Is my deposit toast?

voidstar

After the group I'm travelling with changed their travel plans, I'm trying to change my reservation (still 4 months away) to a longer, more expensive cruise, but RCI is treating this as a cancellation and taking my $200 deposit.

Has anyone had any luck convincing RCI to transfer a deposit to a different reservation? I'd even be happy for just part of it to be given as on-board credit. Just so that I feel a little bit less like I've been screwed. But the lady I spoke to on the phone absolutely wouldn't budge.

I was about to answer your question until I realized you're in Sydney.

Regulations can vary by country.

Not really concerned with regulations, just want to get them to show some customer goodwill to someone who's been loyal to their brand for many years and thousands of dollars...

Not really concerned with regulations, just want to get them to show some customer goodwill to someone who's been loyal to their brand for many years and thousands of dollars...

The reason they mentioned the regulation is because there are much stricter rules in the UK and Australia with cancellations. You might be able to find someone on the phone at RC who doesn't know the rule and will give you some compensation, but it is a pretty hard and fast rule that you lose your deposit out there, sorry :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have to be concerned since they may not be ALLOWED by law to show goodwill.

And why do you think you deserve it anyway? A lot of people have spent thousands of dollars. Why are you so special that they should break policy just for you?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And why do you think you deserve it anyway? A lot of people have spent thousands of dollars. Why are you so special that they should break policy just for you?

Why the nasty reply. Us folks outside of USA have different regulations. We pay higher prices and are treated differently? Why??

Why the nasty reply. Us folks outside of USA have different regulations. We pay higher prices and are treated differently? Why??

Because your countries have deemed it so with your laws. Don't like it, don't sail on American based lines. Or lobby to have the law changed. But do not blame the line by abiding by the law.

Ive tried to get them to show some goodwill towards a cruise I had booked in the UK , but no they cant show a gesture of good will its against their policy :( which is disappointing because I been treated more fairly by both NCL and MSC in the past , so my next RCI may be my last with the. Fingers crossed for you though

After the group I'm travelling with changed their travel plans, I'm trying to change my reservation (still 4 months away) to a longer, more expensive cruise, but RCI is treating this as a cancellation and taking my $200 deposit.

Has anyone had any luck convincing RCI to transfer a deposit to a different reservation? I'd even be happy for just part of it to be given as on-board credit. Just so that I feel a little bit less like I've been screwed. But the lady I spoke to on the phone absolutely wouldn't budge.

The answer to your question is very simple - Yes your deposit is toast.

You are not being screwed at all. You signed a contract and the contract is pretty clear on cancellation fees. I don´t see how you are screwed.

... you would think common sense would kick in and there would be some flexiability as you are trying to go for a more expensive longer cruise. I would suggest if they are refusing to move on this point that you add on another cruise with another cruise line after your RC cruise, if there is a suitable one available - that way you won't lose your deposit.

Because your countries have deemed it so with your laws. Don't like it, don't sail on American based lines. Or lobby to have the law changed. But do not blame the line by abiding by the law.

You should stop talking about Things you don´t have a clue about :rolleyes:

There is no law about this and there is no law prohibiting the cruiselines to change their cancellation policies.

Yes many countries have different consumer laws which might make it more expensive and risky to operate a Travel Business and thus there are different policies from Country to Country, but this said it´s not about making a cancellation Penalty mandatory.

The issue is with how the industry works. Outside North America many parts of the travel industry operate in a way that cancellation penalties start with putting down your deposit.

From a Business perspective this is the way more Logical System than the one used in the US. If I sell a product and sign a contract and the Service is only used and given sometime in the future it makes sense for me to have a way to ensure the spot I´m Holding for you is actually used and if not I at least get some compensation for it.

Actually I see the US heading this way as well, though it still might take some time. In the past in the US you were able to get Price adjustments past final payment date. They´ve got rid of that already, let´s see what´s next.

The Point is it´s usually something that Needs to be industry wide changes otherwise it won´t work in the Long run.

You say you have been loyal....if you are working your way up the loyalty ladder, perhaps Diamond or Diamond plus, I think you may find it useful to contact Crown and Anchor rather than switchboard sales and explain your feelings. I would also add you are looking at booking a more expensive cruise, you are aware of the regulations but are looking at a gesture of goodwill....

Nothing but a phone call to loose....

