Explorer's Inaugural Atlantic Crossing: A Joint Live Blog

Mr Rumor

Lol. I wish. Their wines are so good that the only way to describe them is like heavenly bliss. We shipped a case home along with another case and a half and some ceramics purchased during this trip. When I get the credit card bill I will take a positive outlook on the fact that we've earned a LOT of frequent flyer miles on this trip with our card.

Jackie: make sure to find us tomorrow!!!

On a negative note, our good friends Karen and John (1teach53) had to cancel this cruise due to a sudden illness. We sure hope they will be ok and will sorely miss them.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear about Karen and John - we were looking forward to meeting them!

One way or the other, you will be found! We received a letter this morning saying that we can move at 10:00 a.m. If possible, I would love to go outside and look for someone with a medical boot on their foot:D

Leaving here in about two hours...... next stop - Rome!

What a day, what a long day! So long that we logged more than 16,000 steps, or six miles. So long that it took a tour director and two tour guides doing a tag team to tend to us. So long that we were a little late to the Colisseum and were nearly refused entrance. (The animated Italian spoken at the gate was something to behold before the gate was grudgingly opened.) So late that when we finally made it back to the Parco dei Principi at close to 7 p.m., more than 11 hours after we set out, several couples declared "Basta!" and passed on the final event of the Cherished Relics of Rome schedule: dinner at a neighborhood restaurant (il Pomodorino, for the record). So long that I had to refer again to the program to remember everything we did, as follows:

Tour of the Vatican Museums, including the Sistine Chapel, without a doubt the glorious high point for me. (But why, I wondered, after being allowed to photograph every precious painting, sculpture and tapestry on the long and winding route to the Chapel were we not allowed to photograph in the Chapel itself?) Tour of St. Peter's Basilica. Lunch in Piazza Navona (Osteria Della Coppelle). Drive to the Colosseum for inside tour. Walk to San Clemente Basilica for tour of the "archaeological excavations." A short stop at the Trevi Fountain. Gelato treat at Gelato di Crispino (I had Stracciatella with Creole Cocoa and Chocolate Meringue--scrumptious). Aforementioned dinner (I attended with the blessing of DW.)

Although it was a lot to take in, we're happy we signed up for "Cherished Relics." We definitely feel as if we got our money's worth. Just wish at the moment that we had our traditional embarkation lunch to look forward to in La Veranda tomorrow. But, alas, it doesn't seem fated to be. Even though we need to check out of our room at 10 a.m., the bus isn't scheduled to transport us to Civitavecchia until 1:15, which means we have three hours to kill at the hotel (have to try to keep the wife away from last-minute Rome shopping), and won't even board the Explorer until close to 3. Oh, well, we're survive--after all, the cruise we've been looking forward to for more than a year and a half finally sets sail tomorrow!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Rich: after reading your post, it sounds as if we may have crossed paths several times yesterday. Why no pics at the Sistine chapel? It has to do with copyright agreement between the Vatican and the company who paid to restore the chapel.

Yesterday was a very exciting one with visits to the Vatican, other churches to see their art and our Marriott meet and greet. Due to our early arrival at the Vatican, Saint Peter's Basilica was nearly empty and we spent the morning marveling at its beauty especially Michelangelo's La Pieta sculpture.

57b0e9650a65f12aaa3e06b8dbfd19b1.jpg

After seeing the changing of the Swiss guards, we made one last stop at our favorite gelato shop, ate it at Piazza Navona before making our way to the Pantheon where walked around the interior looking for Rafael's grave. By 1PM we were ready for lunch then a couple more churches before I suddenly became a little ill. I didn't know my little Spanish legs could move so fast. I also discovered what all Italians already knew: don't eat porcini mushrooms unless you are used to them.

Gelato

d94e97a8cb034a08c2fda4d3aee80668.jpg

Pantheon

e6d1cb8e1a84691795bed874fe69bf74.jpg02b3fe7cbb46f7f228b82c3774a54557.jpg

A few hours later, I was good as new and ready to make new friends. We met big wink at our hotel before heading out to the Marriott. The evening was a success with about eight couples participating and some wine flowing. We had a nightcap at Harry's Bar and headed back to the hotel for a great night's sleep.

Tomorrow we board the beautiful Regent Explorer!

Z and TB

A quick parting post from Rome as we we have a few minutes before our departure for Civitavecchia:

We liked our hotel, the Porto dei Principi. Although it has a stately, Old World feel, it was constructed in 1964. The location is special. Across the street is the Villa Borghese, the third largest (not largest, as I had thought) public park in Rome. Immediate neighbors include a number of embassies.

But it was another neighbor I wanted to mention, a neighbor that made its presence known to me Monday morning at 3:30, when I was awakened to a strange, otherworldly sound coming from across the street.

"Welcome to my world," a young receptionist replied when I mentioned the sound, which I later figured were probably monkeys from the park's zoo. He talked of other unusual nocturnal sounds emanating from the across the street before adding: "But there is something in the neighborhood even scarier than any animal in our zoo--our drivers!"

Arrivederci, Roma!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Well, we made it! We are finally onboard and the ship is every bit as beautiful as we expected. Lunch was excellent and we are now getting ready to walk about and take pics. Can't wait to sail away!

I was a one woman search party this morning -- looking for people I know that are boarding. Fortunately I was able to identify Zqueeze1 and his lovely wife by looking at his foot in an orthopedic shoe. It was great to finally meet them. No sign of mudhen, Mr. Rumor or others that we have met before. Had to run back to the ship before everyone started boarding!

