Price drop for a few hours??

sanger727

The TA to Rome next April offered several very good price drops; then came the drop and back up again very fast. One really needs to stay on top of things on a daily basis to really find the deals. I was able to get my friends great prices, but being in a suite myself didn't allow for anything. They keep going up; however, i was able to get the suite I wanted earlier, so that in itself is nice to think about before the cruise! You can't take it with you!!!

I saw a price drop on my Bermuda cruise (June 2017) last night and I called and saved $300. At first the representative said that there was no reduction but he eventually found the price that I saw on the website. I kept all of the perks (Go Best). I received a new confirmation and everything was correct.

I already had the price reduced 2 times. I check every once in a while and hope I get lucky.:D

For September 3 sailing - CC are cheaper than balconies. And most of " sweet sixteen" are available.WOW;)

Sometimes significantly lower prices appear for only a half hour at a time. We were very lucky about 6 weeks before the Apr 2016 Jewel OTS 15 night TA and got a balcony for only $486 each. The special price appeared for 30 minutes then disappeared. DW asked how come I hadn't booked it! The next morning it reappeared and we booked it. Keep watching and you too could get lucky like we did.

I missed a price reduction for a 2B cabin on our next cruise. The big box ta rep couldn't reach Celebrity, told me they were closed for the night. I was a bit suspicious, but we were visiting the west coast and the rep told me that Celeb's offices were on Eastern time. Next day, prices were back up.

About 6 weeks ago, when I got home from work and checked email there was a notice of a bargain price for C3 cabins on that sailing. I immediately called the ta and snagged the deal- a C2 on the slant midship for the C3 price, keeping the prepaid grats and classic bev at a savings of $1600!! This was a better deal than the one

I'd missed.

I let our friends sailing with us know about the bargain in Concierge. They use a different ta, located in a brick/mortar office in the Villages FL, but affiliated with a well-known expedient internet agency. Their ta got them a good deal and they moved to C2s as well, but not as great a savings as ours.

Edited by TMLAalum

Yesterday, while checking out a top 20 travel deal email I get eachweek, I saw a cruise listed. Since we love cruising, I clicked on it and it took me to my TA website. I decided to check on our 11/2017 Reflection cruise and was surprised to see the Concierge Class listed at $300 @person less than we were paying. I checked on X website and the rate listed was $200 less @person. I called my TA and asked if we could get either a rate reduction without giving up our C2 hump balcony and without losing our perks (drinks, gratuities, OBC) or if we could upgrade to Aqua since it was listed on the TA website for $100 less than we were paying for a concierge C2 and listed on X website as the same price we were paying for the C2. TA said they'd see what was possible and call back. They did and gave us the choice of either $400 price reduction on our C2 with a loss of $100 OBC that was non-combinable with rate or upgrade to Aqua A1 at price of original booking with all the perks we had previously. We took the Aqua and got a nice hump balcony.

I called a friend who has a January 2018 Eclipse cruise scheduled and told them to check. They got their fares reduced $225 per person this morning and kept the same perks. Guess it pays to keep an eye on those long range bookings.

:D

My largest two "short term price reductions" were @ 11 mo pre-cruise and 15 mo pre-cruise...so clearly not "last minute" sales.

One was just after midnight and gone by 8AM same day. I saved about 45% and kept same perks and cabin. Assume this was an IT error by X because the first two digits of the price we reversed on the price...to my huge advantage.

The other was daytime...aprox. 9:30am to 11:30am. Saved about 30%. But not same cabin. Was in 1A, new cabin 1B. (same perks) I can live with a bit smaller balcony on a port intensive cruise (and save about $2800/cabin) It was just prior to a BOGO price "sale". Looks like X changed to lower price on the 2nd person in the cabin (before it actually increased the price for first ... as the Shell Game typically is done)

Keep monitoring your prices!

We typically book inside the final payment window. But if we do not we check the prices often. More than once we have taken advantage of a price decrease and then seen the price increase again the next day, or within hours.

Even if we do not have a cruise booked we scan the various offers for cruises on our bucket list. We booked a Feb Princess cruise two weeks ago when doing just that. The price was in our wheel house so we booked immediately.

The trick is two fold. Understand the prices and be willing to jump on a good fare immediately. IF you have booked well in advance check your fares on a regular basis. Not just for re-pricing but also for moving up to better cabin cats, obtaining more perks etc, for the same or or a lower fare. It is easy money that we use to elongate our travels.

Its seems to be a bit pot luck on the pricing, we had been looking at a Med cruise but it was showing £2k pp on our T/A and Celebrity sites for the cabin type we wanted which seemed a lot compared with other med cruise of the same length/time.

I kept monitoring and "hey presto" about 2 weeks ago it came down to around £1600 for the cabin we wanted, on the celebrity and T/A site so we booked it.

This week its back up to nearly £2k again on both the T/A and Celebrity site.

I presume there is some logic to the pricing based on how sales are going ... but maybe there isn't

My largest two "short term price reductions" were @ 11 mo pre-cruise and 15 mo pre-cruise...so clearly not "last minute" sales.

One was just after midnight and gone by 8AM same day. I saved about 45% and kept same perks and cabin. Assume this was an IT error by X because the first two digits of the price we reversed on the price...to my huge advantage.

The other was daytime...aprox. 9:30am to 11:30am. Saved about 30%. But not same cabin. Was in 1A, new cabin 1B. (same perks) I can live with a bit smaller balcony on a port intensive cruise (and save about $2800/cabin) It was just prior to a BOGO price "sale". Looks like X changed to lower price on the 2nd person in the cabin (before it actually increased the price for first ... as the Shell Game typically is done)

Keep monitoring your prices![/QUOT

Since it was after midnight did you put the cabin on hold or were you able to contact Celebrity immediately to get the price reduction? Thanks for all the great tips. :)

Two days ago, I went to the website to do a quick price check on our June 2017 cruise, and found a small price drop, but nonetheless one that made me very happy.

We kept all the perks and saved $260 (total). With the savings, I increased our budget for our pre-cruise hotel, and booked a concierge room at the Miami epic hotel!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you utilize the 24 hour hold, can your TA get you the same stateroom from your original booking?

Thanks!

We have done that.

We also have found a deal before that we saw and grabbed, and then it was gone in a flash. We were able to upgrade from a sky suite to celebrity suite for either the same or even LESS than the sky. Transferred it and we were able to keep the perks. Our online TA even gave us more OBC because the room technically is an upgrade even though we paid about the same.

I looked quickly on the Celebrity site today and saw another reduction. This is about 1200 since we booked onboard last spring for a SI this coming spring. A total of 3 calls.

I added a back to back to it a few weeks and have now been given a 560 dollar reduction it.

Got to keep the same perks all along.

I have used the same guy at Celebrity for several years and just shoot him emails when I see a drop. He usually responds "done" with an hour.

Sometimes significantly lower prices appear for only a half hour at a time. QUOTE]

How true. Several years ago around 11PM I saw a wonderful price on a cruise we had been somewhat interested in. I immediately told my wife and we decided to go for it. But when I returned to the Celebrity site, the wonderful price was gone. I figured someone beat us to the last available cabin. Such is life, but before retiring I checked one last time. And there it was again. This time there was no hesitation. A happy ending.

This is quite amazing. DW and I have a cabin reserved on a December 2017 cruise. That's so far out that it's hardly worth thinking about, but thanks to you good folks here, I checked the prices and just now got an $800 reduction. I'd buy each of you a drink, if I only knew how :) That's more than $1000 in savings since we booked in April.

Edited by BosoxI

This is quite amazing. DW and I have a cabin reserved on a December 2017 cruise. That's so far out that it's hardly worth thinking about, but thanks to you good folks here, I checked the prices and just now got an $800 reduction. I'd buy each of you a drink, if I only knew how :) That's more than $1000 in savings since we booked in April.

Which cruise are you on and what type of cabin? I am looking for a good deal for next year.

Which cruise are you on and what type of cabin? I am looking for a good deal for next year.

An S1 on the 12/10/17 Eclipse sailing, but I believe the prices have dropped on every category.

How badly do you want to go and how much of a gambler are you? Waiting until after final payment can yield the best prices IF cabins are available and IF you'll accept a guarantee. Last week we got an Aqua A1 on the Eclipse's 2016 Christmas sailing for a pittance, but it was a guarantee.

An S1 on the 12/10/17 Eclipse sailing, but I believe the prices have dropped on every category.

How badly do you want to go and how much of a gambler are you? Waiting until after final payment can yield the best prices IF cabins are available and IF you'll accept a guarantee. Last week we got an Aqua A1 on the Eclipse's 2016 Christmas sailing for a pittance, but it was a guarantee.

Was it an Aqua Guarantee? Did it include any perks? How much? I love to hear about the deals. We are still working so we have to work around vacation time. But the kids are all grown so we can take vacation any time.

We had Dec 11 Eclipse cruise reserved with C3 for over a year. It was 3400 including tax, 300 obc, beverage, and tips. I was hesitant to keep it because it was going to consume all our vacation. I cancelled right before final payment. Prices went down. I rebooked Concierge guarantee. For 3200 I have C3, 575 obc, premium beverage, tips, unlimited internet, airfare from Detroit, and insurance. I feel like I got much better deal after final payment. My cabin is not as good as my original but still not bad. I really wanted an Aqua because they had great deals but I waited too long and they were gone.

Yes, it was an Aqua guarantee, available very briefly. No perks but the price was so low that perks are not a consideration. Plus, we get benefits from Elite+ status, so the perks are less important. I would gladly mention price but feel awkward doing so.

Sounds like you got a great deal. Hope you can match it next year.

How do you get a price alert?

Thanks!

There are several "cruise fare monitoring sites". Google should be helpful in your search. We are not allowed to post these on Cruise Critics. It would be a bit "fishy".;) :):D:p

The one I use charges $1.00 (yes, one dollar) per cruise monitored. It's a WHALE of a deal!:p

Yes, it was an Aqua guarantee, available very briefly. No perks but the price was so low that perks are not a consideration. Plus, we get benefits from Elite+ status, so the perks are less important. I would gladly mention price but feel awkward doing so.

Sounds like you got a great deal. Hope you can match it next year.

Maybe I shouldn't have put out so many prices and details. I do excited about a deal. They had Aqua guarantee's without perks on this sailing for 999 but they went pretty fast. I am not sure how much the Aqua's with perks were at the same time. I'll keep my eyes out for some good deals for next year. My hubby is not as much of a cruise fan like me. He enjoys them but I love them. Hope you have a great cruise! :)