Actually I see the US heading this way as well, though it still might take some time. In the past in the US you were able to get Price adjustments past final payment date. They´ve got rid of that already, let´s see what´s next.

They could simply keep extending the final payment date further and further out - make it 120+(I think) days like in Australia as a first step, then 6 months. At that point it will have just about the same effect.

Ive tried to get them to show some goodwill towards a cruise I had booked in the UK , but no they cant show a gesture of good will its against their policy :( which is disappointing because I been treated more fairly by both NCL and MSC in the past , so my next RCI may be my last with the. Fingers crossed for you though

So you'll never sail on RCCL again because you agreed to a certain set of rules, signed the contract, changed your mind, and they wouldn't let you out of the contract? Why even have contracts if everyone thinks they should be "special" and let out of them? Why you and not me? We read all the time about people who refuse to buy trip insurance, then get angry at the cruise line for not refunding their money when they get sick and can't cruise.

Come on folks. As much as I liked it when we could get price reduction right up to sailing, I know that doesn't happen anymore. When I book a cruise I know EXACTLY what my options are. It's one thing to ask, and often people get some relief. But if not, so be it. I knew it going in. I can understand the disappointment, but not the outrage.

So you'll never sail on RCCL again because you agreed to a certain set of rules, signed the contract, changed your mind, and they wouldn't let you out of the contract? Why even have contracts if everyone thinks they should be "special" and let out of them? Why you and not me? We read all the time about people who refuse to buy trip insurance, then get angry at the cruise line for not refunding their money when they get sick and can't cruise.

Come on folks. As much as I liked it when we could get price reduction right up to sailing, I know that doesn't happen anymore. When I book a cruise I know EXACTLY what my options are. It's one thing to ask, and often people get some relief. But if not, so be it. I knew it going in. I can understand the disappointment, but not the outrage.

I never said I wanted to get out of a contract but was looking for a gesture of good will from RCI

The gesture of good will I was hoping for was some on board credit as a gesture of good will after the price of the cruise I booked dropped just 2 weeks later, even $25 would have been a good will gesture . Here in the UK we cant just cancel and re book as we loose our deposit. I am reading on these threads all the time about US bookers who get OBC after price drops . I have had good will gestures from both NCL and MSC in similar circumstances so yes this could possibly be the last time I book with RCI especially in advance, I could possibly book a last minute cruise to avoid price issues .

I never said I wanted to get out of a contract but was looking for a gesture of good will from RCI

The gesture of good will I was hoping for was some on board credit as a gesture of good will after the price of the cruise I booked dropped just 2 weeks later, even $25 would have been a good will gesture . Here in the UK we cant just cancel and re book as we loose our deposit. I am reading on these threads all the time about US bookers who get OBC after price drops . I have had good will gestures from both NCL and MSC in similar circumstances so yes this could possibly be the last time I book with RCI especially in advance, I could possibly book a last minute cruise to avoid price issues .

Your terms and conditions

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/pdf/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-UK-May-2016.pdf

Can't you treat it as a 'significant change' to the booking?

1.11 CAN I MAKE CHANGES TO MY BOOKING AFTER IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED?

Should you wish to make any changes to your confirmed holiday, you must notify us in writing or by telephone as soon as

possible. Whilst we will endeavour to assist, we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet any such requests. For guests wishing

to make a significant amendment to their booking outside of 56 days from departure, such as changing the ship, sail date, flights

or brand, please note that a booking transfer fee is applicable. Please note that any amendments for hotels, transfers and flights

may result in the loss of the amount that was collected at the time of booking for these additional components. The transfer

fee is £75 per guest which is limited to the first two guests on a booking, therefore any additional guests on the booking will

not be charged.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people feel the need to be nasty in their reply. If I were OP, I would be hoping for the same, fully aware of all the "contract" stuff.

I would call back and request to speak to a supervisor, or call C&A like someone else suggested. Be as nice as you possibly can. If they still won't budge, at least you know you gave it your best shot. If they won't give you what you are looking for, consider letting the deposit go and booking on a line where you were given goodwill treatment - reward them for their good practices.

OP here. Just spoke to a supervisor, who allowed me to amend my booking without losing my deposit "as a one time courtesy".

So many people here making this all about terms and conditions. I knew the terms and conditions were not in my favour. It was never about that, just about making a customer feel appreciated.