How many bags can I take?

Hootchiemama

Husband and I are sailing on solstice on Monday 14 November. We're wondering how many suitcases we can take on board. We think we're going to have 3 large suitcases and a overnight bag. Wondering if this will be allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never heard of a limit of the number of bags you can bring. And in fact, you drop them off with the porters, so they will accept everything you give them as long as you have enough luggage tags. How long are you going? Can't imagine filling up for 4 bags between 2 people.

There is no need for the slightest concern about having "enough luggage tags" because you can get as many luggage tags as you want when you check in your bags at the pier.

You can either tag the bags yourself, or let the porters tag them for you.

As others have said, you can bring as many bags as you want.

The concern will be where to put all that stuff when you unpack, unless you have booked a large suite. :D

We once shared a van with a woman who was quite the fashion diva, explaining how she needed her 6 large suitcases to hold all her outfits.

There we were, the peasants embarking on the same cruise with only one carry-on bag and one "personal item" each. ;)

But not all who travel with extra luggage are fashion divas.

Some need to bring along medical equipment or other necessities that most passengers do not require.

Edited by varoo

Husband and I are sailing on solstice on Monday 14 November. We're wondering how many suitcases we can take on board. We think we're going to have 3 large suitcases and a overnight bag. Wondering if this will be allowed?

Despite your paucity of information it will be allowed. Please tell us you are'nt packing pool towels.

Or auto-inflating lifejackets

Thanks everyone, the cruise is for 14 days but we're staying in Sydney for 4 nights prior to the cruise.

Wow, we just did 7 weeks driving holiday in the US! Covered 5000 miles and 11 states, then got on a 14 day T/A home. We took 1 suitcase each and still packed evening gowns (2), a tux, another suit and a change of outfit for every evening. We always look smart (if I say so myself). What I cut down was things like shoes, tried to match a pair to several outfits, the same with bags. Fewer swimsuits and coverups. I looked upon it as a challenge! Driving in the states was more casual with shorts and t shirts and making use of laundry facilities in hotels.

Next week we are on a 7 night sailing and we will still have 2 suitcases. This time I will take as many shoes as I want!

Enjoy your trip.

We traveled with friends that brought 4 large suitcases for just the woman. It was for a 16 night TA with a few days in Rome after the cruise. She looked gorgeous and I never saw her wear the same thing twice, while we were sending out the wash every few days. They were in a CS so had plenty of storage.

We got a good chuckle out of it (and she laughed about it herself), especially when we docked in Rome and they were dragging 6 suitcases plus carry ons around looking for their transfer. We are cruising with them again soon on a 14night cruise - it will be interesting to see how many suitcases she brings this time.

I am bad about overpacking since I have wished for things I didn't pack in the past, but try to subscribe to the saying "pack your suitcases, then repack them later taking out half of the stuff (and bring twice as much money as you thought you would need)." I think everyone needs to picture themselves moving the baggage around in various places (and think about losing some precious room in the cabin since about 4 cases seem to fit under the bed) and then bring whatever makes them happy.

Edited by vtcruising

The cruise line will allow you to take as many suitcases as you want but remember there is limited space to store them. If you are flying to meet the ship the airlines limit the number of items you can take.

Four large suitcases with carry-ons inside will easily fit under the bed. By the way, most airlines will allow you to check 10 bags per person if you can pay for them.

I think I read somewhere that technically the limit is 200 pounds. We did a TA a couple of years ago and when we showed up for dinner there was a young couple at the table. It was obviously their first cruise and they seemed very timid about everything. He was french and she was american.

After a bit of discussion we found out that she studied abroad in Paris, they met and fell in love and married and lived in Paris 5 years. They had decided to move the US for better employment and were headed to Ohio to be near her parents. She had done a lot of research and found that the cruise would be the most economical way to get from point A to point B. She said the inlaws drove them to the port with a trailer and they had 12 suitcases with all their belongings. They said the porter had a funny look on his face and said "do you know how big the cabins are?". They had an inside cabin and she said she had everything stowed. I did inform her that she should talk to the cabin steward and he could stow things they didn't need for the duration of the trip.

2 ladies from NJ joined us at our dinner table and it was interesting to pull this couple out of their shell. It was obvious that they were on a strict budget and had nothing extra to enjoy the cruise. The 2 ladies enjoyed bottles of wine at dinner and kindly shared with the couple nightly. We had extra internet minutes we were able to give them to sort out some banking issues they had so they would have money when they arrived in Ohio.

We asked for them to keep in touch to let us know how they were making out with the new adventure but unfortunately we never heard from them.

It made for a memorable cruise for us and still joke about the 12 suitcases.

I always bring one large (either 25" or 29") and a carry on (18-19"). With the 29" suitcase, I can't fit it under the bed because the bottom end is deeper than the top end.

