Ultimate Balcony dinner for 2

lorri111

My concern is that everybody always says there is way too much food. Looking at the size of the salad alone makes me wonder how in the world we could eat the whole dinner. We have a 28 day cruise coming up and have a Caribe balcony so it would be the ideal time to give this a whirl but it just seems like sooooooo much food!

We did ours at sail away from Corsica. As it was a port day we ate a normal breakfast, loads of walking and only a light lunch/snack. No stops on the Lido or IC for any extra snacks.

It's a well paced meal and we just about managed, but were defeated. We were able to save the desserts in the fridge for the next day. So all was not lost.

We loved it and I wouldn't hesitate booking it again. Although not sure a Northern route TA will be the best itinerary for using our balcony, but you never know. Might just have see if we can get seats at the Chef's Table and give that experience a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just looked at my personalizer and the cost is now $130. for dinner for two (for January 2018). Not a problem, but we want to book (and pay) for 2 couples. If I reserve online I would complete the request 2X? How will I advise them that it is for 4 people for one night, dining together. I know it will be cozy on a Caribe deck for 4, but that's fine. Isn't it? We're really hoping for a specific night, maybe I should wait and call when we board? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Just looked at my personalizer and the cost is now $130. for dinner for two (for January 2018). Not a problem, but we want to book (and pay) for 2 couples. If I reserve online I would complete the request 2X? How will I advise them that it is for 4 people for one night, dining together. I know it will be cozy on a Caribe deck for 4, but that's fine. Isn't it? We're really hoping for a specific night, maybe I should wait and call when we board? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

The larger Caribe deck balcony would work well for 4. ;)

I paid $130.00 for October that was with the exchange rate, it was still $100.00 us. Since we booked paying in Canadian funds when we book something online its in Canadian funds.

Canadian??

Hi everyone,

New member here! I was just wondering if the UBD is only for those who are looking for a romantic experience. I'm going to be cruising with my aunt, and I was thinking about requesting the UBD on the last night of cruising. I haven't ordered it yet, but there is a sign-up form on the cruise personalizer on the Royal Princess, so there is the opportunity to pay for it ahead of time, I thought. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Steve

You will have to pick another night... They don't do those the last night. Way too busy right before turnaround day!

I paid $130.00 for October that was with the exchange rate, it was still $100.00 us. Since we booked paying in Canadian funds when we book something online its in Canadian funds.

Interesting point, thanks for pointing that out! Depending on exchange, we generally are billed in USD, but I didn't realize they would be posting prices in CDN for us.:confused: And we did book this one with a CDN credit card at deposit.

We did ours at sail away from Corsica. As it was a port day we ate a normal breakfast, loads of walking and only a light lunch/snack. No stops on the Lido or IC for any extra snacks.

It's a well paced meal and we just about managed, but were defeated. We were able to save the desserts in the fridge for the next day. So all was not lost.

We loved it and I wouldn't hesitate booking it again. Although not sure a Northern route TA will be the best itinerary for using our balcony, but you never know. Might just have see if we can get seats at the Chef's Table and give that experience a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

29260069453_17803470db.jpg

We did the last two Northern Route T/A's on the CB. We did the UBD on v2016. If memory serves me right, we did it in the evening before we arrived in Boston. We had perfect weather and it was a fantastic experience.....:):):)

Bob

Has anyone done the Balcony dinner on a regular balcony on the Regal/Royal? Is there enough room? I would like to do this but am a bit concerned as the balconies are a tad tight!

We enjoyed the UBD on the Royal during sailaway from Barcelona on a regular 9'x4' balcony.

We previously had the UBD on other ship's standard 9'x5' & larger 9'x9' balconies and even inside due to inclement weather. The table is placed next to the railing so how much room there was between the table & the sliding glass door didn't affect our enjoyment of the UBD. The various sizes affected how much room the waitstaff had when delivering our courses but for us the view, meal & service were great including on a Royal-class ship.

Yes it was an amazing experience! We did it while in port at St Maarten at sunset! Lovely! Never felt so pampered and so full!

My question is can you do this if you have an inside room? They could arrange to have it elsewhere. The sanctuary would be nice.

Yes it was an amazing experience! We did it while in port at St Maarten at sunset! Lovely! Never felt so pampered and so full!

My question is can you do this if you have an inside room? They could arrange to have it elsewhere. The sanctuary would be nice.

Yes, as noted earlier in this thread, and others, they will do it in an inside room. I'd frankly be pretty surprised if they would set it up elsewhere on the ship, given how many people may want to do so - even those in balcony cabins or suites, and the extra manpower to set-up and clean-up... Plus lack of privacy.. Doesn't hurt to ask but don't hold your breath..

My question is can you do this if you have an inside room?

Yes, as noted earlier in this thread, and others, they will do it in an inside room. I'd frankly be pretty surprised if they would set it up elsewhere on the ship, given how many people may want to do so - even those in balcony cabins or suites, and the extra manpower to set-up and clean-up... Plus lack of privacy.. Doesn't hurt to ask but don't hold your breath..

I skimmed through this thread & didn't notice any posts about having the UBD in an interior cabin. I did have it moved inside of our balcony cabin due to inclement weather but don't think there's sufficient room in an interior cabin.

In a couple of months we're sailing in an interior cabin & the UBD does not even show as an option in our Cruise Personalizer. I've never read of anyone having the UBD in an interior cabin.

Aft balcony is fantastic for UBD. As I understand it, there are two "official" time slots for UBD, 6:00pm and 8:00pm, so check your itinerary for great places you're sailing out of around those times. We've done it twice, first in a starboard-side mini leaving Skagway, Alaska (take a look here Cruise2015-5065 and arrow-right to see the rest of the pictures) and the views were phenomenal as you'll see. It did get cold/windy outside by dessert time, so we relocated inside (fully handled by the staff). Second time was in an aft-facing full suite (plus my folks from a mini) leaving Mazatlan, Mexico. I do wish Mazatlan was a little more picturesque, but it was the right choice time-wise for our itinerary. Fair warning: my wife and I are "into" photography, and I took my lights for the Mexico trip, so your UBD pictures probably won't end up as good (my wife really liked the mini-spotlight shining down on the flowers...), but take a look at our dinner here Cruise-508 and arrow-right to scroll through the pictures.

If you choose the lobster, do you automatically get two tails? And two filets?

Thanks for sharing! Awesome pix!

If you choose the lobster, do you automatically get two tails? And two filets?

Thanks for sharing! Awesome pix!

My recollection is that during the ordering phone call, you need to be ready to specify:

1) What cocktail each person wants

2) Which main course (2x filets, 2x lobster tails, or the combo of 1x filet and 1x tail)

2a) If filet, desired doneness

Last time we did it, we asked to trade the half bottle of champagne for a comparably priced bottle of wine, and were turned down for that. I'd like to blame it on a language barrier, but that language barrier seemed to extend from the person who took the initial order to the person who called us to confirm our arrangements, so I don't really know the obstacle there. If in fact this should still be allowed, then:

3) If you'd like to trade the half-bottle of champagne for a comparably priced bottle of wine, you should know your choice at this time

It's a shame they don't offer it as an option in the Sanctuary for those without balconies. A couple of tables a night, one on each side of the Sanctuary, woudl work well. We'd certainly book it if it was available as we often cruise in inside cabins.