We are settled in our new suite. It is definitely beautiful with an over-the-top balcony. We have noticed two things that were actually better in the F1/F2 and concierge suites....... the closet is considerably larger and the reading lights next to the bed are better. My DH likes to do crossword puzzles in bed and the lighting is insufficient.

Great photo of the Explorer!

Mr. Rumor, Dennis received a note tonight that I believe was forged;) We had a great laugh and are still trying to figure out how you knew where we were sitting.:D

We had a good day and evening. Tomorrow is Toulon, France where we will once again walk around the town. As some of you may remember, the Chef of the Culinary Center suggested that we get olive oil (small can) from Greece, Italy, France and Spain. We already have the olive oil from Greece and Italy...... are not sure that France even makes olive oil but we'll look and then will finish up with Spain. The reason for this is to do a taste test with bread and olive oil when we get home. Also, we are doing a culinary excursion that includes an olive oil tasting.

Life on the Explorer remains fattening but loads of fun.

You know you are among the last to embark when the person behind you on the gangway is the very entertainment staff member who handled your paperwork ten minutes earlier! (For the record, there were still three individuals at just past 3 p.m who hadn't gone through embarkation yet.)

Before we knew it, we were being summoned for the 4:15 compulsory lifeboat drill. We had barely begun unpacking before it was the time to check out the sailaway and renew acquaintances with Nature's Rhythm Trio, the strolling entertainment.

While on deck we connected with fellow Roll Callers "tnr" and made plans for an early dinner in Compass Rose with Max, a favorite server of ours since 2012. Three hours later, after a nice dinner and great conversation, we returned to the room. It is now just past midnight and DW is has just now gotten her share of the closet (larger share, of course) the way she wants it. Our bed beckons. First port (Toulon) and tour (the 7.5 hour Glittering St. Tropez & Port Grimaud) in less than ten hours!

Rich

P.S. Confidential to Travelcat2: Forged note? Engaging in such an act would be "risky" business, indeed!

P.P.S. Confidential to Z and TB: At the sailaway, instead of looking out I kept looking down, searching for the Man With the Funny Shoe. In vain!

Edited by Mr Rumor

We are settled in our new suite. It is definitely beautiful with an over-the-top balcony.

You mentioned at one point that you have a Seven Seas Suite reserved for a cruise. Is this the cruise? We are due to do the Los Angeles-Miami cruise in mid-January, and hope the SS suites will be as nice as you have mentioned. We will be forward on Deck 12 and are aware of the possibility of the motion of the ocean up there, but we like it anyway. If you are in an SS suite now, please let us know how you like it.

Rich: we too were in a "risky" environment last night. Looking forward to meeting you.

We skipped the sail away because The Boss was feeling under the weather. After dinner she summoned up enough strength to go by the shops before hopping into bed by 10PM. Unfortunately, we will cancel our tour in Toulon so she can rest up.

We love the new menu options and dinner was superb. I had the crab salad followed by broiled lobster and a filet. We both thought the portions were a tad on the small side. But we will just adjust to it by ordering more!

Z and TB

Aw, Z, sorry to hear TB is under the weather. Good idea to cancel the tour today so she can rest up and feel better.

I loved that crab appetizer as well. The fresh branzino was delish, too. On the MV on a couple of occasions, Max announced that he was throwing in a lobster tail or two "on the side." We carried on this new tradition last night.

Keeping to my pledge to myself for this cruise I hit the gym a little before 7, taking on the bike and treadmill and burning 315 calories. It's a start!

We're the only morning tour today because we have the longest tour. We'll be back at 5:30, and will have to do a quick change then for the Captain's (Stanislas De Lacombe's) Welcome Reception. Tonight is the first of two Formal Optional nights. I'll do a tux count and let you know the result.

Rich

You mentioned at one point that you have a Seven Seas Suite reserved for a cruise. Is this the cruise? We are due to do the Los Angeles-Miami cruise in mid-January, and hope the SS suites will be as nice as you have mentioned. We will be forward on Deck 12 and are aware of the possibility of the motion of the ocean up there, but we like it anyway. If you are in an SS suite now, please let us know how you like it.

Yes - we will be in a Seven Seas Suite (in 2018 - we changed the cruise date). We are currently in a Grand Suite (1200) which is beautiful but we would probably not choose this particular suite again (noise from Observation Lounge below). I understand that a few suites will receive additional sound-proofing in the near future. The bathroom in the Grand Suite is to die for (well, not literally), however, the closet is smaller than in a concierge, F1 or F2 suite. The balcony is "ginormous". In terms of the "motion of the ocean", I think we need to wait and see on that as the seas have been very calm so far.

Next cruise we will also be in a big suite (Master) then we'll do the Seven Seas Suite. For anyone reading this, it is important to double check that you have reserved a Seven Seas Suite with 1 1/2 bathrooms as some only have 1.

The computer situation on this leg of the cruise is different than the last segment. More people staying online longer (working from the ship I assume) and therefore it becomes more difficult to get a computer. The computer "guru" (great man) said that there are over 400 people online right now. On the Mariner it is almost always under 200. So, the computers are faster but there are too many people on them which slows things down considerably.

Enough complaining. Last night was fun - still haven't seen Rich and Ginny (and several other CC'ers). Our Meet and Greet is still a few days away but should be fun.

P.S., "Z" and Rich - isn't it risky to be talking about our "risky business"? :eek: :D ;)

Chef Kelly (previously in charge of Oceania's culinary classes) oversees the cooking classes. On the basis of our repeat experiences on Marina and Riviera, the Explorer's Culinary Arts Program should be excellent on Explorer. But while she and others are quite personable, she is no-nonsense: make sure you are on time and have your voucher!

Edited by JPR