On a S-class ship, I can "hide" it between the sofa and window behind the drapes. The 25" fits easily under the bed.

When I was on the Serenade this past spring, I had to have it standing on one wall near the desk. It was out in the open but we could walk by it without any problems.

Monica

We drive to the ports in our own car so that allows us to bring what we want. I also never wear the same thing twice and I don't want to send my nice clothes to be boil washed at 100 degrees! I don't knock anyone who travels light, I could, it is just not for me. I love shoes and purses so take what I want on that score too. I was in uniform for over 2 decades so love to wear what I want now.

Next cruise is a 14 dayer, I have a large/deep upright Samsonite EZ Cart old style, we bought a couple 16 years ago and I don't go anywhere without mine it has all the shelving too so really great piece of kit, it has a T bar handle and you push it in front of you like a cart, so no struggling, it is wide enough for another bag on top which I utilize every time!

I also take a large size upright roller suitcase, mainly shoes/handbags, beachware, and a large wheeled suiter bag for my evening outfits. Again relatively easy to handle.

Hand luggage, I take a roll on, one of these business types ones with slot for laptop and then wee compartment for an outfit sort of thing, so electronics/valuables and a few items of clothing just in case in this one, oh and of course there is my handbag which will be something designer and probably unsuitable for cruising but will match what I am wearing!

Yes I guess I am that Fashionista!:D

OH will have large suitcase, large wheeled suiter and a little backpack designed for electronics. Maybe a wee roll on cabin size too if needed.

(We also need laptops/tablet/phones as we both run our own businesses and need to be able to do a little work each day).

We also have another larger item that we need to bring, so we are definitely laden down but I wouldn't have it any other way. Being ex military we are both used to lugging kit everywhere with 5 decades service between us, but these days it is for fun

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I always bring one large (either 25" or 29") and a carry on (18-19"). With the 29" suitcase, I can't fit it under the bed because the bottom end is deeper than the top end.

On a S-class ship, I can "hide" it between the sofa and window behind the drapes. The 25" fits easily under the bed.

When I was on the Serenade this past spring, I had to have it standing on one wall near the desk. It was out in the open but we could walk by it without any problems.

Monica

We have a case that same size with one end larger as well. We open it up when we put it under the bed, it fits fine, albeit tightly.

My brother and sister in law always just take one carry one for a week of traveling. Unless we are someplace we need to haul all the bags around then we don't see the need to reduce to a carry on. We like clean clothes and don't care for the ship laundry except for socks and underwear.

Now when we went on a safari we were strictly limited to what we could take and it was small for even carry on size due to flights. But it was fine, we made it :)

Oh and we drive to the port so it's no issue. Hand to the porter and we are off.

As many as will fit in your cabin. However, for a 14 + 4 day trip why do you need so much. We have traveled for 2+ months with 1 suitcase each plus a carry on plus my rucksack for my electrons.

BTW - I own a Mazda Miata and have done road trips w the Miata. Have you ever looked at the size of the trunk in a Miata and also at the absence of storage areas inside the cabin. You learn to pack light. On the other hand, we did a 3 month road trip in Alaska w my Honda Accord. We packed the car on that trip. In fact, we could barely fit the 3 cases on wine we bought in Okanagan into the car especially as my wife had me taking the wine out every night so that it did not get too warm in the car - LOL!!

DON

Edited by donaldsc

wrk2cruise wrote:

"I think I read somewhere that technically the limit is 200 pounds. "

I have never seen this. Can you cite a source, please?

I remember reading this years ago. It was probably in the cruise contract at the time. It no longer mentions this. Here is what is in the cruise docs for my cruise next week:

Baggage Advice

Each passenger is permitted to carry a reasonable amount of personal

property (including luggage) aboard the vessel; however, for your

comfort and convenience, it is recommended that you limit the number

of pieces you take

Frankly I don't know how they would limit what you drop at the pier and get delivered to your stateroom.

I always laugh at the people who think it is a badge of personal honour, or distinction or something....to go on a cruise (or any vacation) with all their worldly goods packed in a shopping bag.

We usually take at least a full-sized suitcase each. Plus a carry-on or two. They fit fine under the beds....and we never have a problem finding storage for clothes and shoes. I can use the laundry, but I prefer not to. It is our problem if we have to heave them around anywhere else.

..and if you have status on the airline, you don't pay for bags.

I always laugh at the people who think it is a badge of personal honour, or distinction or something....to go on a cruise (or any vacation) with all their worldly goods packed in a shopping bag.

We usually take at least a full-sized suitcase each. Plus a carry-on or two. They fit fine under the beds....and we never have a problem finding storage for clothes and shoes. I can use the laundry, but I prefer not to. It is our problem if we have to heave them around anywhere else.

..and if you have status on the airline, you don't pay for bags.

I don't just have status on the airline, I have status full stop.