Checking Luggage vs buying Toiletries in Port

Medtech2

There is a full service CVS location, 2 blocks across the street on the waterfront - diagonal across from the San Juan pier/terminal - in case you need to pickup any travel-sized toiletry items in excess of what each of you can stuff into the 3-1-1 bag as part of the carry-on luggage. Practically impossible to not find it, street level - walk past the Sheraton Hotel toward Polo Ralph Lauren & you will see.

DW has it down to a science filling hers with pump hair spray, assorted cosmetic lotions, cleanser, gels, into sturdy 100 ml. refillable bottles. There's always room in mine for tooth paste, mouthwash, and hand motion, etc. that she can't fit or extras for longer trips abroad.

There is a "duty-free" shopping area inside the terminal for eligible pax - not sure if those prices were competitive, however - LOL. Case in point, we just came back from a land trip north of the US border, cigarette sold in the official duty-free shop were $77 per cartoon with a limit of 2 vs. around $38 per cartoon on the ships - best prices were in ICN airport (South Korea) at just $18 USD per cartoon, with a limit of 1 per int'l pax. Do your homework ahead before buying liquor to come home with them ... on top of any applicable checked luggage fees (as noted, our UAL t card entitled us to the first checked bag to be free when flying UA metals.)

Thanks! Very helpful.

I've been carrying a 1 oz pump spray bottle of Repel 100 insect repellent for years now and have never used it. Two of these should be plenty for the both of you which you can purchase in advance and take through security since it is only 1 ounce.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/repel-100-insect-repellent-100-deet/ID=prod6141999-product?ext=msnPLA_-_All_Products(BSC)&kpid=sku6125537&sst=c3066c96-fede-4ccc-ba67-b6a873e55170

Now...Can you do without mouthwash for a few days, especially as much toothpaste as you use? If not, Walmart and other stores sell the travel sizes (which cost about the same as a larger bottle).

Is the shampoo on the ship not good enough for you? Do you think you could suffer through a few days of using their shampoo?

Do the two of you have pockets? Does your husband have a pair of cowboy boots? You could smuggle at least 4 tubes of toothpaste in the boots.

Your handle indicates you are some sort of medical technician. Do you not have access to small bottles that are 100 ml or less?

Lol, you have confused me with someone else. I am not the big toothpaste user. However I DO have a tonsil problem whereby I need to gargle twice a day to deter infections.

And no, I do not have access to 100 ml. containers that have secure tops, outside of blood tubes, which btw would be stealing...

Thanks for the Walgreens Repel tip, though. I'll check out my local store as it's too late to ship.

Edited by Medtech2

Lol, you have confused me with someone else. I am not the big toothpaste user. However I DO have a tonsil problem whereby I need to gargle twice a day to deter infections.

And no, I do not have access to 100 ml. containers that have secure tops, outside of blood tubes, which btw would be stealing...

Thanks for the Walgreens Repel tip, though. I'll check out my local store as it's too late to ship.

Yes, I confused you with the person from Tennessee that uses vast quantities of toothpaste, but by the time I realized my error it was too late to edit.

Repel 100 is 100% Deet, so there is nothing better for mosquito repellent. Walgreen's, Walmart, CVS, Bass Pro Shop, etc., all stock it.

You can buy 100 ml bottles travel kits at Walmart which leaves only the mouthwash to buy in San Juan.

Just off the Escape last week and they had insect repellent that contains deet available at guest services free of charge. They did ask for your room number so my guess is just one per room.

They have been offering spray on most ships all year. In addition to out Caribbean cruises earlier in the year, we were offered spray for Zika on our Alaska cruise in August and Canada cruise last month.

All the big box stores sell individual items in travel size bottles (almost all are carry on legal) as well as packages of travel size items and plain empty bottles. I have a pet peeve about paying to check baggage, but toiletries don't factor into the equation. We don't use more than a travel size item in a week so plenty easy to pack. For us it just comes down to if we can get all the clothing items we need in a carry on. Can't comment on if the booze prices make it worthwhile, but have trouble imagining it would unless you were going to bring back a whole suitcase full.

Curious as to everyone's opinions about having to check luggage due to liquids, and thus incurring a $25 each way charge, vs buying sunscreen, mosquito spray, mouthwash, shampoo and conditioner in port and then having to toss them. We are cruising out of San Juan which is having a Zika outbreak.

How are drugstore prices there?

DH is undecided as to whether he wants to bring back booze. That would be another question. Do you think lower liquor prices make up for baggage fees?

