise)

You are so right. It makes incredibly good business sense. If people are made to feel special and thought about then they will spend more. I use Disney as an example. I'm a cheapskate. I hate spending money. I'm a 47 year old man. Back when my kids were young we did Disney and they always did things that made it feel like they really cared. I never felt like they were trying to rip me off and I always felt like they cared about my family and having a great experience. Because of that I gave money to them hand over fist. I was so happy to be there I didn't care about the money I was spending.

We've never celebrated a birthday or anniversary on a cruise. We did, however, receive a $50 spa gift card on one of our cruises for no apparent reason. We didn't use ours, but our friends got one and I think he put it toward a massage.

• 11 months later...

Follow up, cruise was 2 months ago. Received the free photo, birthday cake at dinner, and the spa credit. Very limited and expensive menu of spa services that was did not want, so bypassed it. Did email Carnival to ask if it was supposed to be off all services or only a small menu; they told me it was for any services or products on the ship and offered me a $50 OBC instead for future use up to 2 years. Anyways, note those special events in your cruise manager and Carnival might really impress your party.

It left a positive impression with my wife and since she knew we could get a photo, encouraged her to get more photos done, and then you can't pick just one, so you end up buying more, just as they designed. Smart marketing.