Checking Luggage vs buying Toiletries in Port

Medtech2

Curious as to everyone's opinions about having to check luggage due to liquids, and thus incurring a $25 each way charge, vs buying sunscreen, mosquito spray, mouthwash, shampoo and conditioner in port and then having to toss them. We are cruising out of San Juan which is having a Zika outbreak.

How are drugstore prices there?

DH is undecided as to whether he wants to bring back booze. That would be another question. Do you think lower liquor prices make up for baggage fees?

$25 seems pretty reasonable to me to be able to take a larger bag, pack whatever I need in it, and not have to schlepp it around the airport between flights. And I don't like the idea of spending time in port chasing down essentials that I know I'll use a couple of times and then throw away the rest.

Are you sure it's $25 ? IF it is that's one way. So $50 round trip, plus your DH so that's $100 for the whole trip.

There's a couple of ways around your issue:

1. Most drug stores (CVS, Walgreens) sell travel size containers of toiletries. You'd be surprised how many of those bottles will fit in a one quart bag :)

2. Airlines have a branded credit card. They usually charge about $90 per year but you get one free checked bags per flight for every ticket you purchase with the card. So you'll cover the cost of the card with this one trip. (You usually can cancel anytime). You also get extra perks with the card. You can check it out on the airlines website.

So, if we can fit everything we need in a carry on, we use method one. If not we use a larger bag and method 2. We've never bought toiletries at our destination. Oh, and don't forget what the cruise line will supply in the way of toiletries...you may need to bring less than you think.

Edited by The Other Tom
clarity

Even for a week-long cruise, I've never had trouble fitting my shampoo/conditioner/sunscreen/mouthwash/other liquids into individual 3 oz. containers.

I've never understood people who travel with full-sized toiletries when they will only be traveling for a week or so. It takes months to go through a bottle of shampoo or a full-sized tube of toothpaste! Bring the travel-sized version!!!

This does not solve your issue about bringing home booze. Maybe one of you can check one bag on the way back, and fill it with rum. :)

There is a full service CVS location, 2 blocks across the street on the waterfront - diagonal across from the San Juan pier/terminal - in case you need to pickup any travel-sized toiletry items in excess of what each of you can stuff into the 3-1-1 bag as part of the carry-on luggage. Practically impossible to not find it, street level - walk past the Sheraton Hotel toward Polo Ralph Lauren & you will see.

DW has it down to a science filling hers with pump hair spray, assorted cosmetic lotions, cleanser, gels, into sturdy 100 ml. refillable bottles. There's always room in mine for tooth paste, mouthwash, and hand motion, etc. that she can't fit or extras for longer trips abroad.

There is a "duty-free" shopping area inside the terminal for eligible pax - not sure if those prices were competitive, however - LOL. Case in point, we just came back from a land trip north of the US border, cigarette sold in the official duty-free shop were $77 per cartoon with a limit of 2 vs. around $38 per cartoon on the ships - best prices were in ICN airport (South Korea) at just $18 USD per cartoon, with a limit of 1 per int'l pax. Do your homework ahead before buying liquor to come home with them ... on top of any applicable checked luggage fees (as noted, our UAL t card entitled us to the first checked bag to be free when flying UA metals.)

Edited by mking8288

Even for a week-long cruise, I've never had trouble fitting my shampoo/conditioner/sunscreen/mouthwash/other liquids into individual 3 oz. containers.

I've never understood people who travel with full-sized toiletries when they will only be traveling for a week or so. It takes months to go through a bottle of shampoo or a full-sized tube of toothpaste! Bring the travel-sized version!!!

This does not solve your issue about bringing home booze. Maybe one of you can check one bag on the way back, and fill it with rum. :)

I must be doing it wrong. The hubs and I go through a full tube of toothpaste in two weeks.

$25 seems pretty reasonable to me to be able to take a larger bag, pack whatever I need in it, and not have to schlepp it around the airport between flights. And I don't like the idea of spending time in port chasing down essentials that I know I'll use a couple of times and then throw away the rest.

That's $25 X 2 for the roundtrip.

After everything you have and will spent on the cruise, $25 each way is down in the noise. Plus, tourist drug store prices is gong to be triple what you can get the same items at home

Even if both check bags, the time in port (which is part of what your cruise fare buys) is worth something - why waste it looking for overpriced stuff you could have gotten much cheaper at home? Then, the luxury of having a few changes of clothes without washing socks and underwear every night might be considered. Finally, the savings possible by bringing liquor home in checked luggage is a factor.

