New Itins

Jancruz

We were interested in both TA's in Nov. and noticed, today, that the Lisbon to Miami changed to Rio.

Thanks for all the replies to my questions!

Denise

Want to do a TA, but Rio, NEVER...... Dirty, filthy, crime and 18% extra tax. What is O thinking? :(:(:(

Want to do a TA, but Rio, NEVER...... Dirty, filthy, crime and 18% extra tax. What is O thinking? :(:(:(

Obviously others want to go there or else they would not go. If you stay away from the favelas, it isn't dirty or filthy and it is reasonably safe (kind of like Rome or many other big cities that O visits). If you don't buy anything, you won't have to pay the tax.

It is truly one of the most visually beautiful cities in the world (despite many problems).

Also, it's not the only major city in the world with problems. If that was the sole criteria for visiting places, we may not have that many choices left - some people exclude entire continents :)

You can always do a TA to Miami :D

Edited by Paulchili

Marina is doing it this Dec 19 to Jan 5,2017 and Sirena in Feb/March 2018.

Maybe they'll do it in again in winter '18 - '19.

Sirena dates are more March (spring is almost in the air). Hoping Marina does the same thing in 2018...just pushing into the New Year a bit earlier. I'm still a working stiff in accounting and month ends are difficult. I would willing pay the Brazilian taxes for on board charges for dates that magically work around my screwy schedule. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

A working person's choices, if they want to do something warmer and a bit exotic (non Caribbean) in the winter months are limited to Tahiti. LOL..still dreaming of Capetown to Singpore...it will have to wait.

A working person's choices, if they want to do something warmer and a bit exotic (non Caribbean) in the winter months are limited to Tahiti. LOL..still dreaming of Capetown to Singpore...it will have to wait.

Not necessarily.

You can do shorter cruises in Australia/NZ or around Singapore or Cape Town during winter months.

But then you'd have to put up with the long flights for short cruises :eek:

Edited by Paulchili

I actually just returned from Insignia Lima to BA. A lovely cruise and after we disembarked in BA, we then flew to Rio. We stayed at Belmond Copacabana Palace and saw many of the highlights. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The pre trip to Machu Picchu, penguins,and our own side trip to Rio were our favorites on this trip. We love Rio and hope your comment does not impact others in choosing to visit this beautiful city.

Not necessarily.

You can do shorter cruises in Australia/NZ or around Singapore or Cape Town during winter months.

But then you'd have to put up with the long flights for short cruises :eek:

We've done AUS land...so it's a case of going back for NZ and I've been looking at those itineraries. Dang it, I just can't get dates to work. I've also been looking real hard at the shorter Africas. But, they would tail in with a land Safari during a budget buster high, high season (holidays).

LOL...I just posted somewhere else today on CC that I have no problem flying to Europe for a longish weekend. We've done it 4 times. But, those real long flights, at our age, now mean front of the bus. You've captured the issue exactly though, those far away destination trips have to be long enough to make the entire trip cost effective on a per day basis.

I actually just returned from Insignia Lima to BA. A lovely cruise and after we disembarked in BA, we then flew to Rio. We stayed at Belmond Copacabana Palace and saw many of the highlights. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The pre trip to Machu Picchu, penguins,and our own side trip to Rio were our favorites on this trip. We love Rio and hope your comment does not impact others in choosing to visit this beautiful city.

I hope to get there one day. Sounds wonderful!

We've done AUS land...so it's a case of going back for NZ and I've been looking at those itineraries. Dang it, I just can't get dates to work. I've also been looking real hard at the shorter Africas. But, they would tail in with a land Safari during a budget buster high, high season (holidays).

LOL...I just posted somewhere else today on CC that I have no problem flying to Europe for a longish weekend. We've done it 4 times. But, those real long flights, at our age, now mean front of the bus. You've captured the issue exactly though, those far away destination trips have to be long enough to make the entire trip cost effective on a per day basis.

To quote my favorite CD - "For fuuuture reference".......

There are often exceptionally good fares on Emirates from S. Africa to US in premium cabins - not the case for the reverse direction.

For example a First from Cape Town to SFO via Dubai was "only" around $3,300 - that is for a 9 + 16 hour flights in Emirates First with a shower! Business was obviously even less. The reverse from SFO to CPT was exactly $10,000 more - go figure.

CPT to SFO was the only premium international flight I had paid for in the last 15 years (or so) - the rest were for miles.

Keep that in mind when you decide to go to S Africa :)

Edited by Paulchili

Just curious really. When O says bookings open on the 16th, is that @ midnight EST for online bookings? At 8:00a EST? Or is it an arbitrary time.

I guess it is NOT after midnight EST - must be when the home office opens on the 16th.

Good luck getting through :D

Went crazy and booked three cruises for fall 2018 in addition to the one we already have booked for spring 2018 :D I booked these three directly w/O and will transfer them to my agent (she's out today).

One thing I found interesting ... I wanted to book two of the cruises as B:B, but the O agent said they are not doing B:B bookings in 2018 (these two cruises are not listed as a Grand Voyage in the 2018 Europe/Americas brochure). I may have been able to get around that by booking one in my name and one in my husband's name, but it's really a non-issue for us. Out of curiosity, I would be interested in the experiences others have when trying to book B:B in 2018.

One thing I found interesting ... I wanted to book two of the cruises as B:B, but the O agent said they are not doing B:B bookings in 2018 (these two cruises are not listed as a Grand Voyage in the 2018 Europe/Americas brochure). I may have been able to get around that by booking one in my name and one in my husband's name, but it's really a non-issue for us. Out of curiosity, I would be interested in the experiences others have when trying to book B:B in 2018.

I am not understanding this I am sure are you saying you cannot book 2 cruises together?

I would think it odd to turn away business :eek:

I am not understanding this I am sure are you saying you cannot book 2 cruises together?

I would think it odd to turn away business :eek:

You can book two (or more) cruises together and I did ... but only with a single booking number applied to them as they do with grand voyages, instead of two separate booking numbers as others have done in the past to get a point for each cruise instead of one point because combined cruise is less than 24 days.

Getting the extra point or not is not really a concern for me. I was just curious if others who plan to book multiple segments not shown as grand voyages are told the same thing I was told by O or their TA ... which is that multiple segments that follow one another can only be booked under a single booking number in 2018.

Getting the extra point or not is not really a concern for me. I was just curious if others who plan to book multiple segments not shown as grand voyages are told the same thing I was told by O or their TA ... which is that multiple segments that follow one another can only be booked under a single booking number in 2018.

That would be a bummer

I would want the extra cruise credit :eek:

One booking number. The itinerary for second segment does not appear on your list of booked cruises. Web glitch. But you get amenities and credit for each segment

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is what O told me this morning as well. Apparently they hope to deploy within the next couple of weeks the functionality to show the second leg itinerary and amenities.