There is no reason you can't do this with carry on. Off wipes are not considered a liquid. That problem is solved. Buy a couple 3.4 oz tubes of sunscreen, should be enough for the week. If not, buy that one item on arrival. How much shampoo and conditioner do you need for a week? Either buy the sample sizes at home or buy 100 ml containers--they sell them at most drugstores, beauty stores, etc.--and fill them with what you use at home. Use the mouthwash strips for the week.

The liquor prices aren't that much lower. I am not sure why people are hellbent on buying booze you can get at home for only a couple bucks more. I get it if you want a hi end rum or tequila not sold in the US, but anything else? The risk of the bottle breaking and cost to check a bag does not warrant saving a few dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curious as to everyone's opinions about having to check luggage due to liquids, and thus incurring a $25 each way charge, vs buying sunscreen, mosquito spray, mouthwash, shampoo and conditioner in port and then having to toss them. We are cruising out of San Juan which is having a Zika outbreak.

How are drugstore prices there?

DH is undecided as to whether he wants to bring back booze. That would be another question. Do you think lower liquor prices make up for baggage fees?

Buy liquor after clearing security in San Juan and you can carry it on the plane without charge.

As far as toiletries if you really don't want to check a bag then you can always buy it in San Juan. There is a drug store (CVS I think ) right near the pier. Our bags are free on Delta so we never try to buy stuff at the port.

I would agree that getting by on travel sizes is enough. Also, it seems TSA really isn't super strict. They say "liquids gels and aerosols" have to be put in that quart size ziplock. I never put my toothpaste in that ziplock. I also don't put my deodorant in there (even though it's technically a gel) or my gel-based sanitizer.

You can easily buy travel size refillable small pump bottles at Target or Walmart. We bought a big bottle of Repel Lemon Eucalyptus. I'm not a fan of Deet. Deet is more effective, but who knows what the long term effects are. Many websites advise that Lemon Eucalyptus or something with Picoraidin (sp?) are also effective. When we went to Disney recently, I want to say that they had these huge pump bottles of Picoraidin lotion at many counters.

We used those small refillable bottles and filled up a few bottles of the Repel.

Once on a cruise, my daughter forgot her toothbrush. Turned out the ship's store was out of them. We never could find one when we were in the ports, either.

Also, on a land resort vacation,we forgot the mosquito repellant. I was eaten alive with 70 mosquito bites on my legs the first night. The resort didn't have any repellant. Finally, 3 days later we finally rented a car to drive around the island, and halfway around we finally found a store that had mosquito repellent.

I would NOT take my chances that the port will have what you need.

As previously stated, you can easily avoid checked luggage fees with an airline branded or travel based credit card. Several of the airline cards provide for free checked luggage for the card holder and up to 4 travel companions. Some of the travel based cards reimburse you for airline fees up to a certain amount. Plus you sometimes get other perks like early boarding, companion passes, plus earning extra miles per flight.

For me, I always check a bag unless it's a short getaway weekend or a quick work trip. Anything over 3 days and I'm packing at least a medium sized bag. I like to have clothing and shoe options when I'm on vacation and, in addition to toiletries and sunscreen, I like to bring my own hair dryer, flat iron, etc. Too much for a carry-on.

I really like not having to schlep a bag through the airport. I check my bag and then I am free with just a small tote bag that holds my purse, sweater, tablet and water/snacks for the flight. Also it's really nice not to have to stress about getting overhead space on the super crowded flights these days.

Typically, by the time I exit the plane, stop at the ladies room and make my way to the baggage claim, it's only a minute or two before the bags start rolling out. Much less time than I would spend going to a store at my destination to buy everything I need.

Fly Southwest....and bring all the toiletries you want. For free!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, they are traveling this weekend so the fares on the new service from CHS to SJU starting this Saturday are pretty high and inconvenient in they would have to fly to BWI, change planes, then fly to SJU arriving after 7 hrs and 20 minutes of total travel time.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Not sure if this will help, but I nearly always travel with just a carry-on. Lots of products come in solids which help tremendously with the liquid limit. Sunscreen comes in a solid stick and shampoo/conditioner comes in solid form (Lush.com comes to mind). I am making my own lotion for my next trip. Looks super easy, cheap, and healthy (just cocoa butter, beezwax, and scented oil). Of course, you can purchase solid lotions too. Some people actually go so far as to use solid toothpaste (directions really easy on youtube). The 3-1-1 has not been a problem for me in years and packing cubes were a huge help also.

Unfortunately, they are traveling this weekend so the fares on the new service from CHS to SJU starting this Saturday are pretty high and inconvenient in they would have to fly to BWI, change planes, then fly to SJU arriving after 7 hrs and 20 minutes of total travel time.

Yes, Southwest was the first airline I checked on when I bought tickets, then Jet Blue. Routes are ridiculous and so not worth it...