And this is without needing to be smart enough to have an airline credit card or two which gives you free checked bags.

I've been carrying a 1 oz pump spray bottle of Repel 100 insect repellent for years now and have never used it. Two of these should be plenty for the both of you which you can purchase in advance and take through security since it is only 1 ounce.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/repel-100-insect-repellent-100-deet/ID=prod6141999-product?ext=msnPLA_-_All_Products(BSC)&kpid=sku6125537&sst=c3066c96-fede-4ccc-ba67-b6a873e55170

Now...Can you do without mouthwash for a few days, especially as much toothpaste as you use? If not, Walmart and other stores sell the travel sizes (which cost about the same as a larger bottle).

Is the shampoo on the ship not good enough for you? Do you think you could suffer through a few days of using their shampoo?

Do the two of you have pockets? Does your husband have a pair of cowboy boots? You could smuggle at least 4 tubes of toothpaste in the boots.

Your handle indicates you are some sort of medical technician. Do you not have access to small bottles that are 100 ml or less?

Edited by Lido_Deck

I've been carrying a 1 oz pump spray bottle of Repel 100 insect repellent for years now and have never used it. Two of these should be plenty for the both of you which you can purchase in advance and take through security since it is only 1 ounce.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/repel-100-insect-repellent-100-deet/ID=prod6141999-product?ext=msnPLA_-_All_Products(BSC)&kpid=sku6125537&sst=c3066c96-fede-4ccc-ba67-b6a873e55170

Now...Can you do without mouthwash for a few days, especially as much toothpaste as you use? If not, Walmart and other stores sell the travel sizes (which cost about the same as a larger bottle).

Is the shampoo on the ship not good enough for you? Do you think you could suffer through a few days of using their shampoo?

Do the two of you have pockets? Does your husband have a pair of cowboy boots? You could smuggle at least 4 tubes of toothpaste in the boots.

Your handle indicates you are some sort of medical technician. Do you not have access to small bottles that are 100 ml or less?

They wont need mouthwash there no room left in their mouths after all the toothpaste is in it.

They wont need mouthwash there no room left in their mouths after all the toothpaste is in it.

Actually, that was another poster that uses that much toothpaste. I saw they were from Tennessee and thought,

"Man...that's a lot of toothpaste for two teeth." :D

Even if both check bags, the time in port (which is part of what your cruise fare buys) is worth something - why waste it looking for overpriced stuff you could have gotten much cheaper at home? Then, the luxury of having a few changes of clothes without washing socks and underwear every night might be considered. Finally, the savings possible by bringing liquor home in checked luggage is a factor.

And this is without needing to be smart enough to have an airline credit card or two which gives you free checked bags.

Going to the drugstore takes about the same amount of time as waiting for checked luggage. I'd just bring travel size items, I don't like checking luggage.

Going to the drugstore takes about the same amount of time as waiting for checked luggage. I'd just bring travel size items, I don't like checking luggage.

Nobody likes checking luggage. I don't like hauling luggage around either, but I also do not like trying to live for two (or more) weeks - sometimes in different climate zones - out of a carry-on. Yes, it can be done - but sometimes enjoying life involves more than just getting by on what can be done.

Nobody likes checking luggage. I don't like hauling luggage around either, but I also do not like trying to live for two (or more) weeks - sometimes in different climate zones - out of a carry-on. Yes, it can be done - but sometimes enjoying life involves more than just getting by on what can be done.

But the OP just wants to check luggage for toiletries- not worth the hassle. No mention of 2+ weeks and climate changes.

toothpaste-on-tooth-brush-video-id544826244?s=640x640

Just copied and pasted this:

Most adults tend to think that it is necessary to cover the entire brushing surface of a toothbrush because of the way toothpaste is advertised on television. Liberal use of toothpaste is far too much; it is only necessary for adults to use an estimated pea sized dab of toothpaste to properly clean their teeth.

Just copied and pasted this:

Most adults tend to think that it is necessary to cover the entire brushing surface of a toothbrush because of the way toothpaste is advertised on television. Liberal use of toothpaste is far too much; it is only necessary for adults to use an estimated pea sized dab of toothpaste to properly clean their teeth.

Will you dental hygienists stop hijacking this thread? :rolleyes: