Shower only Cabins on some HAL ships

wander

As most of you know, HAL converted a small number of cabins on at least a few ships to Shower Only cabins. I am looking for feedback about the showers versus the shower in the tub cabins.

How are the showers? - specifically at keeping water in the shower area versus running out into the toilet/sink floors. However informative other shower only bathroom comments are also welcome. I AM NOT looking for a big debate on the value of tubs versus showers. Just want to know if they work in a satisfactory manner.

We always take showers - maybe 6 baths in 51 years of marriage. We have always enjoyed the showers in HAL ships, but as we age "climbing" over the high sided tub becomes more difficult and an increased fall risk, so I am thinking of a shower only cabin on the Amsterdam.

I do know that the potential problem is that they are only in the bow and stern areas of the ship - rockier trip if it gets rough.

Thank you for your input.

I have noticed that more and more hotels are eliminating tubs in favor of showers only. Even though I enjoy a bath for soaking tired limbs, the small tubs in most hotel rooms and onboard do little for me and I am happy they are going away.

I do know that the potential problem is that they are only in the bow and stern areas of the ship - rockier trip if it gets rough.

Inside cabins have showers. Those I've had (Vista, S, and R) worked well - no water outside the shower stall.

Just off the Koningsdam, we had a Vista Suite which only had a shower. I only had a problem once with water when I didn't look at which way the shower head was pointed and created a little water on the floor.:eek:

It was a safety glass enclosed shower which was nice, no getting all tangled in a curtain. Good water pressure, hand held wand, lots of room.

Just off the Koningsdam, we had a Vista Suite which only had a shower. I only had a problem once with water when I didn't look at which way the shower head was pointed and created a little water on the floor.:eek:

It was a safety glass enclosed shower which was nice, no getting all tangled in a curtain. Good water pressure, hand held wand, lots of room.

Thats for the information - our next cruise is in a Vista on the Koningsdam and are looking forward to trying this out.

I have noticed that more and more hotels are eliminating tubs in favor of showers only. Even though I enjoy a bath for soaking tired limbs, the small tubs in most hotel rooms and onboard do little for me and I am happy they are going away.

Most of the new construction (even high end) have shower only, even in master suites. I'm talking about home in the $750k to $1million range.

I had a shower only cabin on the Amsterdam and liked it so much that I've requested one for my next cruse. (I, too, am a shower person.)

The cabin was in the bow of the ship. I didn't notice much movement.

Water pressure is good. I can't remember if it was a glass door or a shower curtain, but I know I didn't have any trouble with water going on to the floor.

(I've been in shower only cabins on other lines. The one had a glass door that didn't close correctly and I had to use towels to sop up the water. The other had a shower curtain that clung to you and didn't keep the water in the shower. So, I am aware of the problems that can happen.)

The handicapped accessible staterooms have only showers so those who are chair-bound can roll in. Some cruisers request an accessible stateroom for convenience of the shower arrangement.

This is not an acceptable reason for taking an accessible cabin! Some people really need them!!!

Thank you for your responses! For a year from now cruise it is the first time I have been aware of the shower only cabins on the ship. (Not including the wheelchair accessible cabins, I have known about them but gratefully never had to use one of them.)

Have used these cabins for years and love them! In a few cabins, they removed the tub and made the space into a huge shower with several hand holds in an ocean view cabin. The ones I usually book are near the front elevators and I have not had a huge issue with movement and I do get seasick - or noise. Never had a 'water in the room' issue as there is a small lip - okay, once the shower curtain was not correctly placed and there was water on the floor but it was my fault. These cabins are one of the best things HAL has done as I also am not that stable getting into and mainly out of a tub, but do not need an accessible cabin.

If one is still available as they go fast, do recommend you book it.

DW and I always prefer shower-only cabins (which is all you get on most other cruise lines) and have little use for bath tubs. The bath tub in our home has become a favorite storage place (for paper goods) as we only use our large shower. We have never understood the love affair between many seasoned HAL cruisers and the tubs. Just getting in and out of a tub is tough enough for those of us who are healthy and in decent shape....and we cannot imagine how lots of our fellow HAL cruisers can even get out of those things in one piece :).

Hank

DW and I always prefer shower-only cabins (which is all you get on most other cruise lines) and have little use for bath tubs. The bath tub in our home has become a favorite storage place (for paper goods) as we only use our large shower. We have never understood the love affair between many seasoned HAL cruisers and the tubs. Just getting in and out of a tub is tough enough for those of us who are healthy and in decent shape....and we cannot imagine how lots of our fellow HAL cruisers can even get out of those things in one piece :).

Hank

Additionally, the tubs in the oceanview cabins on HAL are only 3/4 tubs in actuality - They are woefully inadequate for soaking if you are much over 5' tall. While it sounds like a nice luxury they are fairly useless, and as you stated, a potential safety hazard. I wish they would convert them all to shower stalls as the ships go in for renovation, but highly doubt that would ever happen :D

Convenience IS the reason for an accessible cabin. they are first come, first served. They are not "reserved" for people who provide a doctor's note.

If the ship is sailing from a US homeport ADA regulations require the cruise lines to hold back accessible rooms for those who state a "need" for them, however the cruise line legally cannot require "proof". They should not appear in general inventory until all other rooms in the associated letter code category have been sold at which time they can be released to general sale.

That said, anyone can request an accessible room and state that they have a "need" for one and HAL will berth them in it.

This is not an acceptable reason for taking an accessible cabin! Some people really need them!!!

Convenience IS the reason for an accessible cabin. they are first come, first served. They are not "reserved" for people who provide a doctor's note.

I definitely have to side with KruiserKat on this issue. Accessible cabins were never designed for the "convenience" of run of the mill passengers anymore than handicap parking spaces were designed for the "convenience" of every shopper. Unfortunately, there are people who fail to realize that the "needs" of others should take precedence over their personal convenience. It's too bad that such selfishness exists.

First cruise on HAL we had no idea my wife's Jr. size wheelchair would not fit through cabin door. Fortunately 15 years ago she could walk in the cabin balancing against the walls and had a stool for use in the bathtub shower. Since then it has always been accessible cabins with roll-in shower - although she transfers to the flip down bench to keep the chair dry. I think the salient question for booking accessible or not just to get a shower is whether the "not" option is a show stopper for cruising at all.

One thing about the roll in showers as opposed to the glass door showers is they do tend to leak a little out to the rest of the bathroom (on RCCL anyway) despite the rubber bumper "dam" along the curtain line. With a little care to keep the curtain inside the barrier the rest of the bathroom can be kept dry.

I just looked at the deck plans for Oosterdam and it was interesting to see that the first couple decks with cabins have the * shower only symbol on the most forward and aft hallway cabins and higher up they are only in the aft locations and higher still there are no shower only non-accessible cabins. So seems that to the "ship planners" shower only is a less desirable "feature" whereas the opinions in this thread seem to lean the other way. Shower lovers are relegated to steerage I guess. ;)