CC Holds

Classiccruiser777

I have never seen it on Oceania but Princess places a hold on your credit card for every single purchase onboard (excursions, etc). They appear as pending charges that never go through - only the final bill goes through.

Not seen it on Oceania as a "pending charge"

I have never seen it on Oceania but Princess places a hold on your credit card for every single purchase onboard (excursions, etc). They appear as pending charges that never go through - only the final bill goes through.

Not seen it on Oceania as a "pending charge"

Actually, if you buy a relatively "big ticket" item, like the prestige package, after boarding, O will get an authorization on your card for some amount along the lines of the difference between the package cost and your available OBC.

Actually, if you buy a relatively "big ticket" item, like the prestige package, after boarding, O will get an authorization on your card for some amount along the lines of the difference between the package cost and your available OBC.

I guess I have never bought a prestige package or any other "big ticket" item (plus we usually have good size OBC) - hence my ignorance ;D

I guess I have never bought a prestige package or any other "big ticket" item (plus we usually have good size OBC) - hence my ignorance ;D

A charge relating to a purchase is not what the OP is inquiring about.

Hospitality businesses which require that a Credit Card be registered at the start of a rental (be it a hotel room, a rental car, or a cruise ship cabin), typically require a certain level of credit availability throughout the rental period, thus ensuring that the card could be charged in the event of damages.

To that end, said companies will often place a hold on the minimum amount of credit which they deem appropriate, and then release it when the rental product is returned in satisfactory condition.

OP wants to know how much that minimum hold would be, based on a twelve day voyage.

How would one know if they placed a hold on your CC if you do not make large purchases ??

I do check my CC online but have never seen any holds listed

Like Paul we do not purchase the beverage package & have a sizable OBC usually

How would one know if they placed a hold on your CC if you do not make large purchases ??

HAL puts a $60 pp pd charge on your card no matter what you're spending. You'd only notice that if you had a small limit or checked your available credit online. Or went to use your card and it was declined :eek:

HAL puts a $60 pp pd charge on your card no matter what you're spending. You'd only notice that if you had a small limit or checked your available credit online. Or went to use your card and it was declined :eek:

Thanks

We have a 5 figure limit so never had an issue ;)

The Consumer will never see this type of activity online, because that only shows transactions which have been posted against the account.

What you would have to be looking for are variations between the amount owed and your remaining credit available.

For example, if one has a $10,000 limit and owes $2000 the available credit remaining should be $8000.

Should Hertz place a hold on a further $1000, as collateral against possible damages for a rental car, the amount that you owe the credit card company would not change, but your available credit would appear decreased until you returned the car.

This happens with anything and everything where a credit card is used in lieu of an actual deposit.

Trust is commendable, but you cannot take it to the bank.

The Consumer will never see this type of activity online, because that only shows transactions which have been posted against the account.

What you would have to be looking for are variations between the amount owed and your remaining credit available.

For example, if one has a $10,000 limit and owes $2000 the available credit remaining should be $8000.

Should Hertz place a hold on a further $1000, as collateral against possible damages for a rental car, the amount that you owe the credit card company would not change, but your available credit would appear decreased until you returned the car.

This happens with anything and everything where a credit card is used in lieu of an actual deposit.

Trust is commendable, but you cannot take it to the bank.

OR, depending on your CC company (e.g., Chase's United Explorer Visa), you can customize your "alerts" to get e-mail notices of authorizations (e.g., international, phone, exceeding $XX). I've gotten them while onboard.

We had a $100 hold placed on our CC. The only was I found this out was I was checking on my card to see if a recent payment went thru. I figured that was what is was but asked at recept anyway. After she saw the amount of OBC we had she removed it immediately. She said they put holds when you check in. Hotels do it all the time.

<font size="3"><font face="Arial">The Consumer will never see this type of activity online, because that only shows transactions which have been posted against the account.

Absolutely untrue! Every credit card we have and we have quite a few shows a pending charge as soon as the card is run thru the terminal. So quick, have seen the pending charge before leaving the store. This is what I believe people are calling a hold. Yes, it does reduce your available credit until it comes off of being pending which is usually when the charge is posted (owed) or after a certain amount of days, a week or so if not replaced with a charge. So, even when a hotel, cruise line, airline, car rental or any establishment accepting your credit card puts in a pending charge, it is automatically removed after some number of days of which I can't be sure but, have never seen one remain more than a week. This would occur for example when you buy something on line and they run your card and find they have to backorder your item so they can't normally charge your card until it ships so it remains a pending until dropping off until the item is shipped and then becomes a charge. Because this pending or hold does drop off after sometime, it is possible to exceed your credit limit in cases when the card is not charged fairly quickly like a cruise of longer of 7 days, backorders, etc.

You've made my point for me, Dave.

The Holds of which I speak do not represent possible transactions, they are, for want of a better term, guarantees of "available collateral" (i.e. if the rental is returned in satisfactory condition, no further charges will ever be assessed).

The term of said hold is determined by the merchant, and in the case of the twelve day Cruise which this thread discusses, the hold would remain for the length of the cruise, and would come off when the passengers' account was settled during the disembarkation process.

NO Jim, I did not make any points for you as most of what your points are are incorrect and nonsense. You said The Consumer will never see this type of activity online, because that only shows transactions which have been posted against the account. This is completely untrue as what you call the hold is the same as the pending charges which appear on every credit or charge card on line account I've ever seen. It is true that pending charges or holds are not transactions but, they are available to everyone viewing their on line account. Know the pending charges are identical to your hold because the available credit has always equaled the total credit minus transactions and pending charges. No mysterious hold hiding in the background. Also, know what you are talking about in terms of guarantee of collateral and that is pending charges as have had that occur many times while renting cars, renting hotel rooms, checking into hotels, etc. and they have always shown up as pending charges which are in view on line. There is no unviewable hold hiding in the background and everyone of those pending charges have NEVER stayed on my account for more than 7 days including a 115 nite world cruise and more recently a large pending charge in Norway for a car rental where I declined the CDW. Did have a minor fender bender on that rental and took over a week for Hertz to provide an estimate for the repair I was responsible for and in about 5 days the pending charge was gone on my account and I had my full line of credit. Unless credit cards are handled differently in the new yawk area (I do have cards from large new yawk banks) sorry but, you are just plain wrong and as I said, I most definitely did NOT make any of your points that are completely incorrect and will confuse other cruisers looking for this information..

Edited by rallydave

We have always had OBC so never saw any pending charges initially. Once OBC was exhausted we would see multiple pending charges as our account was increasing. As Dave correctly stated the pending charge is collateral and is treated as a charge against your credit limit. When you close out the account the final charge is billed and the pending charges are removed.

Edited by PaulMCO

as mentioned the vendor hotel, car rental, cruise, will ALL enter a amount to inquire as to the fiscal health of the customer. To see if you have the means to honor ship board debt. It is placed in the pending status and so only applied to see your current depth of payment ability.

It is normal business and you should expect up to $100 a day depending on status and OBC entitlement . If using a Debit card the amount can be double or triple a credit card pending hold.

Most who sail on O have a much deeper resource depth that this question never becomes a question.

If however, your maxed on your cards it might be.... and brings into question the wisdom of taking an expensive trip.....

If this is worrisome, one might well ask should I even be considering taking an expensive vacation or should I wait till I can better absorb the impact without breaking the bank.

I don't know about others but I've been on Oceania cruises where they didn't even ask me for a credit card until about 1/2 way into to the cruise.

You must be special then :D

We have always had to supply one at check in before we get our cruise card