Driving from Orlando to Miami

bradleyskis

Alright we are heading to Orlando for a few days before our cruise out of Miami. We already have a car rented and will be driving from our Orlando resort and dropping it off at the Miami airport and taking a shuttle to the port. Cruise is December 31st. Any tips on best/fastest route to Miami? I figure I will check out maps and stuff but maybe somebody can help me out as well? TIA

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Forums mobile app

There's basically two ways to get from Orlando to Miami. The Turnpike or I-95. The turnpike is a toll road while I-95 is free. Both ways are good unless you run into traffic or an accident. Both roads can be big trouble if there's a slowdown.

Your cruise starts on New Years Eve and a Saturday, so traffic could be bad. You may want to consider driving down a day early and stay in a hotel in Miami.

Good luck.

Don

Please WWE check the travel time. I seem to remember the time you are quoting as the time to Ft. Lauderdale. Add another 45 minutes to Miami with no traffic. I would leave at 7. Or better yet, do as a previous poster suggested and drive at least part of the way the day before cruise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I dont know who you rented the car from but you might look at Avis for a pick up in Orlando and a drop off at the Avis Cruise port. I believe the Avis code is QM8. It is a few blocks from the port and they have a free shuttle that runs between 8 am and 1pm. This would save you the shuttle fees from the airport but only if you are comfy driving in downtown Miami

The easiest way is to take the turnpike. If you want to save some toll money you csn switch over to I-95 at Ft. Pierce. The roads parallel each other all the way to Miami. Its about 3 1/2 hour drive, with not much to see. I would leave a little earlier than 7am, never know what will happen on Florida roads.

The easiest way is to take the turnpike. If you want to save some toll money you csn switch over to I-95 at Ft. Pierce. The roads parallel each other all the way to Miami. Its about 3 1/2 hour drive, with not much to see. I would leave a little earlier than 7am, never know what will happen on Florida roads.

We do this one every couple of years. I typically take I-95 because of tolls, but our rental covered the tolls this year so I took the turnpike. One seems as fast as the other. Both have a lot of traffic early in the morning. I-95 seems to have more opportunities to stop for a break. I would count on 4 hours that time of year and week.

Burt

We done the turnpike a few times, no troubles. We all ways add a 2 extra hours to our trip for stops, slow downs est. however never had an issue. Enjoy.

Good point - there is sufficient likelihood of slowdowns on that dreary drive to allow two hours above the three and a half possible. That means getting a very early start - which means going to sleep early the night before - which raises the question: why not leave Orlando the afternoon before and spending the night an easy hour away from cruise terminal -- so your first day on board does not start worn out.

Good point - there is sufficient likelihood of slowdowns on that dreary drive to allow two hours above the three and a half possible. That means getting a very early start - which means going to sleep early the night before - which raises the question: why not leave Orlando the afternoon before and spending the night an easy hour away from cruise terminal -- so your first day on board does not start worn out.

Yeah I am starting to think more about it. Just don't want to spend extra money we don't need to if possible. Have a resort booked for the week before cruise through bil timeshare so that was a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Forums mobile app

Turnpike through the Florida hinterlands, not boring at all if you know something about Florida's nature and cattle industry, for example, why do the small forests that dot the landscape have their highest trees in the center? How did the Florida cattle industry start? Are there alligators in the water filled ditches and canals along the turnpike?

No traffic until you reach the densely populated coast. We always stay on the turnpike, we don't switch to I-95. By the time we reach Miami or Fort Lauderdale, commuter traffic has died down. I have never experienced the same kind of dense traffic that was my daily scourge in the tristate area north of NY City.

Edited by Floridiana

Even living in Southwest Florida, we drive down the night before the cruise and stay in a reasonable hotel. Both the Turnpike and I95 have the potential for serious delays. I prefer the Turnpike, with somewhat less traffic and fewer exits for cross traffic. When one road is backed up many people switch to the other one, creating another delays. Better to be in position for the cruise without the anxiety when you have a whole day to work out being in the right place.

I live in Orlando and drive often to Miami. Get the Waze App on your phone and enter the destination. The App will give you when to leave and update your route according to the traffic. I would leave at least 4 hours before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums